Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Actaully I think its been confirmed that Kaiser and Death are different kaiju. I didn't know Dagahra was your favorite ;) :P

I consider Mothra Leo to be male, since ive seen some official artwork showing the ancient times with only various Mothra Leos and in his powerup forms and just plain Mothras flying around.
He's one of my favorites, that's for certain. Also Mothra Leo is male especially since the movies show it.
I was confused because sometimes the dub refers to Mothra Leo as female.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I was confused because sometimes the dub refers to Mothra Leo as female.
Ah that makes sense.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Here's a confession. I love Toho's monsters because they all, with few exceptions, have interesting and unique histories and motivations. It's part of what separates them from their American brethren and what makes them stand apart. Now here's the confession part, it really irritates me than all the G14 fanboys seem to want every kaiju in the MonsterVerse to have to same exact boring origin. Taking those aspects away from characters like Mothra and Ghidorah is taking away an integral part of what defines them and makes them unique. Ghidorah's origin has shifted over the years to varying degrees of success but Mothra has always had more or less the same origin ever since her inception. I'm glad it seems like Dougherty his taking their long storied histories into account and not just taking the easy way out. Why G14 fanboys don't seem to want that is beyond me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

A Cybernetic Possum
GPN Volunteer

Post by A Cybernetic Possum »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Here's a confession. I love Toho's monsters because they all, with few exceptions, have interesting and unique histories and motivations. It's part of what separates them from their American brethren and what makes them stand apart. Now here's the confession part, it really irritates me than all the G14 fanboys seem to want every kaiju in the MonsterVerse to have to same exact boring origin. Taking those aspects away from characters like Mothra and Ghidorah is taking away an integral part of what defines them and makes them unique. Ghidorah's origin has shifted over the years to varying degrees of success but Mothra has always had more or less the same origin ever since her inception. I'm glad it seems like Dougherty his taking their long storied histories into account and not just taking the easy way out. Why G14 fanboys don't seem to want that is beyond me.
Because thicczilla's origin in G14 is "more grounded" than the usual Godzilla origin, as is G14's world in general, maybe. Or it's presented as being so, at least, and the other two's origins (Mothra's especially?) are too outlandish to fit into it.
Something like that, I guess.

I don't agree with the argument, 'cause Godzilla's gonna be a giant weirdo regardless of how he's come to be, and so are any of his giant weirdo friends. The idea that they'll be super grounded in reality and 200% more believable because they're just a really old giant dragon or just a really old giant moth is kind of silly.
I don't really mind the idea of changing their origins for G14 sequels to maybe greater degrees than usual, though, since Godzilla's is already different anyway.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Here's a confession. I love Toho's monsters because they all, with few exceptions, have interesting and unique histories and motivations. It's part of what separates them from their American brethren and what makes them stand apart. Now here's the confession part, it really irritates me than all the G14 fanboys seem to want every kaiju in the MonsterVerse to have to same exact boring origin. Taking those aspects away from characters like Mothra and Ghidorah is taking away an integral part of what defines them and makes them unique. Ghidorah's origin has shifted over the years to varying degrees of success but Mothra has always had more or less the same origin ever since her inception. I'm glad it seems like Dougherty his taking their long storied histories into account and not just taking the easy way out. Why G14 fanboys don't seem to want that is beyond me.
I feel like some people are so desperate for their love of Godzilla and the movies to be taken seriously in the mainstream that they want to abandon core aspects of the series so that it'll be more acceptable to the general audience.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Yes! I absolutely agree. I love Godzilla 2014. And I love that version of Godzilla. But we don't need to make everything just a prehistoric Superspecies like him. It's okay for Mothra to be mystical and for Ghidorah to be an alien. Those are good things that make the monsters unique.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GalacticPetey wrote:
I feel like some people are so desperate for their love of Godzilla and the movies to be taken seriously in the mainstream that they want to abandon core aspects of the series so that it'll be more acceptable to the general audience.
I agree with that assessment.

I also think that there's a small subset of the fandom that has never really appreciated the more mystical and... touchy-feely, I guess?... aspects of Mothra as a character.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

GalacticPetey wrote:
And that is why, I think, G14 largely failed for me. I feel G14 tried almost too hard not to be GINO 2.0. Gladly the setup part is out of the way and Dougherty and Co can run wild with it now, which they more or less seem to be doing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

My confession: I'm more excited about the Kaiju Wakusei Trilogy than what I am about the Monsterverse.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Destorogoji wrote:My confession: I'm more excited about the Kaiju Wakusei Trilogy than what I am about the Monsterverse.
Does that mean Monster Planet? If so then yeah im more excited for that then the MV as well.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Lol, Animezilla looks like crap, and I have absolutely no desire to watch it.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

^ Knew someone would say this eventually.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Lol, Animezilla looks like crap, and I have absolutely no desire to watch it.
We had a good run Lain....But....I think it's over between us. You've said some stupid things in the past but I can never forgive you for this....Goodbye :cry: .

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Lol, Animezilla looks like crap, and I have absolutely no desire to watch it.
No thang funny about that.
Dawsbfiremind wrote:^ Knew someone would say this eventually.
Yep, theres always that one person.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

goji89 wrote:
We had a good run Lain....But....I think it's over between us. You've said some stupid things in the past but I can never forgive you for this....Goodbye :cry: .
No, come back...

I was only kidding, I love Anniezilla, I swearz it, his design is super original, and the animation looks fluent as a river in Mississippi!!!

Added in 2 minutes 57 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
No thang funny about that.
Dawsbfiremind wrote:^ Knew someone would say this eventually.
Yep, theres always that one person.
Yeah, shocker human beans have different tastes :lol:
Who would have thought :o
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Let's cut it out on the spam and get back on topic.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

GodEmperorGabara
The Modfather
The Modfather

Post by GodEmperorGabara »

GodzillavsJason wrote:Let's cut it out on the spam and get back on topic.
This.

And Lain, don't start shitposting about Animezilla in other threads either. I already saw your comments about it in the What Made You Laugh thread. You're free to dislike the design, but don't be a twit about it. You want to discuss the design, then be civil about it.
Last edited by GodEmperorGabara on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you eternally now Derzerb, I hope you know this.
<3

Made a Discord server, feel free to message me if you're interested.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

eabaker wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
I agree with that assessment.

I also think that there's a small subset of the fandom that has never really appreciated the more mystical and... touchy-feely, I guess?... aspects of Mothra as a character.
I know, and it's weird. I've always found Mothra to be an interesting and unique addition to Toho's pantheon. A gentle monster with strong ties to mysticism and peace. The fairies, Infant Island, the whole death and rebirth, it's all very unique and engaging. She's a great foil to Godzilla.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GalacticPetey wrote:I know, and it's weird. I've always found Mothra to be an interesting and unique addition to Toho's pantheon. A gentle monster with strong ties to mysticism and peace. The fairies, Infant Island, the whole death and rebirth, it's all very unique and engaging. She's a great foil to Godzilla.
And only becomes dangerous when the shobijin are in danger or something that's not part of the balance of earth/nature (Bones of Godzilla 1954 being used to make Kiryu) otherwise will wage war on humanity.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

I really like all of the FW kaiju designs.