Has there ever been a "Trample' scene in the series?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Shadd21
Samurai

Has there ever been a "Trample' scene in the series?

Post by Shadd21 »

Just wondering, has there ever been a scene like the one below in the Godzilla and Gamera franchises?

Last edited by Shadd21 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Has there ever been a "Trample' scene in the series?

Post by eabaker »

There's some disagreement among viewers about whether or not Titanosaurus actually steps on the two kids in Terror of Mechagodzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:There's some disagreement among viewers about whether or not Titanosaurus actually steps on the two kids in Terror of Mechagodzilla.
I'm on the side that says he doesn't, I doubt Honda would even imply children being killed, and when Godzilla appears Titanosaurus stumbles back a little.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
eabaker wrote:There's some disagreement among viewers about whether or not Titanosaurus actually steps on the two kids in Terror of Mechagodzilla.
I'm on the side that says he doesn't, I doubt Honda would even imply children being killed, and when Godzilla appears Titanosaurus stumbles back a little.
I agree that the intent was for Godzilla to show up just in the nick of time. Otherwise, the scene doesn't even really serve a purpose, other than maybe going for some kind of edgelord effect, which would not be very Honda-esque, or very Champion Festival friendly.

I can see, however, where some people find it kind of implausible that Titano's foot came down that far, directly over them, without his finishing the step. Obviously the American distributors thought the kids were crushed, since they felt compelled to trim the end of the shot.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
I agree that the intent was for Godzilla to show up just in the nick of time. Otherwise, the scene doesn't even really serve a purpose, other than maybe going for some kind of edgelord effect, which would not be very Honda-esque, or very Champion Festival friendly.

I can see, however, where some people find it kind of implausible that Titano's foot came down that far, directly over them, without his finishing the step. Obviously the American distributors thought the kids were crushed, since they felt compelled to trim the end of the shot.
Not to mention when Godzilla appears the kids exclaim "Godzilla!", unless I'm only remembering that from the US version.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: I'm on the side that says he doesn't, I doubt Honda would even imply children being killed, and when Godzilla appears Titanosaurus stumbles back a little.

Not to mention when Godzilla appears the kids exclaim "Godzilla!", unless I'm only remembering that from the US version.
If I'm remembering correctly, the US version has the "Godzilla!" over Godzilla's appearance, but the Japanese cut has it as Titano's foot is still in motion.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
eabaker wrote:

If I'm remembering correctly, the US version has the "Godzilla!" over Godzilla's appearance, but the Japanese cut has it as Titano's foot is still in motion.
I'm probably gonna rewatch it later, so I can analyze it for the greater good of the fandom :lol: ;)

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

This isn't Godzilla or Gamera and I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure Guilala steps on some people in The X From Outer Space.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Zilla did it in 98' although somehow the guy wasn't hurt.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

There are also (IIRC) a few shots in G98 where you actually do see him stepping on people, mostly during the initial New York rampage scene.

Oh, and of course the scene from GMK where he stomps the dumb kids and their house early in the movie.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

KillCrites wrote:This isn't Godzilla or Gamera and I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure Guilala steps on some people in The X From Outer Space.
When do these scenes occur in the films?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla tramples the hobo in Return of Godzilla.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m ditto on the “no step” side. It’s not shown or really implied, just that Godzilla presumably showed up at the right moment. That was one of the biggest things that befuddled me about TOMG; I heard about that but even as a kid I never had that implication.

Anyways, GMK Goji definitely crushes some people. I think actually it’s explicitly mentioned, IIRC, during the scene where the lead is riding a bike, that “hundreds have been trampled”. It’s not on screen but it’s one of the few times that it is stated explicitly.

Also, do people in tanks count? There’s that scene in the opening of GXMG where someone was in a master tank and gets crushed.

I don’t think the Godzilla series has actually ever shown someone getting crushed or the remains of them, and I think it works better for the series. A lot of the monsters cause wide spread damage to not just the humans but the infrastructure and area around them.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Shadd21 wrote:
KillCrites wrote:This isn't Godzilla or Gamera and I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure Guilala steps on some people in The X From Outer Space.
When do these scenes occur in the films?
The one in Terror of Mechagodzilla is somewhere a little after the 1 hour mark, as Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are demolishing Tokyo.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Godzilla's foot crashed through an overpass onto some people in GMK no?
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

There is also the scene in Gojira where you see him walking on the street with people stumbling. I don't recall if there is anyone under his foot, but the implication is there.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Godzilla tramples the hobo in Return of Godzilla.
I could have sworn there was some crowd shots of many, many
people getting "trampled" in (The Return of) Godzilla (1985)...

*Thinks*

I may need to give that film another watch just to be sure.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

There definitely is at least one shot in The Return of Godzilla with that awkward robo-foot trampling people.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:There definitely is at least one shot in The Return of Godzilla with that awkward robo-foot trampling people.
Yeah...I think it happens during the excellent nuclear power plant raid scene.

I think...

I'm no expert.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:There definitely is at least one shot in The Return of Godzilla with that awkward robo-foot trampling people.
Yeah...I think it happens during the excellent nuclear power plant raid scene.

I think...

I'm no expert.
The one I'm referring to is during the Tokyo attack.