Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Voyager »

Pycnofibers on Rodan would be cool.
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Maybe a mane of them around the neck be cool like some of the Heisei Rodan concept art?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Pycnofibers on Rodan would be cool.
Pycnofibers? Is that what they're called (and is that how it's spelled)? And what exactly are they?

I always thought it was fur. You learn something new every day, I think.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

mikelcho wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Pycnofibers on Rodan would be cool.
Pycnofibers? Is that what they're called (and is that how it's spelled)? And what exactly are they?

I always thought it was fur. You learn something new every day, I think.
Yup. It’s spelt Pycnofibers. And they’re hair-like filaments.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I've thought about his chest spikes being pycnofibers but like Des said, a mane would be cool as well.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Nah, the mane should be Ghidorah's thing. Though i think some phycnoderms (or however their spelt) could be cool!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Yeah Voyager, Pycnofibres are only found on pterosaurs and are more or less derivatives of the same origin crocodilian scales and dinosaur feathers. Look like hair but IRL would probably feel a bit stiffer.
Gigantis wrote:Nah, the mane should be Ghidorah's thing. Though i think some phycnoderms (or however their spelt) could be cool!
By "mane" I meant around the collar near the shoulders. Like so.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Desghidorah wrote:
By "mane" I meant around the collar near the shoulders. Like so.
Oh wow.. okay that looks awesome! I want that!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I have not watched The Godzilla Earth Trilogy yet despite having the means to do so for a while now

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I still have not watched The Mysterians.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Unless you're deliberately avoiding it, I don't know if I'd call that a confession. I imagine most younger Godzilla fans have not seen The Mysterians or most of the non-Godzilla films of its type.

And just to be clear, because someone else here has already jumped down my throat for invalid reasons today, I say younger G-fans because older fans (30s and up) are more likely to have seen the film on TV or video. I mean no disparagement.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

The turtles don't exist in the Heisei Gamera trilogy fact is one of the dumbest things I've heard in Kaiju related media. If it's true that is.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dracosaurian wrote:The turtles don't exist in the Heisei Gamera trilogy fact is one of the dumbest things I've heard in Kaiju related media. If it's true that is.
It's true, Kaneko confirmed it. Dunno why though, not like Gamera would've been less cool if his species was confirmed to exist.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Gigantis wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:The turtles don't exist in the Heisei Gamera trilogy fact is one of the dumbest things I've heard in Kaiju related media. If it's true that is.
It's true, Kaneko confirmed it. Dunno why though, not like Gamera would've been less cool if his species was confirmed to exist.
I'm gonna assume that it was to make Gamera more "serious". All in all, it's just pretty silly imo.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't see what the problem is. It's never mentioned in the films and bears no importance on them, either. And I fail to see how it could have been intended to make a more serious Gamera.

SciFi Japan
In July 2003, Shusuke Kaneko revealed in a video interview for the California film show Thrillville that turtles did not exist in the universe of the 1990s Gamera trilogy. While that premise was never stated directly in any of the films, it set up the idea that mankind saw Gamera not as a giant turtle, but as a strange mythical beast. This concept allowed the filmmakers to experiment more freely with the character over the course of the series, and by GAMERA 3 the monster had evolved into a symbol of destructive power.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Despite it bearing no importance on the films, it just seems silly is all I'm saying. How does having actual turtles in said universe prevent them from experimenting more freely with the character?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't understand that either, and I'm not sure if that's supposed to be Kaneko's intent or a supposition by the writer of the article. I think the more important aspect is "that mankind saw Gamera not as a giant turtle, but as a strange mythical beast."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

My guess is that he didn’t want to emphasize the “he’s a giant turtle” element because the character had become the butt of many jokes partly for that reason and so chose to not have anyone call him a big turtle

Which you can do without writing turtles out of existence, which makes me feel like it was something the author either came up with or misunderstood
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I can understand the logic...but it's still pretty god damn stupid.
Image Image

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Terasawa wrote:And just to be clear, because someone else here has already jumped down my throat for invalid reasons today,
Having a tiny gremlin jumping down your throat and strangling you from within would be a truly horrifying experience

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu