Hedorah vs. Destroyah: Godzilla’s Deadliest Foe

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Who’s The Deadliest?

Hedorah
66%
Destroyah
34%

Total votes: 53

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hedorah vs. Destroyah: Godzilla’s Deadliest Foe

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah Destroyah is just an updated Hedorah. Instead of the focus on pollution, it’s now a focus on nuclear energy, or at least new fission based energy. Likewise Hedorah and DestroyH themselves, in a few ways, are actually Godzilla clones themselves. Shin sortve also ties it together more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Within the confines of their film, and judging by the films feats: Hedorah.

As a concept, not counting the execution of the concept: Destroyah.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Likewise Hedorah and DestroyH themselves, in a few ways, are actually Godzilla clones themselves. Shin sortve also ties it together more.
Yeah, if instead of making Hedorah a space tadpole effected by toxic waste and just a regular tadpole, the similarities would have been one to one. A little more effective, IMO. But the Showa era was obsessed with space monsters.
Grievous wrote: I don't get what the fandom see's in SpaceGodzilla.

Ghidorah I get...Gigan I get...Orga I get...but SpaceGodzilla...

He's just a blue version of Godzilla with a crystal fetish & Professor X powers.

Lame!
SpaceGodzilla was the shittiest movie in the entire Heisei era, but that doesn't negate the point I was making that he was one of the few enemies with a clear motivation.
Last edited by Malchik on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Malchik wrote:
Grievous wrote: I don't get what the fandom see's in SpaceGodzilla.

Ghidorah I get...Gigan I get...Orga I get...but SpaceGodzilla...

He's just a blue version of Godzilla with a crystal fetish & Professor X powers.

Lame!
SpaceGodzilla was the shittiest movie in the entire Heisei era, but that doesn't negate the point I was making that he was one of the few enemies with a clear motivation.
Personally, I also thought it had to do with his intellect. Most of the other "ultimate" villans are mostly mindless destroyers, so Spacegodzilla's strategizing makes him standout.

RIP Evan.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While Destroyah is powerful and hard to kill, Hedorah is the more dangerous foe. Hedorah cannot be killed by Godzilla. The only injury Godzilla was able to inflict on Hedorah was to take out an eye, and Destroyah had its chest ripped open and was being seriously blasted by the atomic ray as Godzilla neared meltdown. Add the fact that Hedorah had the potential to become much stronger by simply feeding on man's trash and pollution.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Malchik wrote:SpaceGodzilla was the shittiest movie in the entire Heisei era, but that doesn't negate the point I was making that he was one of the few enemies with a clear motivation.
And his motivation was...

To claim a tower & build a crystal garden around it?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Malchik wrote:SpaceGodzilla was the shittiest movie in the entire Heisei era, but that doesn't negate the point I was making that he was one of the few enemies with a clear motivation.

Thought it was something along the lines of taking over the entire planet and terraforming it to his needs. But it's been a minute since I've watched it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Grievous wrote:

Thought it was something along the lines of taking over the entire planet and terraforming it to his needs. But it's been a minute since I've watched it.
Yeah, that's pretty well on the money. He started with a fortress to channel his power, and Godzilla stopped him before he could spread further.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Thought it was something along the lines of taking over the entire planet and terraforming it to his needs.
Oh...

So that's where DC pulled its villain motivations
from for Man Of Steel & the Justice League.

:roll:

Lame!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m sure it’s total coincidence, but it’s kind of cool how both of Godzilla’s ‘ultimate’ foes are these crazy, multiple form, evolving, conglomerating monstrosities.
Destroyah was never Godzilla’s ultimate foe… take off the nostalgia goggles.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m sure it’s total coincidence, but it’s kind of cool how both of Godzilla’s ‘ultimate’ foes are these crazy, multiple form, evolving, conglomerating monstrosities.
Destroyah was never Godzilla’s ultimate foe… take off the nostalgia goggles.
For the Heisei series he most certainly was. He was the final monster of the series and killed Godzilla Jr before severely punishing senior. And the monster fits thematically tying right into the oxygen destroyer.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:For the Heisei series he most certainly was.
Nah...

That would go to (Super) MechaGodzilla...at least
it would in my opinion.

If not for the Rodan fueled "Power Up" MechaGodzilla
would have would have ended Godzilla once & for all
& with Rodan also dead the infant Godzilla would have
most likely remained in JSDF custody.
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Grievous wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:For the Heisei series he most certainly was.
Nah...

That would go to (Super) MechaGodzilla...at least
it would in my opinion.

If not for the Rodan fueled "Power Up" MechaGodzilla
would have would have ended Godzilla once & for all
& with Rodan also dead the infant Godzilla would have
most likely remained in JSDF custody.
You could just as easily say if the JDSF didn’t use crying weapons Destroyah would’ve continued his rampage and killed Godzilla. Plus Burning Godzilla is super duper strong. I’m not saying SMG2 isn’t also a great antagonist, in a way it kicks off the second half of the Heisei series, but Destroyah has way more tie in to Godzilla. MG is a robot built with futuristic tech based off Godzilla, Destroyah is the oxygen destroyer. Mg is cool and all, but Destroyah has a big sense of finality to him.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I would suggest that neither is a particular ultimate foe because both are just given arbitrary deus ex machina abilities to make them a threat... but if anything, Destroyah does have the closer claim with killing Junior. I would kind of resist because his unexploited connection to the Oxygen Destroyer almost docks points off his score; he is a poorly-utilized ultimate foe, but his actions do still (barely) qualify him within the Heisei series.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:I would suggest that neither is a particular ultimate foe because both are just given arbitrary deus ex machina abilities to make them a threat... but if anything, Destroyah does have the closer claim with killing Junior. I would kind of resist because his unexploited connection to the Oxygen Destroyer almost docks points off his score; he is a poorly-utilized ultimate foe, but his actions do still (barely) qualify him within the Heisei series.
What deus ex machina abilities are either of them given? Destroyah is only powerful in concept.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I realized both monsters are similar because they’re defeated via technology the humans made and have a crippling weakness that would otherwise not be exploitable. Godzilla was only really able to defeat Hedorah by using that large electrical screen that dries it out. Destroyah as killed via freezing weapons. And still in both cases, though Hedorah is pretty much confirmed, would come back.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:I would suggest that neither is a particular ultimate foe because both are just given arbitrary deus ex machina abilities to make them a threat... but if anything, Destroyah does have the closer claim with killing Junior. I would kind of resist because his unexploited connection to the Oxygen Destroyer almost docks points off his score; he is a poorly-utilized ultimate foe, but his actions do still (barely) qualify him within the Heisei series.
What deus ex machina abilities are either of them given? Destroyah is only powerful in concept.
MechaGodzilla is only a lethal threat because of the shock cables and the arbitrary creation of the secondary brain weakness for that film. Destroyah- yeah, he's pretty much only powerful in concept. Perhaps Deus Ex Machina is less the correct term for him than... 'concept never brought to fruition'? He lacks the deadliness of the oxygen destroyer; heck, he kills junior by dropping him from a great height. There's nothing oxygen destroyer about that; Rodan could've done that, or MechaGodzilla, or SpaceGodzilla, or Mothra, or Battra... it just so happens that Destroyah actually did. Likewise, Godzilla's death has nothing to do with micro-oxygen or the destroyer; nor does any of the significant damage or any significant challenge from Godzilla result from it.

MechaGodzilla is given an arbitrary ability/newly-created weak spot on Godzilla to render him a threat; Destroyah is simply given a meaningless, theoretically-powerful, theoretically-relevant weapon that he never actually uses to any effect.

In terms of power levels and the ability to exploit them, I really would reckon SpaceGodzilla as a better ultimate foe; but in terms of film roles, I think Destroyah barely qualifies- and beats out MechaG and SpaceGodzilla (barely; I mean, SpaceGodzilla also goes after Junior, putting his cumulative total for being more threatening with base powers very near to Destroyah's) by the death of Godzilla's son- and that alone.

(From my perspective, at least).

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
MechaGodzilla is only a lethal threat because of the shock cables and the arbitrary creation of the secondary brain weakness for that film. Destroyah- yeah, he's pretty much only powerful in concept. Perhaps Deus Ex Machina is less the correct term for him than... 'concept never brought to fruition'? He lacks the deadliness of the oxygen destroyer; heck, he kills junior by dropping him from a great height. There's nothing oxygen destroyer about that; Rodan could've done that, or MechaGodzilla, or SpaceGodzilla, or Mothra, or Battra... it just so happens that Destroyah actually did. Likewise, Godzilla's death has nothing to do with micro-oxygen or the destroyer; nor does any of the significant damage or any significant challenge from Godzilla result from it.

MechaGodzilla is given an arbitrary ability/newly-created weak spot on Godzilla to render him a threat; Destroyah is simply given a meaningless, theoretically-powerful, theoretically-relevant weapon that he never actually uses to any effect.

In terms of power levels and the ability to exploit them, I really would reckon SpaceGodzilla as a better ultimate foe; but in terms of film roles, I think Destroyah barely qualifies- and beats out MechaG and SpaceGodzilla (barely; I mean, SpaceGodzilla also goes after Junior, putting his cumulative total for being more threatening with base powers very near to Destroyah's) by the death of Godzilla's son- and that alone.

(From my perspective, at least).
I definitely thought you were saying Hedorah and Destoryah had deus ex machina abilities, not MechaG. That's what I get for not reading up. You're talking Heisei only.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:I definitely thought you were saying Hedorah and Destoryah had deus ex machina abilities, not MechaG. That's what I get for not reading up. You're talking Heisei only.
Oh, sorry! I may not have been clear in which quote I was responding to.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I definitely thought you were saying Hedorah and Destoryah had deus ex machina abilities, not MechaG. That's what I get for not reading up. You're talking Heisei only.
Oh, sorry! I may not have been clear in which quote I was responding to.
No, no, if I read the first two or three posts above yours it would have been obvious haha. It's my bad.