Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I need to rewatch Cloverfield one of these days. I remember it being very disappointing, but I was only thirteen when I saw it and I think it got overhyped because of that crazy marketing campaign. Maybe I'd appreciate it more as an adult, without the hype. Found footage is a style of film that I've become more interested in during the past few years, so I'd probably like it better now on that ground alone.
It’s fantastic, really stressful and well done.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:I really think PR's fights are the best monster-vs-monster action we've gotten from the Kaiju Renaissance. Visually dynamic and easy to follow, even with visual noise like rain and neon lights.
That's such a strange sentiment for me to encounter. On top of finding that movie incredibly cheesy and formulaic, I also found the action sequences to just be a lot of indistinguishable grey blobs. Walking out of the theater, there's no way I could have told you what any of the monsters looked like.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I really think PR's fights are the best monster-vs-monster action we've gotten from the Kaiju Renaissance. Visually dynamic and easy to follow, even with visual noise like rain and neon lights.
That's such a strange sentiment for me to encounter. On top of finding that movie incredibly cheesy and formulaic, I also found the action sequences to just be a lot of indistinguishable grey blobs. Walking out of the theater, there's no way I could have told you what any of the monsters looked like.
I can't fathom how anyone could watch the fights and go away thinking there isn't a lot of vibrant, distinct, and blatant color design. It's practically right next to Shin Godzilla in terms of using color to its advantage in action sequences.

Whether or not you like it is another thing, but "indistinguishable grey blobs" is pretty much the last thing anyone would say after watching the movie.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

UltramanGoji wrote:Whether or not you like it is another thing, but "indistinguishable grey blobs" is pretty much the last thing anyone would say after watching the movie.
I... got this from the final battle in PR Uprising. I just remember a lot of grey buildings, and some monster fusion :lol:
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GigaBowserG wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Whether or not you like it is another thing, but "indistinguishable grey blobs" is pretty much the last thing anyone would say after watching the movie.
I... got this from the final battle in PR Uprising. I just remember a lot of grey buildings, and some monster fusion :lol:
Well yeah, PRU is a genuine downgrade in visual design from the first movie. Gone are the careful Jaeger designs patterned after atomic machinery and early military technology and the careful attention to giving them weight. What we have instead is live-action mecha anime but without any of the flashy style that makes those enjoyable.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:[Whether or not you like it is another thing, but "indistinguishable grey blobs" is pretty much the last thing anyone would say after watching the movie.
Maybe the last thing you would expect anyone would say, but clearly not the last thing anyone would say, since I have consistently said it.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

eabaker wrote:
Really? Pretty much everyone I know agrees that Pacific Rim has the most impressive action sequences of any 21st Century kaiju film, and certainly of any American kaiju film. Even the few people I know who are dismissive of the movie still praise the action scenes. "Indistinguishable grey blobs" would be an accurate criticism of the fight scenes in the Michael Bay Transformers movies, but I found all of the fights in Pacific Rim well-lit and easy to follow. I also was impressed that they used a variety of kaiju designs instead of a generic horde of lookalikes. Maybe your theater has a bad screen, because I could easily distinguish the various kaiju and Jaegers from one another.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Maybe your theater has a bad screen, because I could easily distinguish the various kaiju and Jaegers from one another.
Yeah, I saw the movie at an ArcLight. Screen/projection quality? Not an issue.

I'm also sick to death of conversing about this movie, so I'm stopping now.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah, I had a hell of a time following the action scenes in PacRim too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

badbad
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
eabaker wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Maybe your theater has a bad screen, because I could easily distinguish the various kaiju and Jaegers from one another.

Were you wearing sunglasses or something?
Some projectors are getting old, I've noticed my theater had to replace their projectors cause the films were darker than they were supposed to be. No need to be mean.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Living Corpse wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Were you wearing sunglasses or something?
Some projectors are getting old, I've noticed my theater had to replace their projectors cause the films were darker than they were supposed to be. No need to be mean.
You learn something new every day, I guess.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

EDIT: All evidence of conflict deleted
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

bigbad
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Were you wearing sunglasses or something?
Seeing as I've said I'm done talking about the movie, why go to the trouble of quoting me just to be a dick?
Listen, I had no intention of being rude. All I did was ask a question.
You literally quoted him after he said he doesn't want to continue this conversation and insult his eyesight, in what way is that not being a dick?

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

How the hell is asking someone if they were wearing sunglasses while watching a fucking movie not making a rude joke?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I need to rewatch Cloverfield one of these days. I remember it being very disappointing, but I was only thirteen when I saw it and I think it got overhyped because of that crazy marketing campaign. Maybe I'd appreciate it more as an adult, without the hype. Found footage is a style of film that I've become more interested in during the past few years, so I'd probably like it better now on that ground alone.
Just keep in mind it's not about the destruction and monster action but the chaos and uncertainty of being caught in the middle of it all. A lot of people got pissed at the lack of world building and exposition in the film but that's not the point.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Seeing as I've said I'm done talking about the movie, why go to the trouble of quoting me just to be a dick?
Listen, I had no intention of being rude. All I did was ask a question.
You literally quoted him after he said he doesn't want to continue this conversation and insult his eyesight, in what way is that not being a dick?
You're right.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Wait, what happened? I went to edit an old post, and instead created a new post.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

eabaker wrote:Wait, what happened? I went to edit an old post, and instead created a new post.
The quote and the edit are just about right next to each other and if I’m preoccupied I won’t notice the quote blocks, it’s a mistake I make more often than I’d like
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST