Controlled Monsters More Powerful/Evil?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Controlled Monsters More Powerful/Evil?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’ve noticed in a lot of Godzilla films there’s a consistent tropes of aliens/monsters being controlled by aliens being more powerful. Usually, most monsters, Showa Gigan, and Ghidorah seem to actually actively weaken, or flee, the instant that the command is broken. It may also be that the control breaking, in most cases, causes the monsters to be crippled. Maybe it’s that the monsters, while fearsome, are more instinctual, and that while being controlled they’re better fighters?

IIRC, IOTAM Ghidorah has a seizure when the control is broken, as does Heisei Ghidorah.

It makes you wonder if a lot of these monsters, Gigan and Megalon, are even malovelent, or if they suffer from the same malice as Titanosaurus.

Can anyone think of an example of the reverse happening, when monsters get more powerful after the control breaking?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Breakdown
Keizer

Re: Controlled Monsters More Powerful/Evil?

Post by Breakdown »

Monster X becoming Keizer Ghidorah could be considered an example, as the latter easily overpowers Godzilla unlike Monster X who was evenly matched.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Without mind control they have no reason to keep on fighting, and usually the mind control is only broken after they've been worn out anyway. I don't see a reason to think the mind control itself makes them stronger.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it so I might be getting some events mixed up but King Ghidorah in GVKG nearly choked Godzilla to death after its control had been sabotaged.

I don’t think the monsters are physically stronger while under control so much as they are just more focused.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree. A dog under human control is no stronger than a wild dog. Monsters under control are more likely to ignore their survival instincts. When control ends, they regain that sense to survive, which is why Ghidorah and Gigan fled from their battles.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I remember Gigan and King Ghidorah continuing to battle Godzilla and Anguirus after they got un-mind controlled, and they only started losing once they began bickering with one another.

I'll have to echo what UltramanGoji said, as when controlled the monsters are probably more focused. It's no different then getting into the zone when playing sports.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I remember Gigan and King Ghidorah continuing to battle Godzilla and Anguirus after they got un-mind controlled, and they only started losing once they began bickering with one another.

I'll have to echo what UltramanGoji said, as when controlled the monsters are probably more focused. It's no different then getting into the zone when playing sports.
So you're saying that Gigan and King Ghidorah are at their best as Zone Fighters?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Heisei King Ghidorah didn't know what to do without instructions, hence constricting Godzilla. It was the best a confused animal could do.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I remember Gigan and King Ghidorah continuing to battle Godzilla and Anguirus after they got un-mind controlled, and they only started losing once they began bickering with one another.

So you're saying that Gigan and King Ghidorah are at their best as Zone Fighters?
Precisely. ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Bravo, Eabaker.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.