Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Worse human character out of any Kaiju film

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Ford Brody (Godzilla 2014)
0
No votes
Pteranodon guy (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2)
1
14%
Haruo Sakaki (Godzilla Anime)
4
57%
Dr. Stewart (War of the Gargantuas)
1
14%
Kennys (Showa Era Child characters)
0
No votes
Chujo (Tokyo SOS)
0
No votes
Other (If other, please specify who)
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Zarm » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Wow. I am definitely getting the read that you are not a fan of that cast. :)

I mean, I'm not gonna but them in the top 5... but I'd easily put them over a good third of the canon, including about half the Heisei films, a good third of Showa, and Shin Godzilla, for enjoyable/interesting characters.

Then again, I think a lot depends on the definition of 'worst' or 'good' being used here. For me, the Megalon cast, being ciphers, are unwatchable, dull, and frustratingly... well, ciper-ish. Whereas the cast of Final Wars are over-the-top (and the dubbed versions are a bit too whiny), but they're entertaining to watch. So I'm defining 'good' as 'entertaining' and 'worst' as 'dullest/least engaging,' rather than any literary standard or standard of development-level.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Zarm wrote:Wow. I am definitely getting the read that you are not a fan of that cast. :)

I mean, I'm not gonna but them in the top 5... but I'd easily put them over a good third of the canon, including about half the Heisei films, a good third of Showa, and Shin Godzilla, for enjoyable/interesting characters.

Then again, I think a lot depends on the definition of 'worst' or 'good' being used here. For me, the Megalon cast, being ciphers, are unwatchable, dull, and frustratingly... well, ciper-ish. Whereas the cast of Final Wars are over-the-top (and the dubbed versions are a bit too whiny), but they're entertaining to watch. So I'm defining 'good' as 'entertaining' and 'worst' as 'dullest/least engaging,' rather than any literary standard or standard of development-level.


Yeah, ditto this big time. GFW is not really a ‘film’ so much as it is a show at the laser bowl. I always think of GFW as like an episode of Danger 5 but done with sincerity.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5538
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby LegendZilla » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Why would Chujo be added?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby eabaker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Zarm wrote:Wow. I am definitely getting the read that you are not a fan of that cast. :)

I mean, I'm not gonna but them in the top 5... but I'd easily put them over a good third of the canon, including about half the Heisei films, a good third of Showa, and Shin Godzilla, for enjoyable/interesting characters.

Then again, I think a lot depends on the definition of 'worst' or 'good' being used here. For me, the Megalon cast, being ciphers, are unwatchable, dull, and frustratingly... well, ciper-ish. Whereas the cast of Final Wars are over-the-top (and the dubbed versions are a bit too whiny), but they're entertaining to watch. So I'm defining 'good' as 'entertaining' and 'worst' as 'dullest/least engaging,' rather than any literary standard or standard of development-level.


And for me, they're not entertaining to watch; they're completely grating, as is almost every aspect of the movie.

I for sure get what you're saying, though. I do, after all, rank the grating quality of Final Wars as a whole over the complete blandness of Tokyo SOS. But since I can barely remember any specific elements of Tokyo SOS (even when watching the movie, I feel like I often can't really remember what just happened from moment to moment), I can't single any of them out as "worst" of their categories.

Added in 35 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote:Why would Chujo be added?


Plus, there are multiple characters named Chujo in Toyko SOS.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Zarm » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:29 pm

eabaker wrote:And for me, they're not entertaining to watch; they're completely grating, as is almost every aspect of the movie.


I completely get what you're saying. And after all the discussions we've had on various media properties, obviously, I, of all people, have no right to be grudge someone an absolute and personal loathing of a film or character. ;)


eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Why would Chujo be added?


Plus, there are multiple characters named Chujo in Toyko SOS.


I was wondering about that. My first instinct was to question the use of that name. In this case, I'm fairly certain most people are referring to the mechanic protagonist- and for the reason that he is perceived as somewhat bland and lacking in any memorable characteristics. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby eabaker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Why has this poll ended, when there's still active discussion about who should even be included on it?

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bum from RoG. I like the character well enough, but a lot of people do seem to despise him.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:25 pm

eabaker wrote:Why has this poll ended, when there's still active discussion about who should even be included on it?

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bum from RoG. I like the character well enough, but a lot of people do seem to despise him.


Anyone who despises the bum is objectively wrong and I shall fight them to the ends of the earth. The ends of the earth i say!!!
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Zarm » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:27 pm

eabaker wrote:Why has this poll ended, when there's still active discussion about who should even be included on it?

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bum from RoG. I like the character well enough, but a lot of people do seem to despise him.


Really? I actually overlooked Return of Godzilla, because well I don't find any of the characters specifically engaging, most of them are at least well-sketched enough that I wouldn't put them on this list. In my bottom percentile of characters, but not really the worst. Neither the blandest, nor the most cypher-ish.

But the bum? The bum's like the best part of the film! How could anybody not like the bum? (Then again I would have said that about Captain Gordon, too, so...)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I mean I feel like we just don’t have much of a consensus of who all the contenders for this poll would be. Really, this list is not complete unless you put every single human character on it, which would be a gargantuan task.
Image

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Gojira18 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:52 pm

A tie between Ford and Haruo. Ford for being so bland and forgettable and Haruo for being so obnoxious and one dimensional.

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Ford vs Haruo: Let Them Flop

Postby Gojira18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm

From what I've heard throughout the fandom, the two most despised human characters in the Godzilla franchise are ironically some of the most recent. We have Ford Brody from Godzilla 2014, who's hated for being as boring as a plank of wood, and Haruo Sakaki from the new Godzilla Anime Trilogy, who is hated for being one dimensional and his only personality trait is his hatred for Godzilla. I want to know who YOU think is worse. I honestly think Haruo is SLIGHTLY worse because at least Ford didn't annoy me to death. Help yourselves and let me know!

User avatar
KillCrites
Interpol Agent
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Ford vs Haruo: Let Them Flop

Postby KillCrites » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Haruo is actually a good character so...
why did i have to be the chosen one?

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Ford vs Haruo: Let Them Flop

Postby Zarm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Edit: Grumpy response removed. I find neither to be a bad character.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Ford vs Haruo: Let Them Flop

Postby KaijuCanuck » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Well THIS is going to be a considerate and entirely civil discussion. :roll:
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14032
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm

I don't think Ford is nearly as bad as some people make him out to be. He's not the most interesting or engaging, but he is a pretty good "self-insert" character that the audience can use to become more engaged to the events of the movie. ATJ also has little moments that round Ford out more (example: when he's talking to Elle on the phone, he grimaces when she begins to ramble, as if he's holding back tears).

Haruo started out as an irritating protagonist in movie 1 and then quickly devolved into an extremely boring one in movie 2. He gets my vote for "worst", even if I don't think he's the worst character ever in the franchise.
Image

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Gojira18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:I don't think Ford is nearly as bad as some people make him out to be. He's not the most interesting or engaging, but he is a pretty good "self-insert" character that the audience can use to become more engaged to the events of the movie. ATJ also has little moments that round Ford out more (example: when he's talking to Elle on the phone, he grimaces when she begins to ramble, as if he's holding back tears).

That's where my biggest gripe with Ford is with. He shows a lot of potential to be a compelling character, especially in the first half hour until Joe dies, but after that, it's like they just stopped fleshing his character out altogether. That's not good storytelling.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Grievous » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:51 am

Hajime Kudo from Godzilla vs. Megaguirus...

Every time I see his face I just want to punch it!
& quit stalking/harassing Tsujimori you creeper!
Take the hint! She isn't in to you!

I swear they should have fired the Dimension Tide
at his annoying face!

Oh...

That was a fun little rant...but seriously that guy
pisses me off.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Maritonic » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:55 am

No, I have to agree; he was really creepy about the Major. Especially making that computer character modeled after her?

Then again, I think that whole film is a train wreck haha so it's not like it's a fly in a fine soup.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Grievous » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:58 am

Maritonic wrote:No, I have to agree; he was really creepy about the Major. Especially making that computer character modeled after her?

Then again, I think that whole film is a train wreck haha so it's not like it's a fly in a fine soup.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me...
I was waiting for him to walk into a scene
holding a custom made Tsujimori body
pillow.

So...he's like a fly in a bowl of fly soup?
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Maritonic » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:59 am

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:No, I have to agree; he was really creepy about the Major. Especially making that computer character modeled after her?

Then again, I think that whole film is a train wreck haha so it's not like it's a fly in a fine soup.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me...
I was waiting for him to walk into a scene
holding a custom made Tsujimori body
pillow.

So...he's like a fly in a bowl of fly soup?


I was thinking more of a fly on a pile of crap haha, but sure that works too!

I could absolutely see him making a body pillow.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests