Shintoho's films: what's their fate?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Shintoho's films: what's their fate?

Post by mikelcho »

I was just wondering: what was the fate of Shintoho's various films after they went out of business?

Did they get absorbed into Toho's inventory or have they been stuck in legal limbo somewhere?

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Re: Shintoho's films: what's their fate?

Post by Joseph Goodman »

The Shintoho library is controlled by International Television Films, Inc (http://www.kokusaihoei.co.jp), which grew out of Shintoho back when it still was in operation. Since 2010, they have operated as a subsidiary of Toho.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Shintoho's films: what's their fate?

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks; at least I now know what happened to them. I take it, then, that this includes the nine Starman films as well.

I say this because, on my 4-4-18 post on "Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema", I mentioned that most, if not all, of the Japanese tokusatsu movies that the aforementioned company has been releasing lately have come from either Daiei/Kadokawa or Shintoho. You can see the film lists for both studios on the Wikipedia articles "Shintoho" and "List of Daiei Films" (the latter should be "List of Daiei films"; the first way that it's written is incorrect).

I wonder why Toho hasn't found out anything about this and acted accordingly, like they always do and have done in the past? As I recall, they're very protective when it comes to what's theirs.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 am, edited 11 times in total.