WORST iteration of Mothra

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Who do you hate the most?

Showa
No votes
Heisei
16%
RoM
2%
Leo
2%
GMK
16%
Millenium (SOS & GFW)
No votes
Anime
54%
MonsterVerse
10%

Total votes: 50

Voyager
Keizer

WORST iteration of Mothra

Post by Voyager »

I really don't hate any Mothra but if I had to choose, it would be Anime.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: WORST iteration of Mothra

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i can't find anything to complain about with Anime (since we never even see her in it) so i'm going with Heisei. Her overly cute design and laser beams just kinda ruins it for me.
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Lol i'm voting for airborne silhouette of a giant moth from the anime.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Sure, I don't like Heisei but at least, she physically appeared.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

It's almost unfair having the Anime version in here, given it was just a silhouette and didn't really do anything, but why does she have like a weird mantis head...

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

No one likes the Anime Trilogy Mothra

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I can't fairly vote for any of them.

- Showa is a fantastically executed classic, so there's not even a point in having her in this discussion.

- Heisei I haven't seen in action in over a decade, so even if I know her design isn't great, doesn't feel fair to pick her.

- ROM and her emotional sacrifice were among the best parts of the ROM Trilogy.

- Leo was OP, but I like that. He broke the Mothra Mold in dramatic, flashy fashion, and I wouldn't object to future incarnations taking notes from him. Mothra shouldn't always have to be a weak, sacrificial underdog.

- GMK... wasn't amazing, but I like the balance she struck between classic and original, and her death scene was a standout.

- SOS was just improved Showa, and Mothra has never looked better. I hardly remember GFW, but she's lumped in with SOS, so.

- Anime doesn't even count. It's not fair to vote against something that barely exists. Anyway, I like the whole subterranean bug people thing.

- Monsterverse doesn't have my favorite design, but she's a tough, competent scrapper who can legitimately hold her own, yet still got a nice (if blunt) sacrifice scene. Good balance. I like that she's a proper ally of Godzilla for a change, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GigaBowserG wrote:It's almost unfair having the Anime version in here, given it was just a silhouette and didn't really do anything, but why does she have like a weird mantis head...

I actually like what we can "see" of Anime Mothra's design but she should've appeared physically.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

A giant butterfly being a water god (An obvious carryover from GVBA) is about the dumbest thing ever, but I do sort of like the more wasp-like look of her in GMK.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:A giant butterfly being a water god (An obvious carryover from GVBA) is about the dumbest thing ever, but I do sort of like the more wasp-like look of her in GMK.
Actually, there was no water god in GVBA. Varan was wind, Baragon was fire, and Anguirus was ice.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Anime version by default.

But since that's an easy target, I'll give another answer. I'm going to say Kiryu Saga Mothra.

I liked the puppet they made for her in Tokyo SOS, but the character ultimately amounted to Mothra doing a "greatest hits" performance, reenacting all the same things she had done in previous films. This was true of Heisei Mothra as well, so seeing it all AGAIN in Tokyo SOS just made it more grating. And Heisei Mothra, at the very least, had the added backstory of being a life long rival with Battra.

As for other versions:

I think Showa will always be my favorite. Its just so classic, and she's never looked better than she did in the 1964 film against Godzilla. I would have liked the full grown form appear in more movies (mainly Destroy All Monsters). Its funny that of all the monsters, Mothra is the one that feels the least changed in every new version as there are always visual cues or moments that call back to her first two movies. It speaks to how classic the character is.

RoM Mothra and Mothra Leo really took the whole cycle of life thing with the character and rammed it up to the extreme. Even though it felt very Pokemon like at times, Leo's constant evolution throughout the three films was kind of fun to see. All the different designs and forms were pretty cool. I actually wanted a 4th film just so I could see Eternal Mothra/Armor Mothra one more time before another change.

Love the design for GMK. The sleek wasp like design was a different approach that felt cool and of the three monsters used, she worked the best as an ancient guardian and felt right at home in the role.

I count FW Mothra as different from the Kiryu saga one since its a different continuity. Same puppet, sure, but hey. It was cool to have Mothra in this movie to acknowledge how important she is to the Godzilla series and the genre, and this movie was one big party anyway. It was also cool that after all these years, the adult Mothra and Godzilla finally teamed up. Still, she didn't do much more than most of the other monsters in this thing as it felt like almost every monster was included just to have the highest monster cast count.

Much like the other monsters in KOTM, I love the MV version of Mothra. They made her practically angelic and it worked perfectly here. Her design was great too and she fit in perfectly with the likes of Godzilla and Ghidorah. Honestly, the only knock I have is that her ties to Godzilla opened up the doors for the shipping and fan art crowd to get weird, but hey.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Anime Mothra by FAR, at least we got to actually SEE the other incarnations lol.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Anime again feels unfair given that it didn't even really appear, but I guess it is the worst if we count it.

Really none of them pissed me off like Leo. He broke any established aspect of Mothra's lore to be OP to absurd degrees & a guy just because, it won almost EVERY single fight it ever had with an ass pull power up, the movies he starred in were a tedious trio of repetitive heavy handed moral virtues disguised as films and beyond the scene where it tries to save Mothra from death (Which is emotional, I will be fair) it offered nothing as a character.

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

Heisei Mothra. The work with the puppet is so lazy and lifeless.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Um, I guess Anime Mothra because she's a silhouette that appears for five seconds? One of my many gripes with the anime trilogy is that it teased Mothra hard in the second film and then that shit is all we got in the third film. What a letdown.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Yeah, I'm going with the Godzilla Earth trilogy. She could've been amazing given that it's animation, but we only saw her silhouette for a couple of seconds and that's it.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's Heisei for me. Mothra's story is a retread of old material, but is mainly due to the puppet. It looks like a plushy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know this isn't the Unpopular opinion thread, but I just want to say that I'm not a fan of giving Mothra a wasp-stinger. On a side note, it would've been more fair to have this thread be worst iteration of Mothra barring the Polygon version.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Anime, because you never fucking see her. She was nothing but a cocktease.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image