I need translation for the Japanese preview and Critique of the G-98

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Ryu
Samurai

I need translation for the Japanese preview and Critique of the G-98

Post by Ryu »

Hello there, someone's translation of the Godzilla 1998 preview, from the Japanese public and critics.
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23808666
He knew a Japanese language teacher, but due to her little character, he only did a brief translation.
She said that critics say that gojira will always be a classic, but that special effects were already outdated. And America was good.
But they criticized the quality of the story and character being idiots.
I would like to know the rest of the translation, what they say.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: I need translation for the Japanese preview and Critique of the G-98

Post by gottatalktothefake »

This is coming from someone who hates 98 with a passion.

Why do you care lol? People being from a certain country doesn't give them higher authority than others. Hell, Japanese critics actually fucking hated Gojira when it came out, and it wasn't until it was released internationally that it was called a masterpiece. You don't need the opinions of the mythical Japanese people to tell you what to think.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:46 pm You don't need the opinions of the mythical Japanese people to tell you what to think.
Sorry but this is a really dumb assumption. Did he imply that that was the reason for his interest in this video?

It likely has nothing to do with someone making his mind up for him. :roll: The video actually appears to be valuable because it provides a rare-ish look at the pre-release hype for this movie in Japan. In other words, it's potentially of interest because it could tell us what Japanese fans expected and hoped for, and what those who'd seen it in New York had to say about it. It offers other perspectives about the most controversial Godzilla movie from the time when the film was brand new.

I mean, shit, maybe he's just curious what's going on in the video.

All that said, Ryu, my knowledge of Japanese is far too rudimentary to provide a translation, sorry. But thanks for bringing this video to my attention!
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

First of all, I have to thank Terasawa for defending me. And yes I would like to know the opinion of Japanese people, both as a general public, critics and fans. As far as I know godzilla's puparality at the time, it was niche within niche. The general public, already saw the old films as a child thing already obsolete. And some were in ignorance. What is godzilla? And remember that this film in japan, was as successful as Godzilla Vs Mothra 1992. In ticket sales. So yes, I would like to know the reaction of the Japanese public in their homeland. To know the truth and not to spread beautiful lies. And very cruel the truth is.

gottatalktothefake the only thing to say, for the time being we live in the free world, unless we already live in the world in thinking differently, it gives the right to public firing, to be canceled.
Something that the current president of the USA and the extreme right, seems to want with the fake news ...
Read the George Orwell 1984 novel. Or film. And remember the big brother is seeing you.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.