Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Ivo-goji »

I mean, I'll watch anything with Godzilla in it even if everyone on Earth says it's bad, if only to form my own opinion about it.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

eabaker wrote:
H-Man wrote:Rebirth of Mothra I is my favorite Mothra film to not feature Godzilla.
While I wouldn't even put it in the same league as the original Mothra, it's pretty easy to make a case that the first ROM is the strongest of the Heisei trilogy.
I first saw the original back in '91 when I was a kid, but could never get over the pacing of the film. I watched it only two more times or so over the next 10 years. I've since warmed up to it and consider a genuinely good movie, though. But I still like ROM 1 more, even though that film has its flaws, too. ROM 3 should've been the best, but a lackluster score, a final battle that's maddeningly short, and a few dodgy special FX just kind of sink it.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'm a godzilla thot, I'll take anything with Godzilla and enjoy it. Very rarely is there a Godzilla related material that I dislike and even then I'll just go to the Godzilla bits

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzillian wrote:I'm a godzilla thot, I'll take anything with Godzilla and enjoy it. Very rarely is there a Godzilla related material that I dislike and even then I'll just go to the Godzilla bits
Well, I am a GT as well. Me and you must be the true fans ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The fuck is a "thot"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

eabaker wrote:The fuck is a "thot"?
A whore. Or in nicer terms, a very sexually active woman.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:The skreeonk is a "thot"?
A promiscuous person? She or Godzilla....not quite sure really.

Ninja'd....but yeah, what an odd thing to say :lol:
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I, too, would consider myself a Godzilla thot.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Is this a legit "What's the lingo you youngsters use these days on the internets?" moment?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Zarm wrote:
Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Is this a legit "What's the lingo you youngsters use these days on the internets?" moment?
It's an acronym for "that hoe over there" favored by the ironic gangster community. It is almost exclusively used in ironic contexts.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

There is an 'ironic gangster community'?

Yep, definitely one of those 'what are the young people doing these days?' moments. I've become ancient. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Zarm wrote:
It's an acronym for "that hoe over there" favored by the ironic gangster community. It is almost exclusively used in ironic contexts.
Then you must have never met or been friends with hood folk or been to a college campus recently.
Last edited by Godzillian on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

This is the whitest, most out of touch conversation I've seen in a long time :lol:
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Oh I'll give anything with the Godzilla name a try. There's only a tiny handful of Godzilla films I vehemently do not like. Even universally derided films like Megalon and Gino I still derive solid enjoyment out of. The only truly great sin a Godzilla movie can make is to be completely and utterly boring.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
eabaker wrote:The fuck is a "thot"?
A whore. Or in nicer terms, a very sexually active woman.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I'm kinda disappointed by Toho's decision to replace their Heisei Godzilla statue with a Shingoji one. Partly because it's symbolic enough to not need replacing, and partly because (as much as I like 'Shin Godzilla') I consider it a better design overall.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hm. I'm not a huge fan of the '94 Godzilla design, but if it comes down to a contest between it and Shin as the generic face of the franchise... well, come on, that's not even a question. Shin was fine as a one-off, but way too unconventional to be the standard, go-to Godzilla for things like official statues.

Of course, time was I'd have said the same thing about the Purple-Spiked Usurper (as I liked to call G2K at the time) who also dethroned Heisei Godzilla as the standard for advertising and whatnot for a few years, there. Now he looks positively conservative compared to Shin, with all his awkward proportions and flopping early forms and back lasers and babies coming out of his tail...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shin is Toho's most profitable, socially conscious, and critically praised Godzilla film in decades. It's not at all a hard decision to make. Besides it not like the previous statue is gone. It's just been moved to the nearby Toho Cinema. Besides if I were to use a statue to reflect the franchise as a whole I would go with the original 54 design myself.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I suppose I can't fault that logic. Shin's beauty lies a little deeper than his skin. He's a good face for the modern franchise in that he represents a Toho that is willing to put thought and quality into their work again, along with taking risks and moving the character in bold new directions. In contrast, Mogegoji represents a time when Toho was content to churn out bland repetition with minimal concern for quality, lazily doing whatever was likely to make a quick buck. Fine. All hail our twisted new freak of an overlord.

But muh tradition, dang it...
Last edited by JAGzilla on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I'm also bothered by the replacement. I do think there's a lot to be said for legacy and tradition and not so easily leaping onto the bandwagon of the next flash-in-the-pan. Still, we are in a culture that does exactly that. (Of course, a large part of that is marketing).

Personally, I'd like to see new property stand the test of time for at least five years and two subsequent films in their own series before being hailed as the new face of the franchise. I think that's a reasonable standard. But studios are always going to emphasize the thing they're putting out currently, to try and get it out there and get people to buy it and make more money. With any luck, the fans will take a broader view and not jump on that bandwagon and forget the enduring classics in the face of the honeymooning rush of a brand new experience that may well tarnish with time just as much as some of the previous popular entries have.

I can chalk this up to marketing, but I still think it's a pretty sucky thing to do- especially when we don't even know if this film is going to be a one-off yet. It is way too soon to be making this the new face of the franchise. I get they want to capitalize off of finally having something that's a financial and critical success, but it is kind of a sell-out move extending it to the statue as a publicity stunt.

Maranatha!