Least Favorite Godzilla Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your least favorite Godzilla movie?

Godzilla Raids Again
5%
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster)
2%
Son of Godzilla
No votes
All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge)
12%
Godzilla vs. Gigan
No votes
Godzilla vs. Megalon
5%
Godzilla vs. Mothra (Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth)
2%
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
6%
TriStar's Godzilla
26%
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
3%
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
5%
Godzilla: Final Wars
2%
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
5%
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle
14%
Godzilla: The Planet Eater
No votes
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
11%
A different film in the series (specify below)
6%

Total votes: 66

goji89
Sazer

Re: Least Favorite Godzilla Movie

Post by goji89 »

Hedorah. God that movie sucked soooo much. It was just a psychedelic movie with crap wanting to pass it as "Art" and adding kaiju in the mix. So Godzilla vs Hedorah is my top shitty and most stupidest Godzilla movie.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 pm Not a fan of Gigan though. Just find it... unenjoyable. The human story is fine but the monster scenes aren't really that good.
Understandable. There's a good bit of stock footage, poor Ghidorah suffered from the low budget, and from what I remember (it's been a few years) the fights were a bit on the sluggish, draggy side.

On the bright side, the destruction sequence was great, the battle did have memorable moments, and this was Godzilla and Anguirus' main team-up movie. I can see why you'd be underwhelmed by the overall film, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Re-watched KotM '19 last night, and re-affirmed its status as my least favorite. Once again, I found it to be an overwrought, choppy, ugly movie that tediously explicates its own themes but then, whenever push comes to shove, opts to recycle potent and significant imagery and concepts from previous movies for nothing but a superficial "wow!" factor.

Also, something that I didn't really put together until this morning in the shower... The emphasis on hierarchy never sat right with me, the focus on Godzilla as some literal "king." I realized the essence of my problem with that is that a core aspect of Godzilla's appeal to me is the way that he represents a destabilization of existing hierarchical power structures. I don't want to see society unmade purely so that we can have a fucking king.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Tokyo S.O.S.

It has good things. Wonderful effects and kaiju designs, a great score, some decent characters.

It's just the utter lack of potential that film has that kills it for me. It offers nothing new, nothing unique, nothing that we haven't seen before in the past 49 years of the franchise or the 18 years after. Literally the only "concept" it has are wasted. Kiryu's rights as an organism being investigated? Solved easily. Mothra declaring war on humanity? she never goes though with it. A fucking dead kaiju washing up to hint at another kaiju is the only new thing the film brings and the godamn TRAILER for Godzilla (2014) did that better.

Again, it's not objectively bad but it disappoints me so bad that it's easily my least favorite Godzilla film.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

eabaker wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:00 am Also, something that I didn't really put together until this morning in the shower... The emphasis on hierarchy never sat right with me, the focus on Godzilla as some literal "king." I realized the essence of my problem with that is that a core aspect of Godzilla's appeal to me is the way that he represents a destabilization of existing hierarchical power structures. I don't want to see society unmade purely so that we can have a fucking king.
Worst part about that for me was how the writers try justify it by making parallels to real world examples of these hierarchies that are just totally wrong.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:49 pm
eabaker wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:00 am Also, something that I didn't really put together until this morning in the shower... The emphasis on hierarchy never sat right with me, the focus on Godzilla as some literal "king." I realized the essence of my problem with that is that a core aspect of Godzilla's appeal to me is the way that he represents a destabilization of existing hierarchical power structures. I don't want to see society unmade purely so that we can have a skreeonking king.
Worst part about that for me was how the writers try justify it by making parallels to real world examples of these hierarchies that are just totally wrong.
Oh yeah, all the stuff relating to alphas is horribly wrong in retrospect.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I think G98 has remained my least favorite. It’s a low hanging fruit, but it remains true. There’s a certain smugness about the movie. As if it’s trying to be “above” the Toho films because now Godzilla is more realistic, and acts like a normal animal, and... yeah. There’s really not much to say on Tristar’s version that hasn’t been said already. And with the Monsterverse being the definitive American Godzilla series for the general audience, there’s no reason to go back to G98.

In terms of actual Godzilla movies for the sake of fairness, I remember Godzilla Vs. Mothra ‘92 just a huge slog. I didn’t really feel too bothered with Heisei’s combat in King Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla 2, but man. Mothra’s fight really just... drags. It’s just Godzilla firing beams into the air at random hoping he hits something. The human plot isn’t really much to write home about, so all we’re stuck with is just... well, beam wars. It’s been a while, so i may have to rewatch it for a proper assessment. But yeah.

There’s also Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus, but... eh. I can barely remember it so I don’t recall what I didn’t like much about it. The monster designs are cool at least.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

eabaker wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:00 am Re-watched KotM '19 last night, and re-affirmed its status as my least favorite. Once again, I found it to be an overwrought, choppy, ugly movie that tediously explicates its own themes but then, whenever push comes to shove, opts to recycle potent and significant imagery and concepts from previous movies for nothing but a superficial "wow!" factor.
Yeah, things that once held great significance (like the oxygen destroyer) are reduced to generic, meaningless fanservice. It's such a dumb movie.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

I may dislike Godzilla VS Hedorah for being more of a drug hallucination than a film, Godzilla VS Spacegodzilla for having a lame new monster and boring action, and Godzilla VS Gigan for coming across as so crude and rushed, but nothing compares to the absolute snore-fest that is Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle. COTEOB is quite possibly the most boring film I have ever watched; there is no worthwhile drama, interesting plot, or even monster action to make it even the slightest bit interesting. At least GVH and GVG had interesting new monsters, and GVSG reintroduced MOGUERA; COTEOB has absolutely nothing to keep me watching it.