Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I don’t think any of the Showa battles are “bad”, even Gabara and Megalon were fun to watch :shrug:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I don’t think any of the Showa battles are “bad”, even Gabara and Megalon were fun to watch :shrug:
Megalon I can give you a pass....

But Gabara?

You need to get back on your medications.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

What was wrong with the Godzilla vs. Gabara fight :lol: I always thought the judo throw was one of the coolest things ever.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:What was wrong with the Godzilla vs. Gabara fight :lol: I always thought the judo throw was one of the coolest things ever.
You won. Im convinced, I need to take MY medications too if I think this is cool which I do. I mean look at that asshole Minya just staring as someone gets butt fucked in front of him.

Whats weird for ME is that he has no tail and that it just seems he has his bare monster butt cheecks out in the open, I understand that not ALL kaiju need tails but it looks like an unfinished design.
Last edited by goji89 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Well the Gabara suit was a meant to be a Godzilla suit but it came out so ass-ugly, they decided to modify it into a new monster, so I’m guessing they felt a tail would be too “zilla’ Like”
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Well the Gabara suit was a meant to be a Godzilla suit but it came out so ass-ugly, they decided to modify it into a new monster, so I’m guessing they felt a tail would be too “zilla’ Like”
Close. The head is modified from an existing suit, but the body is brand new. It was never meant to be a new Godzilla suit.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

UltramanGoji wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Well the Gabara suit was a meant to be a Godzilla suit but it came out so ass-ugly, they decided to modify it into a new monster, so I’m guessing they felt a tail would be too “zilla’ Like”
Close. The head is modified from an existing suit, but the body is brand new. It was never meant to be a new Godzilla suit.
Was it the PS4 game that claimed Gabara originated from a rejected Godzilla suit? Idk, I remember that from somewhere.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Was it the PS4 game that claimed Gabara originated from a rejected Godzilla suit? Idk, I remember that from somewhere.
No, I got the reused head fact from that. It doesn't appear to say anything about it being from a whole rejected suit.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Ah, misunderstanding on my end. Thanks for clearing it up.
#slatternking

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Ah, misunderstanding on my end. Thanks for clearing it up.
Slink away in shame, your shiitting on my field and fucking up my universe son.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Ah, misunderstanding on my end. Thanks for clearing it up.
Slink away in shame, your shiitting on my field and fucking up my universe son.
Gabara is best Godzilla, get over it.
#slatternking

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I don’t think any of the Showa battles are “bad”, even Gabara and Megalon were fun to watch :shrug:
I love the Showa fights, even the very brief confrontation with the giant condor.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I can't really think of any Showa fights that aren't enjoyable. Some go on for a little bit too long, but still never get BAD.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I never cared for the fight in GTTHM. It's just really underwhelming compared to most of the other fights in the series.

Monster Zero's fights were also lackluster, but I always liked that film mainly for the human action.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I use shorthand for Godzilla films (like GvB equals Godzilla vs. Biollante partly because it’s faster but also partly because if I use a full title I feel peer pressure to be all ‘proper’ and put the movie title in italics and I’m just too lazy, especially on my phone because it means I can’t just use the quick reply because who has time to memorize all those codes.

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote:I never cared for the fight in GTTHM. It's just really underwhelming compared to most of the other fights in the series.

Monster Zero's fights were also lackluster, but I always liked that film mainly for the human action.
I... actually tend to agree with this. Maybe it’s because I never saw GTTHM until I was older and it was always this hallowed film, but I am consistently underwhelmed every time I see it. I like IoAM a lot more.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Yeah, GTTHM is easily the weakest film of the early 60s (which is still pretty good since that was such strong era for the franchise).
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

My confession: I really find the fan appreciation for Monster Zero to be as baffling as... well, 90% of the films the fandom lauds and I don't. ;) When I watched it, I found it to be a relatively dull and lifeless procedural.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to revisiting the American version in our marathon this December, as I have watched the Japanese version the last several times, and probably haven't seen the American cut since childhood- so I'm wondering if this is another Godzilla: Millenium, where the re-edit makes all the difference.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:My confession: I really find the fan appreciation for Monster Zero to be as baffling as... well, 90% of the films the fandom lauds and I don't. ;) When I watched it, I found it to be a relatively dull and lifeless procedural.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to revisiting the American version in our marathon this December, as I have watched the Japanese version the last several times, and probably haven't seen the American cut since childhood- so I'm wondering if this is another Godzilla: Millenium, where the re-edit makes all the difference.
For me, it entirely comes down to the climax where the humans jam the monster control signal and attack the Xilien base. The action and the music, which is my personal favourite Ifukube scene, for me just creates one of the all time best sequences in the entire franchise.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

For the fights in GtTHM and MZ people forget just how large and unwieldy the Ghidorah costume was.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Ghidorah costume wasn't the problem for GTTHM.

It was those fucking Puppet Wars.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.