First Time You Saw Each Godzilla Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: First Time You Saw Each Godzilla Movie

Post by szmigiel »

Godzilla: KotM 56, Godzilla Vs the Thing, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla Vs Monster Zero, Godzilla Vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla's Revenge, and Godzilla Vs the Smog Monster. All during Godzilla/Monster Week on the 4 O'Clock movie, or on a UHF afternoon Horror/Sci-fi blocks in Detroit area. I honestly couldn't tell you which I saw first, I just always remember searching the TV guide for monster movies each week.

I do remember seeing King Kong Vs Godzilla and King Kong Escapes on the CBC, which I was able to get in being so close to Windsor, but never on the Detroit stations that I can recall.

Godzilla Vs Megalon, Godzilla on Monster Island, Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla I saw at weekend matinee, then they slowly started replacing the older movies on TV. By the late 80's and early 90's most movie blocks on local TV ended and were replaced by syndicated shows. The last Godzilla movie I saw 1st on TV was Godzilla 1985 when i should up on the 8 O'Clock movie on Channel 50.

By the late 80's the VCR was now a common household item, and I was able to rent Godzilla Vs Biollante from Thomas Video a cult video store. I also finally got to see Godzilla Raids Again after finding it in the VHS bargain bin. It was a cheap EP copy and after watching it once I don't think I watched it again. I would get the occasional Godzilla VHS but since they were ep copies the quality was never very good.

I was lucky enough to be tape trading Anime and Tokusatsu in the 90's and had some contacts that would travel to Japan and back, so I was able to start watching the Heisei films about 6 month or so after their December theatrical run. Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla Vs Mothra, Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II, Godzilla Vs Spacegodzilla (I remember the copy having the timing code still on it), and Godzilla Vs Desoroyah. But these were all in Japanese with no subtitles at the time. Sometimes you could get a Hong Kong release with white Chinese and English subtitles. Godzilla 2000 was the last Godzilla film I saw on VHS 1st, watching the Japanese version even before they announced it was coming to the US theaters. I also got a very dark VHS copy of Gojira 54 which was fan subtitled. I also got VHS copies of the Japanese widescreen laserdisks of DAM, Mothra Vs Godzilla, and Ghidorah.

Starting with Godzilla Vs Megaguirus I was ordering bootleg HK DVDs, seeing GMK, and the two Kiryu films this way.

I always tried to preorder the DVDs which had the Japanese and English versions of the films as they were released. Getting Godzilla Final Wars when it was released and being the 1st time I saw the film.

Godzilla (2014), Shin Godzilla, and Godzilla KOTM in the theater.

Finally the Anime Trilogy on Netflix.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I saw GINO in 1998 while I was only 4 years old. Hunted down every single movie on VHS except for Godzilla Raids Again and perhaps a few of the Rebirth of Mothra movie between then and 2004, when Final Wars came out, which I saw at G-Fest.I can't remember how I managed to get a hold of some of the Mothra films but I remember them being especially hard to find, along with Godzilla vs The Smog Monster. I managed to get most of the Millennium films on Region 0 DVD somehow, probably from some sketchy site. I remember watching GxMG on a VCD.

Now that I think about it, I think it took me a while to find Gamera 2 + 3 on DVD as well. I didn't see them for years after seeing GFW.

Silent.Séance
Ronin

Post by Silent.Séance »

My first experience with Godzilla was Ghidrah the Three Headed monster. I must have been around 4 years old. It was the late 80’s and I had a serious obsession with dinosaurs (like most kids at that time). I was hooked on cartoons like Dinosaucers, Dino-riders, and Denver the last Dinosaur. Lucky for me, my mother also had an obsession but she loved old monster movies. She’d always record things like Creature from the Black Lagoon and the Mummy. On one particularly hot summer day (to hot to be outside for long) she was just sitting down to watch one of her tapes. It was from TBS’s Super Scary Saturday, then I heard the familiar voice of Grandpa Munster describing one of the coolest sounding movies my 4 year old self could imagine. I was star struck as soon as I saw the Big G rise out of the ocean destroy the ship and watch Rodan soar by. After that I could not get enough. Shortly after my mother would come home on certain days and Surprise me with new Godzilla VHS tapes. I’d look forward to going to video stores more than anywhere hoping to find a new gem for my collection or even coming across one on TV. Which was my overall experience until after Godzilla 2000 when DVDs became the standard.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Godzilla (1954) - On some website that I don't remember. Same goes for the U.S. version.
Godzilla Raids Again - At a different website that streams movies.
King Kong vs Godzilla - I think the full U.S. version was on YouTube around a decade ago.
Godzilla vs The Thing - On the same website that I first watched Godzilla (1954).
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster - Same as above.
Monster Zero - Same as above.
Godzilla vs The Sea Monster - Rented it from Hollywood Video.
Son of Godzilla - Same as above.
Destroy All Monsters - Watched it on some other website.
Godzilla's Revenge - On the same website that I first watched Godzilla (1954).
Godzilla vs Hedorah - Rented it from Hollywood Video.
Godzilla vs Gigan - Rented it from Blockbuster Video. This was the second Godzilla movie I watched.
Godzilla vs Megalon - Full movie was on YouTube .
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla - Rented it from Hollywood Video.
Terror of Mechagodzilla - Watched in on the same website as Godzilla Raids Again.
Godzilla 1985 - Full movie was on YouTube.
Godzilla vs Biollante - My dad bought me the Echo Bridge DVD in 2012.
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah - On a Godzilla marathon in that was going on TV in Independence Day 2007.
Godzilla vs Mothra - Was playing on TV on a random night around ten years ago.
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II - On a Godzilla marathon in that was going on TV in Independence Day 2007.
Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla - On a Godzilla marathon in that was going on TV in Independence Day 2007.
Godzilla vs Destoroyah - On a Godzilla marathon in that was going on TV in Independence Day 2007.
Godzilla (1998) - Was minding my own buisness when my mom called me over to her room. The movie was playing on TV and she thought I would be interested in it because I was REALLY into dinosaurs. This was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw.
Godzilla 2000 - Rented it from a video store in 2005. This was the fourth Godzilla movie I watched. I was around 6 or 7 and I REALLY didn't like it. But my opinion changed several years later.
Godzilla vs Megaguirus - Rented it from Hollywood Video.
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - Rented it from Hollywood Video.
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla - Rented it from Hollywood Video.
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S - Rented it from Blockbuster Video. This was the third Godzilla movie I watched.
Godzilla: Final Wars - Rented it from Hollywood Video.
Godzilla (2014) - Saw it on midnight showing, May 15th, 2014 with my friend, my mom and dad.
Shin Godzilla - Saw it at an independent movie theatre with my friend. It was a pain in the ass to get the tickets.
Godzilla: Planet of the Monster - On Netflix on the day of it's released.
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle - On Netflix on midnight right when it was released.
Godzilla: The Planet Eater - On Netflix on midnight right when it was released.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters - My local theatre decided to release the movie at around 8PM on May 30th. I watched it on IMAX with a full house, but I didn't bring anyone with me like with Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft