Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Terasawa »

G2000 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Guy Mariner Tucker submitted a draft for the Godzilla story contest in '86 or '87 that had a glowing red Godzilla appear in Hong Kong. Guess what Toho did in 1995.

Concerning Godzilla 3, as I said, those rumors at the time were literally just rumors.
They also adapted that one guy's script from the same contest into Gunhed.
I'm a sucker for lost projects so I wish we knew more about all the scripts/drafts submitted during that contest. Most were probably trash, but at least a few were probably decent enough.
James Bannon at least got story credit in Gunhed, but yeah.

Tucker's story about it is in this video. His draft also had a psychic teenage girl who had a connection with the monsters.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Didn't Tucker's draft also feature Anguirus, who was a monster planned for some of the various phases before the final script was finally decided on?

Lol, that vid of him praising Destoroyah did not age well
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

A part of me is actually glad the 1994 Godzilla film was never made although I still would had liked to have seen it.

Because otherwise the flawless masterpiece of a trilogy and favorite movies ever known as the Heisei Gamera Trilogy probably never would had been made to begin with given Gamera's origin was similar to Godzilla's in that film which was likely the inspiration.

That and it gave Gamera the respect he needed and origin helping him stand out from others like Godzilla (Surviving dinosaur mutated by nuclear radiation), King Kong (Giant ape from an island of an bygone age) and Ultraman (Alien hero from another planet).

Speaking of which. Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera and Ultraman should be the considered the symbols of icons of the kaiju genre called The Big Four.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:A part of me is actually glad the 1994 Godzilla film was never made although I still would had liked to have seen it.

Because otherwise the flawless masterpiece of a trilogy and favorite movies ever known as the Heisei Gamera Trilogy probably never would had been made to begin with given Gamera's origin was similar to Godzilla's in that film which was likely the inspiration.

That and it gave Gamera the respect he needed and origin helping him stand out from others like Godzilla (Surviving dinosaur mutated by nuclear radiation), King Kong (Giant ape from an island of an bygone age) and Ultraman (Alien hero from another planet).

Speaking of which. Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera and Ultraman should be the considered the symbols of icons of the kaiju genre called The Big Four.
So you like the 90s Gameta trilogy?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:A part of me is actually glad the 1994 Godzilla film was never made although I still would had liked to have seen it.

The final draft of the Rossio and Elliot script was submitted on December 9, 1994. GOTU was already completed at that point. According to SciFi Japan, De Bont was planning to start filming Godzilla in March '95, the same month that Gamera was released in Japan. I think we could have had both.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Terasawa wrote:The final draft of the Rossio and Elliot script was submitted on December 9, 1994. GOTU was already completed at that point. According to SciFi Japan, De Bont was planning to start filming Godzilla in March '95, the same month that Gamera was released in Japan. I think we could have had both.
Heh. Small world. Amazing how big coincidences can be. :)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

And they both had oddly similar plots.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Even thought I'm an atheist, I've always liked religious references and subtexts in kaiju movies (this is totally Evangelion's fault)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Even thought I'm an atheist, I've always liked religious references and subtexts in kaiju movies (this is totally Evangelion's fault)
I'm the same way. Don't embrace theology in any way, except in fiction, where I think it's an extremely powerful narrative device.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Even thought I'm an atheist, I've always liked religious references and subtexts in kaiju movies (this is totally Evangelion's fault)
This being the greatest example

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'm always a sucker for media reusing the Themes of the story of Moses. Religious themes are fine as long as they aren't too on the nose

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Love the idea of kaiju or any beast/ superpower human being thought of as a God or Titan as well. Just seems realistic since most in the real world believe if you have powers you're basically god
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I like that man eaters are rare in Godzilla films, makes the monsters seem more intelligent or have a higher motivation when most of them don't eat people. Eating people is a pretty stock/generic reason for a giant monster attack. Nothing wrong with using it but when a monster has a bigger reason for attacking than just food it makes them feel more like an actual character with goals than just a big dumb mindless animal/plot device.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Living Corpse wrote:I like that man eaters are rare in Godzilla films, makes the monsters seem more intelligent or have a higher motivation when most of them don't eat people. Eating people is a pretty stock/generic reason for a giant monster attack. Nothing wrong with using it but when a monster has a bigger reason for attacking than just food it makes them feel more like an actual character with goals than just a big dumb mindless animal/plot device.
Well said! I agree, like even though Gaira was a man eater there was more to him than that.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I like that man eaters are rare in Godzilla films, makes the monsters seem more intelligent or have a higher motivation when most of them don't eat people. Eating people is a pretty stock/generic reason for a giant monster attack. Nothing wrong with using it but when a monster has a bigger reason for attacking than just food it makes them feel more like an actual character with goals than just a big dumb mindless animal/plot device.
Well said! I agree, like even though Gaira was a man eater there was more to him than that.
Agreed on Gaira. Nothing wrong with the food motive but make the monster a character. He befriended Sanda and later they had a fight because they disagreed on humans being friends or food.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Baragon ate some horses in FCTW, did he eat humans in the film too? He's always been the wild puppy dog of the kaiju verse with no real motivation but that's kinda his schtick
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:Baragon ate some horses in FCTW, did he eat humans in the film too? He's always been the wild puppy dog of the kaiju verse with no real motivation but that's kinda his schtick
Yeah, he ate humans, and Frankenstein took the blame for it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

And within Toho itself, there's The Big Six: Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus, King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla.

(Yes, I know that Anguirus wasn't in the Heisei Series, but he did both team up with the first three and fight the last two-and that's saying something, believe me.)
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

mikelcho wrote:And within Toho itself, there's The Big Six: Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus, King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla.

(Yes, I know that Anguirus wasn't in the Heisei Series, but he did both team up with the first three and fight the last two-and that's saying something, believe me.)
I thought it was The Big 5: Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah & Mechagodzilla...

I've never heard anyone mention "The Big 6" or Angurius being included in it...ever.

*Thinks*

Granted it would be awesome if he was.
Last edited by Grievous on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Among non-Japanese fans, Anguirus is probably on an even footing with the Big Five, but since the Japanese don't like him (soulless monsters), he's eternally relegated to Side Character status. :(
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio