Hanna Barbera Godzilla in Another Show?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Hanna Barbera Godzilla in Another Show?

Post by GojiDog »

Okay, so don't ask me how I got down this internet rabbit hole, but I was on the wikipedia page for an old Hanna Barbera show called "Yogi's Space Race". Basically it was a crappy Wacky Races knock off set in space (clearly to cash in on the Star Wars craze of the time period) and it starred characters like Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and (shudders) Jabberjaw along with a few new characters not worth metnioning. I remember watching one episode as a kid, hating it, and never watching it again.

BUT, on this wikipedia page, it talks about animated characters from the Hanna Barbera library that made guest appearances on the show, including Fred Flinstone and Barney Rubble. One name that caught my eye was GODZILLA. I looked the year the show was aired and it was 1978, the same year the first season of the HB Godzilla series aired. So would HB have been allowed to cross Godzilla over into another series? Possibly so.

The wiki page also states that Ted Cassidy (the provider of Godzilla's vocals for the HB show) is listed in the additional voices. However, given the nature of wikipedia being able to be edited at will, I am not going to assume any of it is true. I did a Google search onto different pages, including Godzilla related resources (including TK), and could not get any confirmation on him being in Space Race or not. Because I am too lazy to sit down and watch all 13 episodes of a crappy and forgotten show, can anybody please confirm for me if Godzilla appears in the show and which episode?

Here is a link to the wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi%27s_Space_Race
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

UltramanGoji

Re: Hanna Barbera Godzilla in Another Show?

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is the kind of thing that, if it were real, would be a running gag with the fandom and be parroted by clickbait news sites as a “wacky Godzilla fact YOU didn’t know!!!!”

So no, I don’t think it’s real. Just a really enthusiastic HB fan.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Well he did appear in a Scooby Doo comic to fight against Frankenstein Jr.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Well he did appear in a Scooby Doo comic to fight against Frankenstein Jr.

I'm surprised that Toho didn't find out about this and sue the pants off of them...unless this comic book came out before the 1990s, when they really started enforcing their copyrights.

And is it just me, or does anyone else realize that Godzilla could whip Frankenstein Jr.'s gluteal region in a minute...with or without at least two of his old enemies? (By the way, what TV show did the third monster come from?)
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

It was 2017 in Scooby-Doo Team Up #22.

https://www.comics.org/issue/1669852/

It was just one panel. I doubt Toho will go nuts over that and sue WB.

BTW Frankenstein Jr would destroy 100 Godzilla's in a fight. :P

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla's foot is at the end of the Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School, though it's obviously not the HB version of the character.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Terasawa wrote:Godzilla's foot is at the end of the Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School, though it's obviously not the HB version of the character.

I do remember that. I remember being ticked off that Godzilla's daughter wasn't one of the main group of monster girls and just got tacked on at the end, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I recall that cameo as well. I suspect the classic Universal monsters were just easier to use.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.