Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:GMK is basically the cutoff point for my interest in the Godzilla movies. I don’t know when I’ll ever revisit any of the later ones.

I’d gladly trade every Godzilla movie since then (and the Emmerich turd) for high quality modern transfers of the remaining films, especially for the Showa entries.
What about Shin?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Shin is pretty good but I can live without it too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd give up the entire MonsterVerse for the Titra dubs of Son of Godzilla and Sea Monster to finally get a suitable home video release outside of the old VHS tapes.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I'd give up the entire MonsterVerse for the Titra dubs of Son of Godzilla and Sea Monster to finally get a suitable home video release outside of the old VHS tapes.
This. One hundred percent this.

Maybe throw in the AIP Smog Monster dub, too.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I know some TK guys have been doing some quality work with their restorations but I find it too much of a headache to download the files and then trying to burn them onto a DVD-R.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I'd give up the entire MonsterVerse for the Titra dubs of Son of Godzilla and Sea Monster to finally get a suitable home video release outside of the old VHS tapes.
Same, but for the preservation of all English versions of the Showa Godzillas.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I know some TK guys have been doing some quality work with their restorations but I find it too much of a headache to download the files and then trying to burn them onto a DVD-R.
Don’t bother burning them. Put them on a flash thumb drive and plug that into your tv or disc player or roku or whatever you have with a USB port. Playstations can be a bit tricky getting to read drives due to their file formatting requirements, but most other devices should do it just fine.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I'd give up ALL the Godzilla films for a decent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle film reboot.

Bring back the original Jim Henson suits damn it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:I'd give up ALL the Godzilla films for a decent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle film reboot.

My best of both worlds dream: A Godzilla movie with Henson Company effects.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:I'd give up ALL the Godzilla films for a decent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle film reboot.

My best of both worlds dream: A Godzilla movie with Henson Company effects.
:shock: ....... Holy Crap!

Make it happen E, make it happen.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The more I learn about Japanese and World History, as well as Japanese, the more I realized that Godzilla is unabashedly a pro-peace series (at least the Showa series). I've gradually grown to love it more and more. This isn't just related to Japanese/American relations but also things like Okinawa.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Here's a couple "how young are you" confessions: when I was younger and watching some of the Sony DVD releases that had that bit of self-advertisement for the 50th anniversary collection with all the footage from Tokyo S.O.S., I initially thought the footage had been taken from each of the films they were referencing:

In my defense I'm fairly certain it was intentionally edited it to seem that way; when the narrator says Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla it's synched to footage of Kiryu battles and when he says Godzilla vs The Sea Monster it's synched to footage of Godzilla underwater. Thankfully I wasn't disappointed when I actually got around to seeing them.

Also thanks to Sony's 50th Anniversary Collection, there was a period of time where thought King Ghidorah's name was Gigan. First, Gigan wasn't even on the cover of the DVD, but Ghidorah is:
Second, when I first saw the movie (rented from Blockbuster) the guy who had rented it before me had watched it in Japanese with subtitles off and I didn't know how to turn on subs/dubs so the first two or three times I watched it I had no idea what anyone was actually saying until my father came in and decided to show me how.
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

G2000 wrote:Here's a couple "how young are you" confessions: when I was younger and watching some of the Sony DVD releases that had that bit of self-advertisement for the 50th anniversary collection with all the footage from Tokyo S.O.S., I initially thought the footage had been taken from each of the films they were referencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8bt5UPHK0
In my defense I'm fairly certain it was intentionally edited it to seem that way; when the narrator says Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla it's synched to footage of Kiryu battles and when he says Godzilla vs The Sea Monster it's synched to footage of Godzilla underwater. Thankfully I wasn't disappointed when I actually got around to seeing them.

Also thanks to Sony's 50th Anniversary Collection, I thought King Ghidorah's name was Gigan for a little while because for two reasons. First, Gigan wasn't even on the cover of the DVD, but Ghidorah is:
Second, when I first saw the movie (rented from Blockbuster) the guy who had rented it before me had watched it in Japanese with subtitles off and I didn't know how to turn on subs/dubs so the first two or three times I watched it I had no idea what anyone was actually saying until my father came in and decided to show me how.
I fondly remember those DVDS and cherish them to this day.

Those were IMO the first decent presentations of Godzilla films and would set the groundwork to come. I remember them having really interesting and stylized selection screens and other stuff.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

G2000 wrote:Here's a couple "how young are you" confessions: when I was younger and watching some of the Sony DVD releases that had that bit of self-advertisement for the 50th anniversary collection with all the footage from Tokyo S.O.S., I initially thought the footage had been taken from each of the films they were referencing:
OH MY GOD SAME! I always thought there were knew Hedorah and Gigan movies that I had never heard of. It was on my Final Wars DVD.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I think whoever came up with the idea of Moguera having a drill nose to fend off monsters is a fucking sadist.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Living Corpse wrote:I think whoever came up with the idea of Moguera having a drill nose to fend off monsters is a skreeonking sadist.
What else is it gonna do in close quarters combat? Those arms aren't made for slappin'.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Komenja wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I think whoever came up with the idea of Moguera having a drill nose to fend off monsters is a skreeonking sadist.
What else is it gonna do in close quarters combat? Those arms aren't made for slappin'.
Electrically charged hull.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Komenja wrote:
Electrically charged hull.

RIP Evan.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Living Corpse wrote:Electrically charged hull.
What are the deets on that?
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:BIG OL PLASMA CANNON
I do appreciate a good ol "eat my chest laser" but it's risky with the start up; someone smart'll side-hop when they see those arms go to the side, and then you're vulnerable on the end lag and free game for punishing if they were right next to you. It's safer to throw that out from like mid-range, not up-close.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I always thought the drill nose was cool yet laughable. But i gotta give G-Force credit, they put it to good use at least. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!