If Godzilla fell on his back would he break his spines?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

If Godzilla fell on his back would he break his spines?

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Paleontologists agree that if Spinosaurus were to get in a prehistoric tussle with another dinosaur, most likely a Carcharodontosaurus and not a Tyrannosaurus since Carcharodontosaurus lived in the same place at the same time and Tyrannosaurus did not. But if such a Mesozoic altercation were to take place and then Spinosaurus rolled or fell onto it's back then it would most definitely break the bones in it's spinal sail.

So when watching Godzilla: King of The Monsters there is definitely a scene where Ghidorah drops Godzilla from a very high height and Godzilla lands on his back.

It always makes me think that his spines should be broken.

What is the reason that he did not?

I suppose it's down to a fantasy level of high endurance and/or regeneration.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: If Godzilla fell on his back would he break his spines?

Post by JAGzilla »

Yep, you answered your own question. Godzilla can withstand impossible levels of damage because he's a fictional character and that's what his stories call for.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I always picture Godzilla's spines bending whenever he's on his back.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Palaeontologists agree that fictional movie monsters should not be held to the same standards as actual living creatures.

I imagine Godzilla's spines as thin bone but mostly fleshy. Most films with the exception of the G2K incarnation have them bend and wobble.

Semi-related, it's rare, but a few sources indicate that Godzilla's spines might be one of the few weak points Godzilla has. In Shin Godzilla, the Orbital Penetrator Bomb does hurt Shin. In Godzilla aftershock, Godzilla's spines are broken, only to regrow. In one of the Japanese exclusive Godzilla comics it's shown as a weak point as well. The idea that Godzilla's spines are continually breaking and regrowing/shredding, work as a nice EXCUSE as to why they keep changing shape.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just look at Showa Goji, I wouldn’t be surprised if he spines were pure flesh. They wobble and shake around like it’s a party.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Showa Goji had flexible ones, so maybe they were cartilage.

Other versions, like G vs Megaguirus, seem to have hard spines. They probably would get damaged by a hard enough force, but I suppose film makers found it easier and cheaper just to not show it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Paleontologists agree that if Spinosaurus were to get in a prehistoric tussle with another dinosaur, most likely a Carcharodontosaurus and not a Tyrannosaurus since Carcharodontosaurus lived in the same place at the same time and Tyrannosaurus did not. But if such a Mesozoic altercation were to take place and then Spinosaurus rolled or fell onto it's back then it would most definitely break the bones in it's spinal sail.
Actually the sail was partially encased in tough flesh and more like a ridge (not quite a hump though). You'd never see the vertebrae with skin between them. So the only way the Spinosaurus could bust it's sail would be if it somehow was lifted up and thrown down straight on its back. Otherwise the sail would keep it from rolling over. The whole 'Spike busts its sail and back if it falls over' was invented by Monster's Resurrected, which made up a lot of "facts". No Spinosaurus sail has ever been found snapped like the way MR had it.