Controlled Monsters More Powerful/Evil?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Controlled Monsters More Powerful/Evil?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:18 pm

I’ve noticed in a lot of Godzilla films there’s a consistent tropes of aliens/monsters being controlled by aliens being more powerful. Usually, most monsters, Showa Gigan, and Ghidorah seem to actually actively weaken, or flee, the instant that the command is broken. It may also be that the control breaking, in most cases, causes the monsters to be crippled. Maybe it’s that the monsters, while fearsome, are more instinctual, and that while being controlled they’re better fighters?

IIRC, IOTAM Ghidorah has a seizure when the control is broken, as does Heisei Ghidorah.

It makes you wonder if a lot of these monsters, Gigan and Megalon, are even malovelent, or if they suffer from the same malice as Titanosaurus.

Can anyone think of an example of the reverse happening, when monsters get more powerful after the control breaking?
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Re: Controlled Monsters More Powerful/Evil?

Postby Breakdown » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:07 am

Monster X becoming Keizer Ghidorah could be considered an example, as the latter easily overpowers Godzilla unlike Monster X who was evenly matched.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:23 am

Without mind control they have no reason to keep on fighting, and usually the mind control is only broken after they've been worn out anyway. I don't see a reason to think the mind control itself makes them stronger.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:14 am

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it so I might be getting some events mixed up but King Ghidorah in GVKG nearly choked Godzilla to death after its control had been sabotaged.

I don’t think the monsters are physically stronger while under control so much as they are just more focused.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I agree. A dog under human control is no stronger than a wild dog. Monsters under control are more likely to ignore their survival instincts. When control ends, they regain that sense to survive, which is why Ghidorah and Gigan fled from their battles.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm

I remember Gigan and King Ghidorah continuing to battle Godzilla and Anguirus after they got un-mind controlled, and they only started losing once they began bickering with one another.

I'll have to echo what UltramanGoji said, as when controlled the monsters are probably more focused. It's no different then getting into the zone when playing sports.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I remember Gigan and King Ghidorah continuing to battle Godzilla and Anguirus after they got un-mind controlled, and they only started losing once they began bickering with one another.

I'll have to echo what UltramanGoji said, as when controlled the monsters are probably more focused. It's no different then getting into the zone when playing sports.

So you're saying that Gigan and King Ghidorah are at their best as Zone Fighters?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Heisei King Ghidorah didn't know what to do without instructions, hence constricting Godzilla. It was the best a confused animal could do.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:56 am

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I remember Gigan and King Ghidorah continuing to battle Godzilla and Anguirus after they got un-mind controlled, and they only started losing once they began bickering with one another.

So you're saying that Gigan and King Ghidorah are at their best as Zone Fighters?

Precisely. ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:50 am

Bravo, Eabaker.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Return to “General Toho Films”