A list of all Toho films with some fictional connection to Godzilla...

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

A list of all Toho films with some fictional connection to Godzilla...

Post by johnboy3434 »

After some research, this appears to be the complete list of Toho films with fictional connections to the Godzilla franchise. These connections come only from the movies themselves.

These connections need not be strictly continuity based: for example, the Moguera from The Mysterians is a different incarnation of the character than the one that eventually showed up in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, but because it's the same fictional concept, the connection is made. Also, the list includes one non-Toho film, Kong: Skull Island, because it has a direct story connection to the Legendary Godzilla films.
  • Rodan (1956)
    The Mysterians (1957)
    Varan (1958)
    Battle in Outer Space (1959)
    Mothra (1961)
    Gorath (1962)
    Atragon (1963)
    Dogora (1964)
    Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965)
    The War of the Gargantuas (1966)
    King Kong Escapes (1967)
    Space Amoeba (1970)
    The War in Space (1977)
    Rebirth of Mothra (1996)
    Rebirth of Mothra II (1997)
    Rebirth of Mothra III (1998)
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)
To my knowledge, that's all of them.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: A list of all Toho films with some fictional connection to Godzilla...

Post by Spuro »

I think there's a similar thread to this already (although it's Showa exclusive).

https://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic ... e#p1559885
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think there's a similar thread to this already (although it's Showa exclusive).

Yeah, although that thread is mostly concerned with actual continuity between films and which ones should be excluded. I'm not about to jump into that tangled nightmare, and instead am simply listing the movies in the Godzilla films' "extended family". This list is more for marathon purposes than anything more intellectually rigorous.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

johnboy3434 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think there's a similar thread to this already (although it's Showa exclusive).

Yeah, although that thread is mostly considered with actual continuity between films and which ones should be excluded. I'm not about to jump into that tangled nightmare, and instead am simply listing the movies in the Godzilla films' "extended family". This list is more for marathon purposes than anything more intellectually rigorous.
Well, in that case, would Always Sunny on 3rd Street 2 (or whatever the title was) count?
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Well, in that case, would Always Sunny on 3rd Street 2 (or whatever the title was) count?
True, the Always Sunset on 3rd Street trilogy should technically be included, but I decided not to include them because the genre of the films is so disparate from the horror/sci-fi/fantasy offerings of the rest of the films, and also because Godzilla's minor role isn't even "real" in the context of the second film's story (same goes for Ready Player One, even though Toho licensed the Mechagodzilla character to the makers).

EDIT: Hell, I'll put all of those in the OP just to show that I'm not playing favorites.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

What about Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and One Crazy Summer?

(j/k :D)
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

GojiDog wrote:What about Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and One Crazy Summer?

I actually looked it up to see if Warner Bros. got the license for Godzilla and Ghidorah for the Pee-Wee cameo. Not only did they not get the license, but Toho sued them because of it.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

johnboy3434 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 am
GojiDog wrote:What about Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and One Crazy Summer?

I actually looked it up to see if Warner Bros. got the license for Godzilla and Ghidorah for the Pee-Wee cameo. Not only did they not get the license, but Toho sued them because of it.
I didn't know that. Very interesting, indeed.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've made a thread titled "My version of the Kiryu series". Please, take a look at it if you get the chance and tell me what you think of it.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I'm probably too late to this thread, but if the criteria is "it appeared during the Godzilla series", then Super Fleet Sazer-X the Movie should also probably be added for the Gotengo featuring in it. Probably the Go! Godman movie too for featuring Gaira.

I'm not sure what the Gorath, Dogora and The War in Space connection is to the Godzilla series, though, unless it's counting the offscreen canon of the Kiryu saga (although still don't know for The War in Space unless we are counting video games).

Also I'm guessing movies that make media connections aren't counted, otherwise Bye-Bye Jupiter and 20th Century Boys 2: The Last Hope would count as they reference and show Godzilla via footage from the movies.
If it bites... don't mess with it!