Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2071
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Shrek's swamp

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:47 am

I'm kinda with LSD and G200 on the American 94 design by Godzilla is overrated. I don't HATE it but just....that face looks so stupid. He looks like a duck. I prefer the design we got honestly (though i wish Gryphon stayed)

User avatar
DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 865
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 am
Location: Nebula M78

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby DirektorSplennic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:44 pm

A tad off topic, but just wanted to tell ya'll our first date went very well. We both had a blast.

Also, Stan Winston Godzilla isn't the best, but would've been a much better introduction to the character to American audiences, at least in the looks department.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9352
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:46 pm

The only Godzilla films I've only seen once are Megaguirus, the Kiryu duology, G14, and KotM. KotM is the only one of those I intend to watch a second time as I got a feeling it might grow on me like KSI did. I've seen every other Godzilla film at least twice (though maybe not in their entirety). Unless you wanna count the original versions of Gojira and The Return of Godzilla. Only watched those once and I think I fell asleep on both. I only haven't bothered with the anime trilogy. It just doesn't really sound like my thing
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
HedorahIsBestGirl
Yojimbo
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:34 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The only Godzilla films I've only seen once are Megaguirus, the Kiryu duology, G14, and KotM. KotM is the only one of those I intend to watch a second time as I got a feeling it might grow on me like KSI did. I've seen every other Godzilla film at least twice (though maybe not in their entirety). Unless you wanna count the original versions of Gojira and The Return of Godzilla. Only watched those once and I think I fell asleep on both. I only haven't bothered with the anime trilogy. It just doesn't really sound like my thing


Wise call on the anime trilogy. I watched it once, never gonna watch it again. Boring garbage, will definitely put you to sleep.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5252
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:59 am

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The only Godzilla films I've only seen once are Megaguirus, the Kiryu duology, G14, and KotM. KotM is the only one of those I intend to watch a second time as I got a feeling it might grow on me like KSI did. I've seen every other Godzilla film at least twice (though maybe not in their entirety). Unless you wanna count the original versions of Gojira and The Return of Godzilla. Only watched those once and I think I fell asleep on both. I only haven't bothered with the anime trilogy. It just doesn't really sound like my thing


Wise call on the anime trilogy. I watched it once, never gonna watch it again. Boring garbage, will definitely put you to sleep.

Never fell asleep watching a film before, since I consider myself a "Film Guy", but within 25 minutes of the Mechagodzilla City one I was out cold for 2 hours. Woke up during the credits.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9352
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:07 pm

In fairness to Gojira and Return of Godzilla it was fairly late and I was pretty tired to begin with.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6328
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:36 pm

I’ve probably seen each godzilla film, with the exception of anything G14 and after, at least twenty times each...
Ive seen Shin and G14 six times, I think, and KOTM 3 times. Anime trilogy I’ve seen once, but in a few weeks I intend to rewatch the whole thing.

Anyways, now for my confession:
I’m pretty much really knowledgeable about all of the Toho Godzilla films. But then, I started seeing stuff about “new titans” from X as part of the monster verse, at least from the novelizations, or concept art...and I just don’t care that I don’t know all of them. I keep getting these YouTube videos recommended to me like,”The four undersea Titans” or something and I have no idea what it’s about and nor do I care. There’s also some bat monster?
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Right with ya, LSD.

I think the thing is the classic Toho monsters have personalities or powers and stuff.

These new Titans are just cool designs but besides that, literally nothing else for us to attach them to us. That's why I'm personally lukewarm

Also, yeah, there's some bat titan that's the villain of the GVK prequel graphic novel.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5252
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:24 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I think the thing is the classic Toho monsters have personalities or powers and stuff.

These new Titans are just cool designs but besides that, literally nothing else for us to attach them to us. That's why I'm personally lukewarm

Also, yeah, there's some bat titan that's the villain of the GVK prequel graphic novel.

To be fair quite a few kaiju in the past were mainly just cool designs, "Powers and stuff" would be the likely reason that they seem to give off much more character, more screentime as well. Like we all know Gigan is the cold blooded hot headed no-nonsense type, Ghidorah is the arrogant cocky destroyer of worlds type, etc. We haven't had enough input from the new monsters to form those kinda opinions yet.

Scylla, Behemoth and the NuMuto (MUTOs in general had character) all look to be pretty interesting characters, with some sick abilities only shown through flashcuts. But i think overall they're just as honorary as the rest of the Kaiju team. Just wish they'd show more of em, which i'm hoping GVK will deliver.

Oh and yeah the Bat titan is "Camazotz", apparently he wants to plunge the Earth into permanent darkness, (major Battra vibes)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:18 am

Battra didn't want anything like that, though. He was never really evil, but just trying to keep humanity from plunging the Earth into permanent smog.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6328
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:31 am

JAGzilla wrote:Battra didn't want anything like that, though. He was never really evil, but just trying to keep humanity from plunging the Earth into permanent smog.

#Battradidnothingwrong

Going back to what Soggy was talking about, I just feel that this is a case of whoever is in charge of the Monsterverse thinking “more monster=better”. A lot of it feels like,”let’s make a bunch of monsters for marketing purposes” or so in the future we can sell merch, if anything ever comes of it. The bat monster is OK, because it’ll have a major role in the upcoming graphic move or whatever, but there’s countless monsters that just have a very minor role, or literally just name drops, and I really could not care any less.

This comes from a person that has pretty much seen every Godzilla film dozens of times and likes researching all the other obscure monsters. However, I just can’t find myself caring, or worrying about the countless new creatures the monsters bring about.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:33 am

I don't care much about anything off-screen either, but I'd say it's too early to judge the Monsterverse's side monsters as a whole. K:SI did a good job of making its monsters feel like their own weird Skull Island ecosystem, and I was and am fully on board with it. KOTM was clearly partially a bridge movie setting up this Titan-dominated world that we'll hopefully see good use made of in GvK. It didn't dwell on the new monsters, no, but that was because it was centered around the Big Four, as it should've been. GvK, with only two big name monsters starring instead of four, should have more time to develop some of the new guys.

User avatar
DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 865
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 am
Location: Nebula M78

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby DirektorSplennic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:30 pm

JAGzilla wrote:I don't care much about anything off-screen either, but I'd say it's too early to judge the Monsterverse's side monsters as a whole. K:SI did a good job of making its monsters feel like their own weird Skull Island ecosystem, and I was and am fully on board with it. KOTM was clearly partially a bridge movie setting up this Titan-dominated world that we'll hopefully see good use made of in GvK. It didn't dwell on the new monsters, no, but that was because it was centered around the Big Four, as it should've been. GvK, with only two big name monsters starring instead of four, should have more time to develop some of the new guys.

That is if any of the newbies from KOTM ever return. I think there's a chance they won't (I hope I'm wrong)
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10170
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:46 pm

JAGzilla wrote:Battra didn't want anything like that, though. He was never really evil, but just trying to keep humanity from plunging the Earth into permanent smog.


I think that's something a lot of people misunderstand about Battra, he's not evil cause he wants to destroy the world, he's evil for wanting to protect it at all cost even committing acts of evil to do so, necessary evil if you will. Rather than wait for civilizations past or present to mature and take better care of their world, like Mothra teaches, he flat out destroys them and takes it too far, to the point he is willing to kill Mothra for interfering in his rampage as she tries to stop him because she recognizes civilizations as part of the Earth, just lifeforms who have lost their way.

It honestly makes Battra a fascinating character to me, as instead of just being a generic clone of Mothra but evil or a big dumb animal, he has the same goal as her but goes about it in a different way. Two characters with the same goals but disagreements on each others means of reaching said goal. And I like that his goal is something huge, a bigger picture type deal you normally don't associate with monsters but with a human character.
Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6328
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Battra didn't want anything like that, though. He was never really evil, but just trying to keep humanity from plunging the Earth into permanent smog.


I think that's something a lot of people misunderstand about Battra, he's not evil cause he wants to destroy the world, he's evil for wanting to protect it at all cost even committing acts of evil to do so, necessary evil if you will. Rather than wait for civilizations past or present to mature and take better care of their world, like Mothra teaches, he flat out destroys them and takes it too far, to the point he is willing to kill Mothra for interfering in his rampage as she tries to stop him because she recognizes civilizations as part of the Earth, just lifeforms who have lost their way.

It honestly makes Battra a fascinating character to me, as instead of just being a generic clone of Mothra but evil or a big dumb animal, he has the same goal as her but goes about it in a different way. Two characters with the same goals but disagreements on each others means of reaching said goal. And I like that his goal is something huge, a bigger picture type deal you normally don't associate with monsters but with a human character.

Part of the confusion is how little significance this factor has on the plot, and how it's only in a couple of lines of dialogue.

Actually, it's sort of funny, because Battra is essentially as Mothra was in the 1961 film.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5252
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:33 pm

I think I'd like a return to that 61 mentality, makes her more monstrous from a human perspective and more godly due to her Greater-Good morals.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2044
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Terasawa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:45 pm

I don't think the '61 Mothra is like at all Battra.

Mothra only rampages when the Infant Islanders call on her to rescue the Shobijin. They even tell Bulldog, Chujo, et al. that she isn't aware of the destruction she'd cause in her pursuit. The reason she attacks as long as she does is because Nelson had the box that blocked the Shobijin's telepathic communications to Mothra.

The 1992 Mothra's actions are basically the same. Battra though? No.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6328
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:07 pm

Terasawa wrote:I don't think the '61 Mothra is like at all Battra.

Mothra only rampages when the Infant Islanders call on her to rescue the Shobijin. They even tell Bulldog, Chujo, et al. that she isn't aware of the destruction she'd cause in her pursuit. The reason she attacks as long as she does is because Nelson had the box that blocked the Shobijin's telepathic communications to Mothra.

The 1992 Mothra's actions are basically the same. Battra though? No.

Fair enough. I meant more along the lines where Mothra in modern memory has become a defender of humanity, or at least a big good, rather then a completely neutral creature.

Part of this is to blame on my recent marathons of the ROM series.

At least in this case Battra has motivation rather then SpaceGodzilla or Destroyah randomly attacking for the hell of it.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 am

Yeah Battra feels like Legendary Godzilla if he ever turned on humanity completely. Plus there's no magical titan radiation to fix humanity's mess there either so Battra doesn't really have any reason to let it slide. He's much more of a real ecoterrorist than Emma ever was. As much as I like mustache twirling badguys like Ghidorah or Destoroyah, it is nice to see villains with motivation that aren't just an incarnation of Godzilla himself.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 am
Location: Vague SF Bay Area

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Fish Cakes » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:54 am

Big confession: I haven't seen any Godzilla movies in full besides KotM and Shin in over 4 years and have no interest in watching or rewatching them. I just think Godzilla is neat and was more into the Atari games and Kaiju designs than anything.

I only hate on Heisei because it upsets some people I dislike, I actually really love Biollante, SpaceGodzilla, and Destroyah's designs. I don't even really remember the Heisei movies tbh, I just parrot what a friend says.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests