Which Godzilla film from a particular decade best represents that time?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Re: Which Godzilla film from a particular decade best represents that time?

Post by Gojira18 »

Maritonic wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Godzilla vs. Hedorah would like a word...

so would Godzilla vs. Gigan...
Hedorah was too weird for me and I can't get past the obvious stock footage in Gigan. I get they had a tight budget, but come on, man!
Hedorah was too out there for me for a long time until I realized just how damn dark it is and how truly 70's it is. It's one of a kind.

Gigan, yeah the stock footage sucks. No doubts there. The movie is just so much damn fun, Gigan is awesome, and the characters and plot are enjoyable. But hey yeah everyone's got different opinions.
Agreed. Gigan is really cool (Thought I much prefer his FInal Wars design) and it is brutal at times, I just can't get past all its flaws.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Which Godzilla film from a particular decade best represents that time?

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Godzilla vs. Hedorah would like a word...

so would Godzilla vs. Gigan...
Hedorah was too weird for me and I can't get past the obvious stock footage in Gigan. I get they had a tight budget, but come on, man!
Hedorah was too out there for me for a long time until I realized just how damn dark it is and how truly 70's it is. It's one of a kind.

Gigan, yeah the stock footage sucks. No doubts there. The movie is just so much damn fun, Gigan is awesome, and the characters and plot are enjoyable. But hey yeah everyone's got different opinions.
To me, Hedorah, Gigan and Terror of Mechagodzilla are all movies that achieve a real unity of theme and style, while Megalon doesn't really have either, and vs. Mechagodzilla is all style and no substance.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.