Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by UltramanGoji »

Stump Feet wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Godzilla n Mothra r dating
This is Dougherty’s legacy
Well, he did condone the shipping on Twitter :shrug:
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate this so much.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

You’re telling me, I can’t even browse Reddit without seeing some suggestive Mothra X Godzilla art on every page, scroll through the comment chains and you get

This is gross!!!

and the classic rebuttal

Let people like what they want! Michael Dougherty says it’s ok!
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Stump Feet wrote:I haven’t noticed that in a very long time, save for GuardianGhiddo who quit the site over it
i thought he said he was leaving only temporalily?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

The "let people like things" mentality upsets me. Let me dislike it too then, coward. >:c

Confession: I think Godzilla fan films as a concept are stupid. I feel like most could be pretty neat monster movies, why make it Godzilla? There's a comparison to real Godzilla movies then and any fan-film would have to be exceptionally well made get close to even the worst Godzilla movie (Mechagodzilla 2, KotM, Megaguirus) in quality. Plus then there's no way to profit off of it.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Fish Cakes wrote:The "let people like things" mentality upsets me. Let me dislike it too then, coward. >:c

Confession: I think Godzilla fan films as a concept are stupid. I feel like most could be pretty neat monster movies, why make it Godzilla? There's a comparison to real Godzilla movies then and any fan-film would have to be exceptionally well made get close to even the worst Godzilla movie (Mechagodzilla 2, KotM, Megaguirus) in quality. Plus then there's no way to profit off of it.
Fan films are made because the fans are passionate about what they love, not because they want money.

I think the motive is less on making their own monster movie, and more so that the creator of the fan film feels like they're getting to take part in a franchise they love, if that makes any sense.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Fan films are made because the fans are passionate about what they love, not because they want money.

I think the motive is less on making their own monster movie, and more so that the creator of the fan film feels like they're getting to take part in a franchise they love, if that makes any sense.
It doesn't make sense, but whatever floats their boats I guess. No harm to me.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I kinda just hate the look of fan films :shrug:

Godzilla vs. The Wolfman looks pretty top-notch though, if more fan films were like that, I’d get behind em’.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I made a lot of Godzilla fan films (as well as Romero zombie pastiches and other derivative works) in high school and college specifically because I was trying to learn visual storytelling techniques, and it was easiest to practice those while using something simple and familiar as a template. I learned a lot making those movies, and was later able to apply those lessons to my own original works.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Zombies are somewhat simple to pull off, Godzilla not so much imo.

What did you use for you fan films Mr. Baker?
Long Live The Sting

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stump Feet wrote:Zombies are somewhat simple to pull off, Godzilla not so much imo.

What did you use for you fan films Mr. Baker?
Action figures, mostly, although I ultimately shifted away from including monsters at all, focusing more on stories about Godzilla fans/fandom (the same thing happened in my Godzilla fan fiction as well).

The point, for me, was the never the special effects work, but learning to tell stories around those elements.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Fish Cakes wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:Fan films are made because the fans are passionate about what they love, not because they want money.

It doesn't make sense, but whatever floats their boats I guess. No harm to me.
Sorry if the way I explained it doesn't make any sense. I'm really bad at verbally laying out explanations. It just ends up being a convoluted mess :oops:

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Hey, it’s not just any mess, it’s your mess. Be proud of your mess, I know I am you lil’ scamp :cry:
Long Live The Sting

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Stump Feet wrote:Hey, it’s not just any mess, it’s your mess. Be proud of your mess, I know I am you lil’ scamp :cry:
Thanks Stumpy :lol:

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Sorry if the way I explained it doesn't make any sense. I'm really bad at verbally laying out explanations. It just ends up being a convoluted mess :oops:
Don't feel bad, lol. You're fine. You probably explained fine, it's just not something I'll ever get.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:I made a lot of Godzilla fan films (as well as Romero zombie pastiches and other derivative works) in high school and college specifically because I was trying to learn visual storytelling techniques, and it was easiest to practice those while using something simple and familiar as a template. I learned a lot making those movies, and was later able to apply those lessons to my own original works.
Even if they’re cringey, do you still have these on some drive or something to show everyone?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:I made a lot of Godzilla fan films (as well as Romero zombie pastiches and other derivative works) in high school and college specifically because I was trying to learn visual storytelling techniques, and it was easiest to practice those while using something simple and familiar as a template. I learned a lot making those movies, and was later able to apply those lessons to my own original works.
Even if they’re cringey, do you still have these on some drive or something to show everyone?
The majority of them only exist on tapes. This was mostly back in the 90s. :)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:Godzilla 98 isn't the red headed step child many of you seem to think it is, it's still getting licensed merchandise here and there to this day.

In the flesh,”ゴジラ”, being sold right alongside Shin merch in the Godzilla store.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

^ I don't even like G98 that much but I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

Cool find.
Long Live The Sting

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Whenever I see images of GKOTM's Behemoth, I'm constantly reminded of Bagan. Specifically, the early mammoth designs, such as this or this. It's cool to see a mammalian monster making waves among the more popular lizard, dragon, or dinosaur ones.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think this:

is as epic as this:

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira