What was Ifukube's Opinion of Tanaka?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

What was Ifukube's Opinion of Tanaka?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was re-reading the TvTropes page on Godzilla vs. Biollante and under the Trouble Production trope they had this.
A less serious version, but still there. After The Return of Godzilla, Tomoyuki Tanaka wanted a direct sequel to be made. However after hearing King Kong Lives bombing, he was cautious on how the series would be handled. Kazuki Omori, who became director of the film, had a Teeth-Clenched Teamwork relationship with him (he blamed Tanaka for the quality of the series in the 70's like Ishiro Honda did, but Honda is more respectful about it. Akira Ifukube on the other hand...). They both settled on making a contest with five entries, one mentioned below, and Omori then decided to modify the screenplay (which took 3 years) until the film became what it is.
Okay so Honda and Omori were not fans of Tanaka's handling of Godzilla in the 70s. I can understand that with Honda being polite about it. But what about Ifukube? Were they saying that Ifukube liked it or he was like Omori and vocal about it? Then again he did score music for Super Mechagodzilla and Destroyah or maybe is feelings were complicated?

I really don't know all the stuff behind the scenes and lot of it is rather mixed but I'm curious now.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What was Ifukube's Opinion of Tanaka?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I was re-reading the TvTropes page on Godzilla vs. Biollante and under the Trouble Production trope they had this.
A less serious version, but still there. After The Return of Godzilla, Tomoyuki Tanaka wanted a direct sequel to be made. However after hearing King Kong Lives bombing, he was cautious on how the series would be handled. Kazuki Omori, who became director of the film, had a Teeth-Clenched Teamwork relationship with him (he blamed Tanaka for the quality of the series in the 70's like Ishiro Honda did, but Honda is more respectful about it. Akira Ifukube on the other hand...). They both settled on making a contest with five entries, one mentioned below, and Omori then decided to modify the screenplay (which took 3 years) until the film became what it is.
Okay so Honda and Omori were not fans of Tanaka's handling of Godzilla in the 70s. I can understand that with Honda being polite about it. But what about Ifukube? Were they saying that Ifukube liked it or he was like Omori and vocal about it? Then again he did score music for Super Mechagodzilla and Destroyah or maybe is feelings were complicated?

I really don't know all the stuff behind the scenes and lot of it is rather mixed but I'm curious now.
Is there any source or greater context to this?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Nah just what I showed from the Tvtropes quote.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... sBiollante

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

from what I remember, Ifukube did not give the slightest fuck about the Heisei series untill GVB. After they used his theme for Bio Wars, he got pissed they would use his music like that and basically told Tanaka to let him deal with his.music, which led to his self described positive time scoring the rest of the Heisei flicks. That's the only thing I remember about Tanaka and Ifukube directly

RIP Evan.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I'm not even sure if Honda himself was entirely polite, he had this to say
“In Japan, you can make money by just having Godzilla appear, and that is the sole reason why [Tomoyuki Tanaka] continues to make these flms. Enough with such hackneyed thinking.”
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:from what I remember, Ifukube did not give the slightest skreeonk about the Heisei series untill GVB. After they used his theme for Bio Wars, he got pissed they would use his music like that and basically told Tanaka to let him deal with his.music, which led to his self described positive time scoring the rest of the Heisei flicks. That's the only thing I remember about Tanaka and Ifukube directly
So Ifukube scored most of the Heisei series all thanks to Bio Wars?

You gotta be pulling our legs, lol.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:from what I remember, Ifukube did not give the slightest skreeonk about the Heisei series untill GVB. After they used his theme for Bio Wars, he got pissed they would use his music like that and basically told Tanaka to let him deal with his.music, which led to his self described positive time scoring the rest of the Heisei flicks. That's the only thing I remember about Tanaka and Ifukube directly

more because of him hating its existence then the song itself lol but yeah.

more specifically to quote IMDB
In 1984, after a nine-year hiatus, Toho revived the Godzilla series, and released Godzilla 1985 (1984), thus marked the beginning of the Godzilla "Heisei" series. Five years later, Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) was released. The composer of the film, Kôichi Sugiyama asked Ifukube if he could use some of his Godzilla themes. He said yes, as long as he doesn't change it into "pop music," which Ifukube dislikes. So, his themes were used, but unfortunately, to the contrary of what Ifukube wished. His daughter told him that no matter how much he stays away from scoring another Godzilla film, his themes will always be heard. So, she suggested that he score the next Godzilla film. Taking his daughter's suggestion into consideration, and after Toho came knocking on his door again, Ifukube came out of retirement; he scored the next three Godzilla films.

RIP Evan.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

I’m almost for certain this is true as I’ve also heard many years ago about an alleged controversy involving Ifukube being displeased his score was used as a sample for Bio-Wars.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Essentially Ifukube walked into Toho one day after hearing Bio Wars and was like

"Kiss you guys!"

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

ROMG4 wrote:Essentially Ifukube walked into Toho one day after hearing Bio Wars and was like

"Kiss you guys!"
I think he shouted “We’re the lethal weapon!” and blew the place up.
Long Live The Sting

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Stump Feet wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:Essentially Ifukube walked into Toho one day after hearing Bio Wars and was like

"Kiss you guys!"
I'm appalled that you could forget the most important parts of that sentence: "SHIT DAMN"

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:

"Kiss you guys!"
I'm appalled that you could forget the most important parts of that sentence: "poop DAMN"
:o

You’re absolutely right, and to think I call myself a fan…

I’ve disgraced this forum enough with my ignorance, may that damn Saradian agent have mercy on my soul.
Long Live The Sting

Wario94
Samurai

Post by Wario94 »

Even though I had heard of Godzilla vs. Biollante but I have completely never heard of this "Bio Wars". What's that?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wario94 wrote:Even though I had heard of Godzilla vs. Biollante but I have completely never heard of this "Bio Wars". What's that?
Bio-Wars is a poppy rock remix of the Godzilla theme. Considering Ikifube orchestrated big band music it would be understandable why he would be upset.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Wario94
Samurai

Post by Wario94 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Wario94 wrote:Even though I had heard of Godzilla vs. Biollante but I have completely never heard of this "Bio Wars". What's that?
Bio-Wars is a poppy rock remix of the Godzilla theme. Considering Ikifube orchestrated big band music it would be understandable why he would be upset.
Oh, I see. I have never thought of that until now.
Last edited by Wario94 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.