Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by KillCrites »

Grievous wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Why can't Megatron be an autobot?
Fine, then let all iconic villains be good guys.

I want good guy Joker
Good guy Thanos
Good guy Desotroyah

Get my point?

I mean take away the villain and the hero's sieze to exist
Basically this...

Also for Megatron to be accepted as an Autobot is to seemingly
forgive him for all the crimes he committed for the Decepticon
ideology...and ideology in some cases he started.
Except nobody forgave him and he was never actually redeemed of his actions at all. He had a change of heart, yeah, but he never was redeemed.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And only a doctor/professor deals in absolutes...

You know, if Toho is going to keep using and reusing Ghidorah like they've been, I wouldn't mind another one-off experimental take. What if Ghidorah and Godzilla wound up joining forces against some larger threat? Or what if both were evil, evenly matched, and fighting for world domination, and we get this bleak, hopeless movie where it's a no-win scenario for humanity? I don't see why everything should have to stay in the same old box all the time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

To me, Mechagodzilla is the one that ALWAYS has to be opposite. Ghidorah is, at the end of the day, another animal. Alpha, controlled by aliens, guardian monster, whatever he may be he's still an animal. Mechagodzilla has always been created simply to counter Godzilla. He is the only foe I'd not be thrilled about a team up with.
Last edited by Maritonic on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

JAGzilla wrote:And only a doctor/professor deals in absolutes...

You know, if Toho is going to keep using and reusing Ghidorah like they've been, I wouldn't mind another one-off experimental take. What if Ghidorah and Godzilla wound up joining forces against some larger threat? Or what if both were evil, evenly matched, and fighting for world domination, and we get this bleak, hopeless movie where it's a no-win scenario for humanity? I don't see why everything should have to stay in the same old box all the time.
If Frieza and Goku can do it surely they can too. As long as by the end he returns to his evil self of destroying planets

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Grievous wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Why can't Megatron be an autobot?
Fine, then let all iconic villains be good guys.

I want good guy Joker
Good guy Thanos
Good guy Desotroyah

Get my point?

I mean take away the villain and the hero's sieze to exist
Basically this...

Also for Megatron to be accepted as an Autobot is to seemingly
forgive him for all the crimes he committed for the Decepticon
ideology...and ideology in some cases he started.
So by this post I take it you haven't actually read any of the comics with Autobot Megatron?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Maritonic wrote:To me, Mechagodzilla is the one that ALWAYS has to be opposite. Ghidorah is, at the end of the day, another animal. Alpha, controlled by aliens, guardian monster, whatever he may be he's still an animal. Mechagodzilla has always been created simply to counter Godzilla. He is the only foe I'd not be thrilled about a team up with.
Really?

I’m the opposite, sort of. While I generally don’t like the idea of Good Guy Ghidorah (though it can probably be done well, as it was in GMK), I could very easily see Godzilla and a human-created Mechagodzilla teaming up, either because the humans piloting Mechagodzilla recognizing another monster poses a greater threat and decide to temporarily help Godzilla out (a la Half-Century War) or as the result of a Kiryu-style beserk freakout.
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think Mechagodzilla was briefly aligned with Godzilla at the end of Tokyo SOS when it became unresponsive to controls and returned a dying Godzilla and the bones of its ancestor to the bottom of the Pacific. That's not quite "Mechagodzilla teams up with Godzilla to defeat another monster" but it's notably the only time one of the two characters assisted the other.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:I think Mechagodzilla was briefly aligned with Godzilla at the end of Tokyo SOS when it became unresponsive to controls and returned a dying Godzilla and the bones of its ancestor to the bottom of the Pacific. That's not quite "Mechagodzilla teams up with Godzilla to defeat another monster" but it's notably the only time one of the two characters assisted the other.
I thought about bringing this up, but that movie is so incomprehensible to me that I wasn't sure if I was remembering/interpreting it properly.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Was Godzilla even dying at the end of Tokyo SOS? All I remember was that he got webbed up

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

KillCrites wrote:Except nobody forgave him and he was never actually redeemed of his actions at all. He had a change of heart, yeah, but he never was redeemed.
So...what was the point of him becoming an Autobot then?
UltramanGoji wrote:So by this post I take it you haven't actually read any of the comics with Autobot Megatron?
I haven't read the comics themselves...but I did follow the IDW series through
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page.

Comics are too expensive in Australia to buy on a monthly basis...
and TPBs aren't any cheaper.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Grievous wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:So by this post I take it you haven't actually read any of the comics with Autobot Megatron?
I haven't read the comics themselves...but I did follow the IDW series through
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page.

Comics are too expensive in Australia to buy on a monthly basis...
and TPBs aren't any cheaper.
Then I'm wondering why you made it seem like the comics never discussed the ramifications of Megatron's reformation, because it was a pretty big conflict in the first parts of Season 3 of More Than Meets The Eye and was explored much further in later issues as well.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is, considering I was generally supported the last time I posted it elsewhere, but I tend to prefer the depiction of Godzilla as an ancient beast who has always been as large and powerful as he is (a la the original Showa films and the Legendary series) as opposed to him being a mutated dinosaur as in the 1990s films. I just really like the idea of him being this ancient, primordial beast who predates humanity and perhaps even the dinosaurs.

Shin gets a pass in this regard because it really took the atomic mutant idea and ran with it while the 90s series didn't for the most part
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I like for my Godzills to be "almost immortal" in the sense of that he is nature incarnate. Like ROG stated. He is like a tornado an earthquake or a volcanoe....you cant defeat it but rather live through it as best you can. He can get hurt or whatever and broken to the point of death but that he doesnt die.....I like the force of nature allegory for him. And as for the ancient part.....

I really dont know what version of him I like....mutant dinosaur or just born that way.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

G2000 wrote:Was Godzilla even dying at the end of Tokyo SOS? All I remember was that he got webbed up
He had just been critically wounded by Kiryu and the JSDF wasn't going to let Godzilla just walk off or get cocooned. I'm not sure Kiryu would have been successful but it did prove it was able to inflict major wounds to Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

UltramanGoji wrote:Then I'm wondering why you made it seem like the comics never discussed the ramifications of Megatron's reformation, because it was a pretty big conflict in the first parts of Season 3 of More Than Meets The Eye and was explored much further in later issues as well.
I'm guessing that I don't really remember it because I didn't
care becauseI never bought into Megatron being an Autobot?

No need for you to wonder anymore.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

The more I look at Anguirus, the more I don't really care for "Ankylosaur " origin/classification. If he were to return in a future film I'd like to see a different one.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

G2000 wrote:Was Godzilla even dying at the end of Tokyo SOS? All I remember was that he got webbed up
That’s all that happens, he just gets webbed up.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
That’s all that happens, he just gets webbed up.
After being stabbed in an unhealed wound. Godzilla doesn't fight back after that. Read that however you want. The JXSDF are then prepared to "finish" Godzilla with the Triple Maser. ("Finish him" is the line in the TriStar dubtitles and an earlier fansub.) Godzilla might not have been mortally wounded but he was at the very least critically injured. I said "dying" earlier: after watching that sequence just now it's not as grave as I remembered it. It's actually pretty vague. But I stand by what I typed earlier, Godzilla had no means of fighting back and Kiryu and Mothra probably would have finished him off (Toho's words, not mine) if not for Kiryu going berserk. That seems to be the filmmakers' intent.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Dracosaurian wrote:The more I look at Anguirus, the more I don't really care for "Ankylosaur " origin/classification. If he were to return in a future film I'd like to see a different one.
Yeah there aren't many "ankylosaur" traits in his overall design, except for his tail and back armor which is more porcupine than Ankylosaur lol. I could see him with more Mammalian Reptile traits similar to the bear/eagle/komodo Legendary Godzilla. Maybe Komodo/Porcupine/Tiger? Mixing it up a bit I could totally see it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Anguirus just needs to be half-Tasmanian Tiger and half-porcupine.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking