Mothra/Fairies: Pure Hearted Heroes, or Menaces to Humanity?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Ultragodzillafan
Samurai

Re: Mothra/Fairies: Pure Hearted Heroes, or Menaces to Humanity?

Post by Ultragodzillafan »

Ok, here’s what I could gather from the Shōwa timeline Mothra and Shobijin.
During the events of the original film, the fairies call to Mothra, knowing full well it’ll cause a lot of destruction and death. Yes, they appear somewhat remorseful for doing so, but they don’t make much of an attempt to deter Mothra, or guide him in a way that caused less damage to the innocent. Mothra, as the movie said, doesn’t know right from wrong, and simple goes through human civilization, not quite aware of his actions. Fast forward three years, a Mothra egg washes up on shore, and is claimed by a business company. The fairies and Mothra, seeking to prevent damage when the egg hatches, attempts to negotiate, but are ignored after a single attempt and then seemingly give up, demonstrating how little fate they have in humanity. Yes, Mothra and it’s offspring do drive Godzilla away when he rampages, but the lack of effort in retrieving the egg seems negligent. In Ghidorah, we learn that one of the Mothra Larvae twins had perished due to sickness. It’s not quite known what kind of sickness, or what measures to take to treat it. For the most part, Mothra functions as a defender, viewing Ghidorah as a greater threat. Cut to Ebirah, we see that multiple natives of Infant Island have been kidnapped by the Red Bamboo and used as slave labor. Yes they were saved by Mothra at the end of the film, but the fact that this happened under Mothra’s watch is disconcerting. Later in the far future, we see Mothra is on Monster Island, with no sign of the fairies. The circumstances behind how this happened is unknown, but it implies that humanity viewed Mothra as enough of a threat to contain on Monster Island. Most of Mothra’s actions in this film, good and bad, were influenced by mind control, so I won’t count them. Taking all that into consideration, I say Mothra and the fairies are guilty of reckless endangerment and negligence over the Infant Island natives and the Mothra offspring. I could go into conspiracy theory territory, but I don’t want to seem to bias. Looking at all this, what do you say: innocent or guilty?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultragodzillafan wrote:-snip
Honestly this isn’t even worth a response but I’m pretty much stuck indoors due to Covid and bored so fuck it. It’s clear that you set forth with this idea and want to prove it first, rather than actually watch the films and see what is portrayed. And you pretty much leave out a lot of the good things that Mothra and the Shoujibin do. But let’s quickly poke holes in all of this:

-1961: You ignore that the Shojibin, prior to their reveal, save Japanese sailors shipwrecked during a typhoon, which is how Infant Island is discovered to begin with. You also ignore that the Shojibin save Chujo from the carnivorous plant. You ignore the fact that Nelson shot a bunch of the island natives, and that the island was irradiated by nuclear testing done by modern societies. *** You also ignore that the Shojibin repeatedly warn of what might happen, and that it’s also the island natives who summon Mothra.

Mothra’s path in the film is also really direct, and though a lot of destruction is caused, Mothra isn’t actually directly rampaging. Mothra leaves the island, is attacked by ships, breaks through the dam, and enters Tokyo. It’s important to note that Mothra consistently goes for a straight line, and actually does not deter at all. The instant the Shojibin leave Japan, Mothra takes flight and goes directly to Roscila. Mothra doesn’t pointlessly Attack or rampage. The instant the fairies are returned, Mothra leaves peacefully. Of your own admission, Mothra is not acting out of malevolence but instinct.

1964:
a Mothra egg washes up on shore, and is claimed by a business company. The fairies and Mothra, seeking to prevent damage when the egg hatches, attempts to negotiate, but are ignored after a single attempt and then seemingly give up, demonstrating how little fate they have in humanity. Yes, Mothra and it’s offspring do drive Godzilla away when he rampages, but the lack of effort in retrieving the egg seems negligent
-Again, you’re understating how much the fairies warn humanity. The other thing that you conveniently leave out is Godzilla’s role in the story. Godzilla quickly becomes the main threat, and completely douses the possible threat the larva might be when it hatches. You also fail to bring up how irradiated Infant Island is, and despite the initial rejection, Mothra sacrifices herself and fights Godzilla, and dies. Still, after, the larva hatch, and save a bunch of school children from being killed by Godzilla.****
In Ghidorah, we learn that one of the Mothra Larvae twins had perished due to sickness. It’s not quite known what kind of sickness, or what measures to take to treat it.
Im not sure where you get this idea that Mothra got sick and died, maybe some kind of dub? It’s heavily implied, and depending on the subs/interpretation of the dialogue, that one of the larva died due to wounds from Godzilla in the previous film. And even still, I have no idea why how Mothra died is relevant at all.

You also ignore the whole scene where the Shojibin are on a television show (of their own volition this time) showing a child, and japan Infant Island. You also ignore the fact that Mothra’s fairies play the role of prophet with the Venusian, and warn people about the impending disasters with the other monsters that are about to occur. ****Mothra stands up to Godzilla and Rodan, and then Ghidorah, selflessly. This is easily the most selfless Mothra has ever been. Same for the Shojibin.
Cut to Ebirah, we see that multiple natives of Infant Island have been kidnapped by the Red Bamboo and used as slave labor. Yes they were saved by Mothra at the end of the film, but the fact that this happened under Mothra’s watch is disconcerting.
Again this is bullshit. You’re taking something that wasn’t explicitly shown, and twisting it. The Red Bamboo are a naval fleet, they could have easily just stolen or attacked fishing boats. Mothra does not know where the natives are. It’s only after contact is made that Mothra swoops in and rescues them.

In regards to DAM, while I agree it’s strange Mothra suddenly is missing the Shojibin, it doesn’t really mean much. And the island isn’t there to solely protect humanity, it’s also acting as a large nature preserve letting the monsters live in peace, and they’re provided with the things they need to survive.

****I kept putting these marks, because it’s things like these that make me feel you haven’t seen the films (at least recently), and you’re just basing this all off plot summaries you read off of Wikipedia. You ignore all the small and vital scenes.
I could go into conspiracy theory territory, but I don’t want to seem to bias. Looking at all this, what do you say: innocent or guilty?
[/quote]
Lol.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

This whole fourm needs to be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
How'd I just fucking see this? I'm dead :lol:
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Ultragodzillafan
Samurai

Alright, now we look at the Hesei timeline’s Mothra. Starting off in 1992, we see Mothra’s egg unearthed by a typhoon caused by an meteorite, and discovered by an environmental expedition a month later. The Cosmos is explain their history, that the earth used to be inhabited by their species until their scientists created a climate control device. Feeling threatened, with the Earth created Battra to destroy the Cosmos, and Mothra fought him, eventually sealing him away, but not before the climate control device was destroyed and the earth was flooded, wiping out most of the Cosmos. The Cosmos are then convinced to let the expedition take the Mothra egg to Japan, deciding to tag along as well in an act of trust. However, they’re interrupted by Godzilla, and the expedition is forced to abandon the egg to survive. Upon hatching, Mothra acts defensively, only attacking because Godzilla made the first move. After Battra shows up and attacks Godzilla, Mothra escapes, while the Cosmos head to Japan. There, they are kidnapped by the Marutomou(forgive me if I spelt it wrong) company to be used for advertising, where they sing to Mothra for help, like in the original Mothra film. However, unlike the og film, the Cosmos don’t seem to express regret while calling to Mothra. They usually have a face of indifference, and I swear I occasionally see a smile on their faces too. It always rubbed me the wrong way. As Mothra makes it’s way to Tokyo, they are kidnapped again by one of the expedition members(I can rarely remember the human character’s names in Godzilla films) who is confronted by his ex wife and daughter as Mothra tears through the city, possible killing a hundred or so civilians. The Ex convinces the kidnapper to return the Cosmos, who once they realize are out of danger, call off Mothra, who cocoons itself after being attacked by the JSDF. Upon emerging from said cocoon, Mothra goes to engage Battra, and is defeated. Then Godzilla appears and injures Battra, and Mothra saves him (using their antenna rays that weren’t used against Battra, because reasons) and heals Battra. Then the two double team and subdue Godzilla, carrying him off to sea where Battra gets his throat torn out and bleeds to death. Mothra then goes to space with the Cosmos to stop a meteorite that was gonna wipe out all life ok the planet at the end of the century, which Battra intended to stop originally. Through out the movie, the only times the Cosmos seemed to express concern whenever Mothra was injured, but remained indifferent twoards humans. Their reappearance in Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla, seems to contradict that. They appear before Miki(one of the few humans I do remember) and warn her of SpaceGodzilla’s arrival, and a second time to encourage her to keep fighting. It is my belief that the. Cosmos seem only interested in the well being of Earth and Mothra, but went to Earth to warn humanity upon Mothra’s request. While Mothra does cause a lot of damage and presumable deaths, it seems like it possibly regrets those actions, but knew it was unavoidable due to it’s size. So, after careful consideration, I still say Mothra is guilty of reckless endangerment and potentially manslaughter, but not to the degree of its Shōwa counterpart. As for the Cosmos, guilty of a lack of forsight, reckless endangerment, and seemingly lack of empathy. In conclusion, Hesei Mothra is as much an Anti Hero as Shōwa Godzilla.
What do you guys say?
On a side note, I noticed two things about this movie. 1, Hesei Mothra’s roar is a remixed version of Angirus’ roar. 2, The dubbed version has a-lot more swearing than it’s original counterpart...

Added in 1 day 8 hours 54 minutes 7 seconds:
So, no one has anything to add?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I do, this is fucking stupid.

You are talking about mystical faries and their giant moth god who shoots lasers out of her antenna and sealed a RADIOACTIVE DINOSAUR WHO BREATHES FIREINTO THE OCEAN AND SEALED HIM THERE FOR A YEAR WITH MAGIC and are judging them by mortal standards of morality and law.

Would you fucking do this shit for other myths and fiction? Did Spider-Man cause "RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT" by stopping Green Goblin? Does Zeus have a "lack of empathy" for not helping his human sons fight monsters?

Fuck this entire topic.

RIP Evan.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I do, this is fucking stupid.

You are talking about mystical faries and their giant moth god who shoots lasers out of her antenna and sealed a RADIOACTIVE DINOSAUR WHO BREATHES FIREINTO THE OCEAN AND SEALED HIM THERE FOR A YEAR WITH MAGIC and are judging them by mortal standards of morality and law.

Would you fucking do this shit for other myths and fiction? Did Spider-Man cause "RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT" by stopping Green Goblin? Does Zeus have a "lack of empathy" for not helping his human sons fight monsters?

Fuck this entire topic.
Thank you for making my night, Soggy. I laughed for at least two full minutes while and after reading this. I needed this today, man.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I do, this is skreeonking stupid.

Would you skreeonking do this poop for other myths and fiction? Did Spider-Man cause "RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT" by stopping Green Goblin? Does Zeus have a "lack of empathy" for not helping his human sons fight monsters?

skreeonk this entire topic.
I laughed for 5 minutes straight thanks to this, legit made my day. Ironically the post with most common sense in this entire fucking thread :lol:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Does Zeus have a "lack of empathy" for not helping his human sons fight monsters?
Well he does have a habit of cheating on his wife and his sperm cells pretty much caused every problem in the mythology..but yeah this thread is stupid.
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

My feeling was that Mothra could either go Old or New Testament depending on the situation/her mood, and her worshippers/the Shobijin go along with it because, you know, she's their god and doesn't play be *our* rules. But I think it's been stated in the films that she causes most of her destruction by A) searching for food in her larval form and B) searching for her fairies when they are stolen.

Ultragodzillafan
Samurai

Yeah, discussing the moral code of a giant moth and whether or not it’s as heroic as the fandom thinks is kinda dumb, but this has been bugging me for a while now, and I figured I might as well discuss it here. Besides, we need something to keep busy. It’s a better option that rotting away in boredom.

On a side note, while most were willing to defend Shōwa Mothra, I haven’t seen anyone try to disprove my statement on Hesei. Does no one like that particular version?

Added in 1 day 1 hour 46 minutes 57 seconds:
On second thought, considering it’s Win/Loss ratio on the KWC, I don’t think anyone likes Hesei Mothra... anyhow, I’ll be back after binging Rebirth of Mothra to give a verdict on that version.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Ultragodzillafan wrote:
G2000 wrote:From my point of view the Shobijin are evil
Do you intend to back that claim up with supporting evidence?
I think he was making a Star Wars joke. :P

But in all seriousness, fairies are evil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hHomOJ ... =emb_title
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Down here in Mexico, fairies are seen in a pretty dark light, too. Superstitious people actually fear them.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Destorogoji wrote:Down here in Mexico, fairies are seen in a pretty dark light, too. Superstitious people actually fear them.
Well, fairies are evil. They're demons that take the form of fairies, Arcturians during meditation, ghosts of dead relatives, etc in order to stray people from the path of God. Their goal is to mislead and confuse. Gotta hand it to Mexico and their Catholic influence for being able to spot demons when they see it.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I do, this is fucking stupid.

Fuck this entire topic.
We're talking about the same fanbase that for decades was fine with Mothra being a literal god, then all of sudden when G2014 introduced "realism" people would go "REEEEEEEE!" if I so much as even hinted or said she was a god/spirit/magical and then back to defending her being magical when a critic of KOTM asked "when the fuck was Mothra ever magical" and they're like "since forever."

To quote gottotalktothefake, "this fanbase is stupid."

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Living Corpse wrote:
We're talking about the same fanbase that for decades was fine with Mothra being a literal god
I dunno, i feel like that's just a title the Infant Islanders give her. Pretty sure actual gods don't get killed on a monthly basis like she does.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
We're talking about the same fanbase that for decades was fine with Mothra being a literal god
I dunno, i feel like that's just a title the Infant Islanders give her. Pretty sure actual gods don't get killed on a monthly basis like she does.
Pretty sure actual gods can be as powerful or as weak as fiction or mythology needs them to be.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

All right which one of you kids left the radio on? I'm hearing static.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Pretty sure always giving birth to an identical child just before you die that lives for you and continues it for millenia is definitely mystical.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Okay okay i got it, she has the power to rebirth herself whenever she wants and that's what makes her a goddess, you guys can stop bugging me about it.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

tyrantgoji wrote:you guys can stop bugging me about it.
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST