Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Ben Shapiro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 am

While browsing Reddit I came across this clickbait-sounding story about how Toho was seemingly “distancing” Godzilla and his nuclear ties for the US marketing, which can be found here- https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... ?context=3

It read as follows-

So during an interview between YouTuber Luminous and a NECA representative at this years Toy Fair, a seemingly innocent question popped up in which he asked what the "atomic power" Godzilla's official name would be, the answer we got was an interesting one, she went on to explain that Toho was very particular with the approval of naming their Godzilla variants and would not allow NECA to use any names that involve nuclear relations, keep in mind as she's explaining this, you can tell she's just as confused explaining it as we are hearing it.

This certainly seems to be the case too as their new Godzilla 1962's atomic breath accessory is now referred to as just a "heat ray" on the box.

Here is said video if you'd wish to check it out yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw1bte_uVBg

(Skip to 5:20)

Here’s another

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2T_Ghjxrko

(Skip to 1:24) ​

Now this is just a theory, but do you think Toho's trying to faze out the character's in your face ties to nuclear abities and bombs as it brings the character into the worldwide market in this day and age where times have truly changed, and people are a lot more sensitive for lack of a better term?


At first, I thought this was pure nonsense, Godzilla couldn’t possibly be going PC! But after watching the videos provided, it does seem like Toho might actually be deciding to shy away from it for the mass market- which is utterly idiotic in my opinion, but I’m open to hear your thoughts. Is this a sound move in your opinion or do you find it ridiculous?
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14191
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:57 am

Good find.

Not sure on this myself. We'll have to see how it works with future products and even the movies themselves. I think trying to steer the character away from this is a pretty stupid move. The nuclear origin is directly tied to the character, you can't just up and remove that for fear of upsetting people. If that's the mentality, then you'd have to ban the original movie and any one since that directly ties the character with nuclear weapons.
Image

User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Ben Shapiro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:08 am

I could be reaching a tad here but it might be worth noting that the last three incarnations of Godzilla weren’t directly connected to the traditional nuclear bombings for their origins either.
G14 was an unaltered ancient animal, Shin fed on nuclear waste, and Anime was an avatar for the Earth.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2242
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: albaquarky
Contact:

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:33 am

Ben Shapiro wrote:I could be reaching a tad here but it might be worth noting that the last three incarnations of Godzilla weren’t directly connected to the traditional nuclear bombings for their origins either.
G14 was an unaltered ancient animal, Shin fed on nuclear waste, and Anime was an avatar for the Earth.

Neither was the original Godzilla ever explicitly stated to be mutated from nuclear testings, simply awakened.

Should they ever strip the character of his nuclear origins? Hell no. But in how many movies is it a serious plotpoint? And to be honest, our perception on nuclear warfare and the like is quite different from what it was in the 1950s. I feel the "brotherhood of man" aspect of many of the films resonates way more in this day and age (And probably forever) than their anti-nuclear messages.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am

To make matters worse, they're phasing in nationalism and hatred towards fans
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4798
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby G2000 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 am

Ben Shapiro wrote:I could be reaching a tad here but it might be worth noting that the last three incarnations of Godzilla weren’t directly connected to the traditional nuclear bombings for their origins either.
G14 was an unaltered ancient animal, Shin fed on nuclear waste, and Anime was an avatar for the Earth.


Even so Shin was definitely a nuclear allegory, albeit more in line with post Fukushima Japanese nuclear fears than Hiroshima. IIRC original plans for the planned 70's Gojira remake that eventually morphed into G84/Return of Godzilla had a planned nuclear waste origin in line with Three Mile Island/China Syndrome fears of the time before the early 80s brought nuclear war back into vogue. Maybe a future Godzilla film will feature an origin story tied in in with North Korean nuclear testing, I don't know.

On topic, I can sort of understand why they're doing it but I do disagree with it. Godzilla is almost inextricably linked with nuclear power; even the heroic Godzillas and Legendary's ancient beast source their powers from radioactivity and are linked to the atomic bomb in some form.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10289
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Doubt it.

They removed nuclear bombs from Shin Godzilla's origin but still tied it down to nuclear waste.
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5672
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 pm

I think they should keep the nuclear aspect intact for all worldwide consumption. It'd give the entire world this concept of, if we don't stop going the way we're going, disaster WILL strike.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 pm

G14 heavily featured actual bombs in it's plot and Shin only revamped his origin to tie him more strongly to a recent nuclear disaster.

The anime doesn't have as much of a -nuclear- message as most Godzilla films, but all of its themes about nature, ecology, weapons, technology, and so on are familiar ground for the franchise, I don't think they should be taken as evidence that they're moving away from Godzilla's roots.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Makes sense, and doesn’t seem to be a big issue, at least for me.

On one hand, Godzilla origins, at least the 1954 one and a few subsequent films, directly and indirectly tie into nuclear testing, and nuclear bombs. And sure, maybe incarnations of Godzilla weren’t directly created by the atomic bomb, but they certainly tie into the imagery and destruction caused by them. There’s no denying that.

I have a feeling this might be for one simple reason, that Godzilla has transcended his original allegory. By keeping Godzilla a nuclear monster, there’s less versatility you can use with the monster.

Anime Gojira, barely had anything to due with radiation, and was a strange plant electricity hybrid. The atomic bomb was used as a direct image to represent a broader scope of scientific weapons and the pursuit of power leading to the downfall of intelligent races, but Anime Gojira had no direct connection.

Next, and most importantly is Shin, which is where it gets dicey. Sure, Shin wasn’t created by the atomic bomb, but it was certainly in film a representation of the tsunami/earthquake, and the Fukishima disaster that followed. Shin explicitly let’s off radiation throughout the film in its wake, and its final form and abilities represents nuclear power and bombs.

If I had to guess, Toho probably felt that moving forward it would be better to not strictly limit Godzilla to the nuclear side of things, and at the same time, it would be insesnsitive for the American Godzilla, who quite frankly isn’t a symbol for anything really, to be nuclear powered


Also, hate to say this, but maybe they’re trying to kid friendly the toys, and having atomic power, whichbhas more implications and difficult to understand, might just be more difficult compared to heat Ray.

Edit: upon re-reading this, it’s clear they just said NECA couldn’t do this. I don’t see how that’s Toho saying no more nuclear Gojira. They don’t want a third party to accidentally misuse a sensitive word in a toy product made for children. Makes sense IMO.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:18 am

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:49 am

This is like trying to remove dead parents from any Batman media. It's a foundational part of the character. Tragic as it may be, it's necessary to have that tragedy shape the character in the future.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

Image
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am

To be honest I think people are blowing this out of proportion now. It only states that they don’t want NECA, a third party, to have a toy with the word atomic on it.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Godzillian » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:27 am

Jesus, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
Image

User avatar
GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby GoWhaleTours » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Makes sense, and doesn’t seem to be a big issue, at least for me.

On one hand, Godzilla origins, at least the 1954 one and a few subsequent films, directly and indirectly tie into nuclear testing, and nuclear bombs. And sure, maybe incarnations of Godzilla weren’t directly created by the atomic bomb, but they certainly tie into the imagery and destruction caused by them. There’s no denying that.

I have a feeling this might be for one simple reason, that Godzilla has transcended his original allegory. By keeping Godzilla a nuclear monster, there’s less versatility you can use with the monster.

Anime Gojira, barely had anything to due with radiation, and was a strange plant electricity hybrid. The atomic bomb was used as a direct image to represent a broader scope of scientific weapons and the pursuit of power leading to the downfall of intelligent races, but Anime Gojira had no direct connection.

Next, and most importantly is Shin, which is where it gets dicey. Sure, Shin wasn’t created by the atomic bomb, but it was certainly in film a representation of the tsunami/earthquake, and the Fukishima disaster that followed. Shin explicitly let’s off radiation throughout the film in its wake, and its final form and abilities represents nuclear power and bombs.

If I had to guess, Toho probably felt that moving forward it would be better to not strictly limit Godzilla to the nuclear side of things, and at the same time, it would be insesnsitive for the American Godzilla, who quite frankly isn’t a symbol for anything really, to be nuclear powered


Also, hate to say this, but maybe they’re trying to kid friendly the toys, and having atomic power, whichbhas more implications and difficult to understand, might just be more difficult compared to heat Ray.

Edit: upon re-reading this, it’s clear they just said NECA couldn’t do this. I don’t see how that’s Toho saying no more nuclear Gojira. They don’t want a third party to accidentally misuse a sensitive word in a toy product made for children. Makes sense IMO.

Neca figures aren’t made for children though.
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:38 pm

It's probably not going to be a big deal, I mean, the anime specifically calls Godzilla's beam "atomic breath".
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Ivo-goji » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Waitaminit, since when is Ben Shapiro a Toho Kingdom user?
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Ben Shapiro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:Waitaminit, since when is Ben Shapiro a Toho Kingdom user?

I like to believe I’ve always been here in spirit.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
tbeasley
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:28 pm
Location: the tbunker

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby tbeasley » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Ah yes Ben Shapiro
Image
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Ben Shapiro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 pm


Haha, only to the leftists maybe.

On the topic of this thread, I find it odd this policy only seems to apply to marketing.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Toho Fazing Out Godzilla’s Nuclear References For US Marketing?

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:22 pm

Who the skreeonk is Ben Shapiro?
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:





Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests