"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by Legendary Minya »

I wanted to list some things that either puzzled me or I wished they would have further explored in the movies. Comment, add your own, whatever.

KING KONG VS. GODZILLA:

Why were the natives okay with shipping off their God? Were cigarettes and a cheap radio enough to get them to give up their protector? How were they convinced to help build a raft and move Kong, and how could even all of them together been strong enough to do it - let alone do it all before Kong woke up?

GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO:

Why no mention AT ALL of Mothra? Was she just too weak for the Planet X Aliens to care about as a larva? Would the twin fairies have seen through their ruse and ruined everything?

GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER:

How did the Red Bamboo figure out the fruit juice would keep Ebirah away?

More information about the Red Bamboo in general would have been nice - I don't remember them OR Ebirah being named in the English dub I grew up with - I wasn't aware of either name till I came across G-FAN in 1995.

Why did it take so long for the "benevolent" Mothra to get off her ass and save her Islanders?

Why did Godzilla object to Mothra's presence and attack her when they made peace in GHIDRAH? (My assumption was he befriended the LARVAL Mothra and may not have made the connection the adult form was the same creature - but that really conflicts with the intelligence Godzilla would show in other places. Or there's always the "The script was made for Kong and they didn't bother to change it" excuse.)

SON OF GODZILLA:

General curiosity over Reiko's ability to summon Minya. How did she know her "call" would work? Why DOES it work? Would an amplified version have worked on Godzilla and other monsters, and why did scientists never pursue this? (Maybe they DID - more on this in a sec)

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS:

Just how did they get all the monsters to Monster Island? Well, maybe they DID use an amplified Reiko vocalization to lure them. It would have been really cool to see how each monster was captured and transported, even if just in official manga form.

What exactly was the "fog" or the various traps that kept monsters from escaping? They mentioned the sonic barrier for Rodan but didn't really go into detail for the security measures for the land monsters.

It always stuck out to me that Earth's top scientists realize that there is at least one hostile alien race out there with monster mind control capabilities (Planet X) but they didn't bother to put any safeguards against invasion into Monster Island.

GODZILLA'S REVENGE:

Nothing. This movie is perfect.

GODZILLA VS. GIGAN:

Just would have loved to see more of Children's Land. What would the models of Earth's monsters have looked like? How would the Nebula aliens have destroyed Monster Island, and why would Japan/humanity have gone along with it when Godzilla and co. had saved their asses so many times?

GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA:

Yeah, it was a cool reveal, but what was the point of the "Fake Godzilla" skin? Humanity could have VERY EASILY verified that the real Godzilla was still on Monster Island at the time - though they didn't seem to bother to do this, which is head-scratchingly stupid. (Think back to Godzilla Vs Gigan when a character states "The control center on Monster Island reports Godzilla and Anguirus have broken out and escaped", so we know they monitor the monsters at this point)

Furthermore, as technologically advanced as the Black Hole Chimps of Doom are, why didn't they bother to color Fake Godzilla's breath weapon blue and make his roar sound like Godzilla? I always thought it would be cool if he initially had Godzilla's roar but the voice box was damaged during the oil refinery fight, and it degraded into the metallic hiss MechaG would use in the movie.

Perhaps one of the coolest unexplored concepts, the Black Hole Leader states something along the lines of "We'll be in big trouble if King Seesar wakes up other monsters." What other monsters? How would he do this? Etc.

Well, I was supposed to start work ten minutes ago, so that's enough for now.
Last edited by Legendary Minya on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by JAGzilla »

Legendary Minya wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:10 am
KING KONG VS. GODZILLA:

Why were the natives okay with shipping off their God? Were cigarettes and a cheap radio enough to get them to give up their protector? How were they convinced to help build a raft and move Kong, and how could even all of them together been strong enough to do it - let alone do it all before Kong woke up?

Why did it take so long for the "benevolent" Mothra to get off her ass and save her Islanders?

Why did Godzilla object to Mothra's presence and attack her when they made peace in GHIDRAH? (My assumption was he befriended the LARVAL Mothra and may not have made the connection the adult form was the same creature - but that really conflicts with the intelligence Godzilla would show in other places. Or there's always the "The script was made for Kong and they didn't bother to change it" excuse.)
Did the movie ever state that the islanders considered Kong a protector? Mostly they seemed terrified of him, and were probably glad to see him leave. I got nothing for the raft, though. That thing was quietly one of the silliest, most nonsensical elements of the Showa series.

Mothra wasn't exactly a precision instrument. Yeah, she could've gone barreling in and blown the Red Bamboo base off the map, but there were several ways that could've gone poorly for the islanders. Maybe she knew/assumed that a human rescue effort would eventually be made, and just figured it was safer to wait for that moment.

Prior to the '70s, Godzilla was mostly a big jerk. He saved/assisted Mothra in GTTHM because she made him look bad and there was a common enemy to be fought, but nothing in that movie ever said they'd become friends.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:57 am
Legendary Minya wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:10 am
KING KONG VS. GODZILLA:

Did the movie ever state that the islanders considered Kong a protector? Mostly they seemed terrified of him, and were probably glad to see him leave. I got nothing for the raft, though. That thing was quietly one of the silliest, most nonsensical elements of the Showa series.

Mothra wasn't exactly a precision instrument. Yeah, she could've gone barreling in and blown the Red Bamboo base off the map, but there were several ways that could've gone poorly for the islanders. Maybe she knew/assumed that a human rescue effort would eventually be made, and just figured it was safer to wait for that moment.

Prior to the '70s, Godzilla was mostly a big jerk. He saved/assisted Mothra in GTTHM because she made him look bad and there was a common enemy to be fought, but nothing in that movie ever said they'd become friends.
Well, Kong did save them from the octopus, but, yeah, I dunno what they actually considered him other than a God.

As for Mothra, I guess I'm more wondering why she was okay with them raiding the island and kidnapping the islanders. Seems she could sink their ships as they approach?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legendary Minya wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:02 am As for Mothra, I guess I'm more wondering why she was okay with them raiding the island and kidnapping the islanders. Seems she could sink their ships as they approach?
Yeah, that's a good question. For the most part, she seemed like she didn't act independently, but preferred to wait until the islanders and/or Shobijin actually asked for her help. Maybe that's all it was; no one asked for her help until the events of the movie.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

What the point of the deception was in Godzilla vs. Monster Zero. The aliens already knew where Godzilla & Rodan where and already had the means to capture and control them. Seems like a giant waste of time for what amounts to as a big SIKE in all honesty.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Here's some of mine:
TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA:
Where was King Caesar in Terror of Mechagodzilla? Does he only awaken in Okinawa and not give a crap about the world beyond his homeland?
DESTROY ALL MONSTERS:
How did the monsters get back to Mount Fuji in Destroy All Monsters? Did they all swim there or do they get teleported there via UFOs?
KING KONG VS GODZILLA:
Why did everyone assume Kong tackling Godzilla into the ocean would kill him? Did they seriously forget that Godzilla is semi-aquatic and would actually gain an upper hand in underwater combat?
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’ve personally wondered why MG2 didn’t act on Godzilla until Titano was getting his ass handed to him. It would’ve been much easier if MG2 had attacked straight away.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

AllosaurHell wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:12 pm Here's some of mine:
TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA:
Where was King Caesar in Terror of Mechagodzilla? Does he only awaken in Okinawa and not give a crap about the world beyond his homeland?
DESTROY ALL MONSTERS:
How did the monsters get back to Mount Fuji in Destroy All Monsters? Did they all swim there or do they get teleported there via UFOs?
KING KONG VS GODZILLA:
Why did everyone assume Kong tackling Godzilla into the ocean would kill him? Did they seriously forget that Godzilla is semi-aquatic and would actually gain an upper hand in underwater combat?
Yes, I assume that's exactly why KC didn't show up in Terror of MG. Or, more specifically, because the Azumi princess didn't wake him up this time. Still doesn't explain what Rodan, etc were up to!

I assume the humans controlled them in DAM and made them go home - or just used the same method they used to originally lure them there, whatever that was!

And I almost added the same question for KK v G, but that's one where I guess "it's just a movie" applies. My head-canon was always that Godzilla caught up to Kong and killed him at sea, since that particular Kong NEVER showed up again - the one in KKE is much smaller.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
VoyagerGoji wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:47 pm I’ve personally wondered why MG2 didn’t act on Godzilla until Titano was getting his ass handed to him. It would’ve been much easier if MG2 had attacked straight away.
TOMG isn't one of my favorites so I could be wrong, but, was Katsura controlling both MG and Titano? Maybe it was too much for her to control them both to their full power. Or maybe MG's programming was damaged during the 1974 fight. Either way good question
Last edited by Legendary Minya on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Invasion of the Astro Monster: How the heck do Godzilla and Rodan even breathe in space? I don't remember there ever being a reason stated to how.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Where was the military when Godzilla and Anguirus were fighting in Osaka? Did they just give up and go home after the two monsters left Osaka Bay?

We know that the Red Bamboo were developing nuclear weapons, but for who? Are they working for China, North Korea, or are they working alone and wanting to destroy their enemy nations all by themselves?

What happened to Bio-Major after the events of Godzilla vs Biollante? They are a terrorist organization planning on controlling the world's food supply through monopoly and were so desperate on getting the ANEB that they threatened to release Godzilla from Mount Mihara. Things go downhill and Godzilla gets released from the volcano. Surely after all the crap that Japan went through because of Godzilla being free again, Bio-Major would be seen as a global threat and would therefore be persecuted by authorities.

Do you think it's possible that at least one juvenile Destoroyah was still running rampant in Japan after Destoroyah's defeat and Godzilla's meltdown? Because I think so.

I still would like to know what Kamoebas was doing in 1987 in the Kiryu Saga.

What the hell happened to Hedorah in the Godzilla Earth universe? It just....disappeared after it lost control and laid waste in Beijing and Tianjin after it fought and killed Anguirus and Rodan. We never got an explanation.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:30 pm

We know that the Red Bamboo were developing nuclear weapons, but for who? Are they working for China, North Korea, or are they working alone and wanting to destroy their enemy nations all by themselves?
I always assumed given the name Red Bamboo they were Chinese, but yeah, definitely needed some more info on these guys!

as for your other questions...... I got nothin'.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:30 pm Where was the military when Godzilla and Anguirus were fighting in Osaka? Did they just give up and go home after the two monsters left Osaka Bay?
Well, their weapons had been proven ineffective by that point, so they may have just been hoping the monsters would kill each other off. That, and the battle was pretty severely destructive from what I remember, so it may have been impossible for tanks and other military equipment to get through what was left of the streets fast enough to keep up with the monsters. And air strikes would've just caused more collateral damage.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GODZILLA: FINAL WARS
Did Gordon actually believe he was capable of trapping Godzilla a second time once the Xiliens had been defeated, or was he trying merely to raise morale of the crew on this desperation plan? Gordon more than anyone should know the only reason they "beat" Godzilla the first time was a fluke earthquake that sent Godzilla to a pit leaving him vulnerable to be buried in the first place.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

How did Godzilla and Rodan breath in space? They were in stasis bubbles while being transported to Planet X, so it's possible their life functions were paused more or less, so they didn't need to breath. It's also possible the bubbles contained just enough Earth atmosphere to keep them alive for the short trip.

As to Captain Gordon, he has as much bravado as intelligence. He may have figured that Godzilla would continue to follow them to the arctic, and by use of an avalanche, rebury the kaiju. It's not an impossible plan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

godjacob wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32 am GODZILLA: FINAL WARS
Did Gordon actually believe he was capable of trapping Godzilla a second time once the Xiliens had been defeated, or was he trying merely to raise morale of the crew on this desperation plan? Gordon more than anyone should know the only reason they "beat" Godzilla the first time was a fluke earthquake that sent Godzilla to a pit leaving him vulnerable to be buried in the first place.
Huh, I never really thought of that. I think Douglas Gordan might have gone a little bit crazy after the Xilien's resumed their invasion and had the extreme confidence into thinking that the Gotengo and its crew can actually trap Godzilla again.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

godjacob wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32 am GODZILLA: FINAL WARS
Honestly, I don't think anyone involved with Final Wars even put that much thought into the film.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

My headcanon is that Umbrella/Tricell bought out BioMajor.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Big one here.

How the hell does Godzilla (and other monsters) stand up in waters that are extremely deep. Is everything really shallow? Can they just float in place? Do their legs extend down to the sea floor? Are they just constantly swimming in a strange upright position?
For Emperor and Empire!

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

VoyagerGoji wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:53 am Big one here.

How the hell does Godzilla (and other monsters) stand up in waters that are extremely deep. Is everything really shallow? Can they just float in place? Do their legs extend down to the sea floor? Are they just constantly swimming in a strange upright position?
I'm sure it's technically the latter.

Physics aren't my strong suit but maybe someone could make a case for them having some strange kind of buoyancy that lets them float....but yeah I always assumed it was some strange upright "duck" swimming for Godzilla....Anguirus can doggy paddle, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:53 am Big one here.

Gravity manipulation :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.