Underrated Music Tracks In Godzilla Movies

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Underrated Music Tracks In Godzilla Movies

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

So, we all adore the iconic tracks of music like the Godzilla March, Mothra's Song, Showa Mechagodzilla's Jazzy Theme, etc. But I'm here to talk about some underrated Godzilla music. This can include music from all eras of Godzilla, from Showa all the way to the Anime Trilogy (might update this later when the King of the Monsters soundtrack is released alongside the film). I'm interested to see what you all think! There's so much great music in the Godzilla series that nobody ever talks about, and I'm excited to see what you all come up with.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Underrated Music Tracks In Godzilla Movies

Post by eabaker »

The Kamakiras theme from Sonof Godzilla is a catchy, groovy earworm masterpiece.

Side note: Shouldn't this thread be in General Toho Films?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:The Kamakiras theme from Sonof Godzilla is a catchy, groovy earworm masterpiece.

And so it is.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

This is one of my favorites (the youtube borders aren't working)
MechaG vs Anguirus Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cnYJE ... mo&index=2
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:The Kamakiras theme from Sonof Godzilla is a catchy, groovy earworm masterpiece.

And so it is.
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure exactly what topic to put this in.
-Dr. Asimov

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Really Masaru Satō’s ‘60s scores in general, especially the sailing tracks in Sea Monster.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The Reflections of the Shobijin theme from Mothra vs Godzilla is such a great track that I hardly see people talking about. It's serene and haunting at the same time. Just about all of the motifs associated with Mothra in the film deserve praise, especially since its following Koseki's wonderful efforts.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

"Sacred Springs" from Mothra vs Godzilla is marvelous, it's melancholic and calming.

The Planet Eater has a great soundtrack, "Ruin and Salvation" is a particular standout.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Parent Godzilla Comes Ashore and its many variations throughout Son of Godzilla.

Gigan Awakens from Final Wars
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Parent Godzilla Comes Ashore and its many variations throughout Son of Godzilla.

Gigan Awakens from Final Wars
“Gigan Awakens” is one of my all time favorites!
-Dr. Asimov

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

"The Wave" from 2014

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I forgot how great that track is. Brings a sense of accomplishment and reflection, Ms Oshima did fantastic work.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I feel like both the opening scene of Final Wars, and SpaceGodzilla's arrival/theme both qualify here, for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The 70s scores feel very much of their time. Ifukube's music feels timeless and would work for films being made today (As Shin Godzilla showed) but the 70s films feel like they have scores that come strictly from that era. You can see that as a good or a bad thing. You could argue that they sound horribly dated, but its also good as it gives that decade of Godzilla its only flavor and identity, and quite honestly, the scores are wild and fun. I love the score for Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, knowing full well it would never work today. I also like the triumphant horn theme music that Manabe gave to Godzilla in Godzilla Vs. Hedorah and Godzilla Vs. Megalon.

I liked the score for Spacegodzilla. It is a bit jarring if you watched all the 90s films in a row and all of a sudden you get this one that isn't scored by Ifukube, but Hattori's score is quite good, with a nice theme for Spacegodzilla.

Honestly, it never gets brought up, but I actually prefer the US OST for Godzilla 2000. Hattori's score for that film had a good main theme, but he kept using it at various speeds in seemingly every situation. The US OST varied it up a bit with some terriffic battle music and special little touches here and there to jazz it up a bit.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

GojiDog wrote:Honestly, it never gets brought up, but I actually prefer the US OST for Godzilla 2000. Hattori's score for that film had a good main theme, but he kept using it at various speeds in seemingly every situation. The US OST varied it up a bit with some terriffic battle music and special little touches here and there to jazz it up a bit.
Not to mention one of the most epic variations of Ifukube's Godzilla Theme ever composed for a film.
You all know which one I'm talking about.
-Dr. Asimov

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
GojiDog wrote:Honestly, it never gets brought up, but I actually prefer the US OST for Godzilla 2000. Hattori's score for that film had a good main theme, but he kept using it at various speeds in seemingly every situation. The US OST varied it up a bit with some terriffic battle music and special little touches here and there to jazz it up a bit.
Not to mention one of the most epic variations of Ifukube's Godzilla Theme ever composed for a film.
You all know which one I'm talking about.
You mean the track used for Orga's reveal scene? Yeah, that was awesome.

I saw the US version first and that music helped get me pumped up for the fight, and I was stunned when I saw the Japanese version which had a much more muted and lifeless track to accompany the scene.

To throw some love at the MCU, they seem to know the exact right times to play the Avengers theme music and when its used, it punctuates those moments perfectly.

Its amazing what a difference music and sound can make to a visual medium.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Terasawa wrote: Really Masaru Satō’s ‘60s scores in general, especially the sailing tracks in Sea Monster.
I enjoy basically the entire score from Ebirah, but it definitely never seems to get much love. Definitely some underappreciated pieces.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

GojiDog wrote: To throw some love at the MCU, they seem to know the exact right times to play the Avengers theme music and when its used, it punctuates those moments perfectly.

Its amazing what a difference music and sound can make to a visual medium.
Which is why it’s such a shame that the MCU has never been able to have consistency with the themes for their individual heroes.

Here’s a good example of how much better the MCU could be with some more musical consistency!
https://youtu.be/cVKS3wqVbZ0
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dr. Asimov

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Terasawa wrote: Really Masaru Satō’s ‘60s scores in general, especially the sailing tracks in Sea Monster.
I enjoy basically the entire score from Ebirah, but it definitely never seems to get much love. Definitely some underappreciated pieces.
Love the groovy surf music.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983