Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Jermobooka »

The Monsterverse is my favorite Godzilla film series/continuity

I love and prefer the wackier, Showa feel of the Monsterverse to the “realistic” and “”grounded”” feel of G14

The Heisei Gamera trilogy is way better than the Heisei Godzilla series

Heisei Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra are my least favorite designs and incarnations of their respective characters. Godzilla is pretty good though

Monsterverse Godzilla, Kong, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan are my favorite designs and incarnations of their respective characters

KOTM is not a good film. At all. Very little redeeming qualities.

I enjoy and prefer Shin Godzilla (creature and film) over Gojira.
Can i go get my cross now? I want to get a head start on my crucifixion
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Some spicy meatballs here, especially the last one lol.

Don't worry I agree with a lot of these (though I won't say which) but good choices.

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 pm Some spicy meatballs here, especially the last one lol.

Don't worry I agree with a lot of these (though I won't say which) but good choices.
Choose wisely

Because that post was fully loaded.... It gave me cancer.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Wait im so confused! Prefers the tone of KSI and KotM over G14 yet thinks KotM is a terrible film and yet somehow the MonsterVerse is still his favorite?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The flip flop is strong with this one.
For Emperor and Empire!

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

I enjoyed Godzilla 2014 more than kotm
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

As a Ghidorah fan by law I have to praise G:KOM because it has my fav version of the character to date, though I will say Kong: Skull Island has been my fav movie so far in the MonsterVerse.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:42 am Wait im so confused! Prefers the tone of KSI and KotM over G14 yet thinks KotM is a terrible film and yet somehow the MonsterVerse is still his favorite?
I know, my opinions are all over the place lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

G14 feels like a film that actively tries to keep you from watching it.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm G14 feels like a film that actively tries to keep you from watching it.
How so? I’m going to give it a rewatch today in preparation of Godzilla vs Kong.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:31 pm
Kiryu2012 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm G14 feels like a film that actively tries to keep you from watching it.
How so? I’m going to give it a rewatch today in preparation of Godzilla vs Kong.
My main issues with G14 is how it teases the audience too much with hiding Godzilla and the MUTOs, leaving us with only a few minutes of them on-screen, and that's mostly in the action scenes. Apart from that, I just can't get into the human cast in G14 as well as I could with the likes of the KSI and KOTM cast. There's also apparently DVD versions of this film that make some scenes too dark to discern anything, and the lighting was already an issue I had with the film to begin with. Compared to its successors, G14 feels like a chore to sit through despite it's strength. A friend of mine once said that he'd watch G98 over this for how often it shows its kaiju, and I honestly feel compelled to agree.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

True. The fucking thing is shot with a God damn samsung phone that is too dark.
Fuck this movie it'd be great If I could see what the fuck was happening.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:26 pm
True. The skreeonking thing is shot with a God damn samsung phone that is too dark.
skreeonk this movie it'd be great If I could see what the skreeonk was happening.
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem laughs at you.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:03 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:26 pm
True. The skreeonking thing is shot with a God damn samsung phone that is too dark.
skreeonk this movie it'd be great If I could see what the skreeonk was happening.
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem laughs at you.
Ooooof.....yeah that one sucked.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:47 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:31 pm
My main issues with G14 is how it teases the audience too much with hiding Godzilla and the MUTOs, leaving us with only a few minutes of them on-screen, and that's mostly in the action scenes.
I feel like G14 is confident int he quality of its kaiju action - which I find much more impressive than most of what's in K:SI or KotM - and uses the slow-burn and the teases to earn those payoffs.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

eabaker wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:17 pm I feel like G14 is confident int he quality of its kaiju action - which I find much more impressive than most of what's in K:SI or KotM - and uses the slow-burn and the teases to earn those payoffs.
The problem is that everything surrounding these bits of monster action is dull as hell. You can take the slow-burn approach, but you better have some interesting chatacter/story moments to keep the audience invested in between the set-pieces. Jaws this ain't.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:26 pm
eabaker wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:17 pm I feel like G14 is confident int he quality of its kaiju action - which I find much more impressive than most of what's in K:SI or KotM - and uses the slow-burn and the teases to earn those payoffs.
The problem is that everything surrounding these bits of monster action is dull as hell. You can take the slow-burn approach, but you better have some interesting chatacter/story moments to keep the audience invested in between the set-pieces. Jaws this ain't.
I think "everything" and "as hell" are both exaggerations, but regardless, I don't think more monster footage would solve the problems with movie's human drama; they'd just dilute the value of the monster footage that's in there.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

eabaker wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:32 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:26 pm
I think "everything" and "as hell" are both exaggerations, but regardless, I don't think more monster footage would solve the problems with movie's human drama; they'd just dilute the value of the monster footage that's in there.
They're less exaggerations and more just purely subjective observations. To me, there's almost nothing interesting happening with the plot or characters after Joe's death. It's all pretty "been there, done that" stuff, with little reason to care.

I agree that more monster action wouldnt have fixed this, but it at least would have given the viewer more of what they came to see.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:48 pm I agree that more monster action wouldnt have fixed this, but it at least would have given the viewer more of what they came to see.
And I feel like the movie succeeds in "less-is-more"ing its monster action so well that more would be distinctly... less.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:48 pm
They're less exaggerations and more just purely subjective observations. To me, there's almost nothing interesting happening with the plot or characters after Joe's death. It's all pretty "been there, done that" stuff, with little reason to care.

I agree that more monster action wouldnt have fixed this, but it at least would have given the viewer more of what they came to see.
I agree with this. The characters acting as first bananas to the monsters was pretty dumb considering they were dull as fuck aside from Joe. They cut away too much wanting for the Jaws treatment with characters that were just not interesting.