Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I feel it’s too early to say this move represents Shin goji becoming the face of the franchise. It was a very successful movie, and just one statue seems about right for that. If Shin goji keeps on showing up in contexts that could be filled by any Godzilla, then it’s the face of the franchise.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

And it's not like the old statue was melted down, or even packed away, just put on display elsewhere. Shin is enjoying a certain prominence right now, but it's not being treated as the sole face of Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Just to note, while Shin clearly is popular and the modern incarnation, what is currently being released (the anime series), has a lot of promotion. Sure, it’s not Shin mania, but there’s definitely a few novels, manga and of course figures to tie into the anime film. For that reason, it’s difficult to say for sure Shin is the new face.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Except for a few exceptions, I constantly forget the names of every human character in Godzilla films, and much of the post-Fukuda creative staff as well. Japanese is just hard, man.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I can't fathom why people still bitch about Godzilla's lack of screen time in Shin despite having nearly twice as much Godzilla as G14.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I can't fathom why people still skreeonk about Godzilla's lack of screen time in Shin despite having nearly twice as much Godzilla as G14.
They probably don't count the earlier forms. The fourth form and LPG have about the same amount, if I remember correctly.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Again, a consequence of CGI... but to me, the bigger question is, why are people suddenly measuring Godzilla films by the screen-time for Godzilla? Surely that's nothing more than a technical stat; the real question is, does the usage of Godzilla serve the story and get into a compelling narrative? For me, the answer on both films is 'yes'; more screentime wouldn't have enhanced the story the directors were trying to tell, and the amount we got didn't detract from a story that was designed to build in a very specific way.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Zarm wrote:Again, a consequence of CGI... but to me, the bigger question is, why are people suddenly measuring Godzilla films by the screen-time for Godzilla?
Because some people, god knows why, still have an eight year-old mentality that how much Godzilla = how good a film is.
Zarm wrote:Surely that's nothing more than a technical stat; the real question is, does the usage of Godzilla serve the story and get into a compelling narrative?
Come on, you know none of the people who complain about screen time actually understand or care about that kind of stuff. :)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Joe's story is plenty compelling enough but unfortunately his story is done less than halfway through the film. After that, outside Godzilla's sporadic and often fleeting appearances, the rest of the human story is incredibly dull and uninvolving and hardly compelling.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I can't fathom why people still skreeonk about Godzilla's lack of screen time in Shin despite having nearly twice as much Godzilla as G14.
They probably don't count the earlier forms. The fourth form and LPG have about the same amount, if I remember correctly.
Which is stupid cause they're all the same creature. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Zarm wrote:Again, a consequence of CGI... but to me, the bigger question is, why are people suddenly measuring Godzilla films by the screen-time for Godzilla? Surely that's nothing more than a technical stat; the real question is, does the usage of Godzilla serve the story and get into a compelling narrative? For me, the answer on both films is 'yes'; more screentime wouldn't have enhanced the story the directors were trying to tell, and the amount we got didn't detract from a story that was designed to build in a very specific way.
Godzilla (2014) started it. Many were left unsatisfied with Godzilla's role in the Legendary film and its apologists insisted that it was nothing out of the ordinary. Upon inspection it has been discovered that Godzilla (2014) does indeed rank towards the bottom in screen time and percentage it allots Godzilla. People who say there isn't much Godzilla are right. Especially compared to the more recent films which are probably the films most fans are more familiar with. But I would argue the lackluster story and non-engaging characters are the more crippling issues. When large swaths of time is spent on non-characters going through the motions you're more likely to check your watch and wonder when the title character is going to show up. I think people understand the story the director was trying to tell. Detractors just don't think it was told very well. However, to answer your question, more screen time doesn't necessarily make a better movie. For that I remind you that Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla exists.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I really don't care about the stats of kaiju. Height and weight are fine, but like anything else I could care less.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I really don't care about the stats of kaiju.
You heathen. :shock: How could you?

^Sarcasm
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

There are many Godzilla films I’ve never seen the American dub of. Many of them I only saw after they became available through DVD and packaging both versions became standard, and I’ve just never bothered to watch the dub.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:There are many Godzilla films I’ve never seen the American dub of. Many of them I only saw after they became available through DVD and packaging both versions became standard, and I’ve just never bothered to watch the dub.
Never mind the fact that only a handful of films after the 60s were dubbed in America.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:There are many Godzilla films I’ve never seen the American dub of. Many of them I only saw after they became available through DVD and packaging both versions became standard, and I’ve just never bothered to watch the dub.
Never mind the fact that only a handful of films after the 60s were dubbed in America.
You know what he meant.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I really don't care about the stats of kaiju. Height and weight are fine, but like anything else I could care less.
For me, I only seek and use stats for fantasy matches.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I've never really viewed Gamera as a competitor to Godzilla. I mean, has he really ever been? I'm talking about in terms of the films and franchises.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Gamera is one of several attempts by rival studios to cash in on the Godzilla craze. Gamera is simply the most successful. I don't see him much different from how I view most of Toho's own non Godzilla kaiju productions.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I haven't finished most of the post-54 Showa films. I just can't stand most of them.
I really love some of them, like Godzilla vs. Hedorah and King Kong vs. Godzilla; but I have never finished Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Megalon...

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Gamera is one of several attempts by rival studios to cash in on the Godzilla craze. Gamera is simply the most successful. I don't see him much different from how I view most of Toho's own non Godzilla kaiju productions.
Ow, that one hurts. But yeah, you're right, Gamera was a cash in on Godzilla.
I still love Gamera and the Heisei Trilogy is above most of the G films in my list, tho.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Considering the cool design he has, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Bagan finally make his movie debut.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun May 20, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.