Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Worse human character out of any Kaiju film

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Ford Brody (Godzilla 2014)
0
No votes
Pteranodon guy (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2)
1
14%
Haruo Sakaki (Godzilla Anime)
4
57%
Dr. Stewart (War of the Gargantuas)
1
14%
Kennys (Showa Era Child characters)
0
No votes
Chujo (Tokyo SOS)
0
No votes
Other (If other, please specify who)
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2328
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby Dv-218 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm

While Ford is boring, he's just that. Boring. I don't care about him either way, he's just a bland character. I wish they would have written an actual lead, but he doesn't annoy me as much as he bores the hell out of me.

Haruo however might be the first Godzilla character that I truly can't stand. His terribly written "been there done that" motivation, obnoxious and whiny behavior, clichè anime boy angst and his selfish revenge driven agenda make me roll my eyes every time I watch both films.

Not to mention, his careless suicide actions caused as much deaths as Godzilla did. And yet we're supposed to root for the skreeonker.
COTEOB sorta redeemed him with his self realization, but it still doesn't excuse all of the poop he commited.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10796
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby eabaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Maritonic wrote:I definitely thought this was limited to Godzilla. Just gonna say that I really can't skreeonking stand that weird guy in Gamera 3 that laughs awkwardly as all hell and says "this is so scary!" as rubble falls on him. Can't remember his name. But good LORD does that guy really knock that film down a peg or two for me.


Really? I absolutely love Kurata! but I'm a sucker for slightly fey villains.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5779
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Maritonic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:00 pm

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I definitely thought this was limited to Godzilla. Just gonna say that I really can't skreeonking stand that weird guy in Gamera 3 that laughs awkwardly as all hell and says "this is so scary!" as rubble falls on him. Can't remember his name. But good LORD does that guy really knock that film down a peg or two for me.


Really? I absolutely love Kurata! but I'm a sucker for slightly fey villains.


To be entirely fair, I've only been exposed to the dubbed version; the Gamera 3 blu-ray I have is one of those defective ones that doesn't have proper English subtitles for the Japanese audio. Being someone who R E A L L Y has a hard time with dubbed voices as it is, that doesn't help the cause.

I dig his whole...vibe. Like when he stands off in a corner and says something dark and cryptic. But GOD that scene just...ugh. If I heard the actual Japanese voice track, it might change my mind? I'm not sure.

Maybe I just hate his Dub Voice Actor :lol:
Resized Image

Earn Your Health.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10796
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby eabaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I definitely thought this was limited to Godzilla. Just gonna say that I really can't skreeonking stand that weird guy in Gamera 3 that laughs awkwardly as all hell and says "this is so scary!" as rubble falls on him. Can't remember his name. But good LORD does that guy really knock that film down a peg or two for me.


Really? I absolutely love Kurata! but I'm a sucker for slightly fey villains.


To be entirely fair, I've only been exposed to the dubbed version; the Gamera 3 blu-ray I have is one of those defective ones that doesn't have proper English subtitles for the Japanese audio. Being someone who R E A L L Y has a hard time with dubbed voices as it is, that doesn't help the cause.

I dig his whole...vibe. Like when he stands off in a corner and says something dark and cryptic. But GOD that scene just...ugh. If I heard the actual Japanese voice track, it might change my mind? I'm not sure.

Maybe I just hate his Dub Voice Actor :lol:


I've never even seen the dubs for GII or GIII, but I haven't heard especially good things...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5380
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Ford Brody. He's so bland that we can't make any jokes about him, he's just there. At least we can make fun of Harou and the pterodactyl skreeonker :lol:

Dv-218 wrote:
Not to mention, his careless suicide actions caused as much deaths as Godzilla did. And yet we're supposed to root for the skreeonker.
COTEOB sorta redeemed him with his self realization, but it still doesn't excuse all of the poop he commited.

I think that was intentional in the first film, the careless suicide actions. He's a soldier, and in tough times the people we're supposed to root for can't always "be clean". When I say it's intentional, well the anime isn't exactly keen on showing mankind in a positive light. Ya know, getting skreeonked by deus ex machina after deus ex machina :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13533
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 pm

You know you can edit your original thread to add a poll, right?

Added in 54 seconds:
Anyway, it's a hard choice between Stewart purely for his performance or Haruo for being just an all-around terribly written character.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5407
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 pm

The choices should've been more diverse.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10796
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby eabaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm

LegendZilla wrote:The choices should've been more diverse.


Agreed.

At the very least, the absence of Captain Gordon is astonishing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5407
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:38 pm

eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:The choices should've been more diverse.


Agreed.

At the very least, the absence of Captain Gordon is astonishing.


Or Ichiro.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4807
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby Zarm » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Seriously? Heisei and Millenium were filled with far worse protagonists. Even, rarely, Showa.

You people and your hate-on for Ford Brody... :roll:
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
MrGoji1999
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Location: Lima, Perú

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby MrGoji1999 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:00 pm

There should be more choices, but between the choices we have for now, Ford may be dull and uninteresting but he never annoyed me, I was glad that he got his happy ending so we can have a more compelling lead in the sequel, Pteranodon Guy was annoying but I don´t have too memories of him, maybe I have to rewatch GvsMG II to have a clear opinion about him.

For me, this is easily a draw between Stewart and Haruo. On one hand, Stewart had an actor who did a very awful, uninterested perfomance, while Haruo is just an terribly written character, with the typical angsty, "grudge against someone" stereotype character that just irks every time he talks.
Last edited by MrGoji1999 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm

LegendZilla wrote:
Or Ichiro.


What's bad about him?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby KaijuCanuck » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:32 pm

For the record, Pteranodon Guy’s name is Aoki and he’s just fine...
Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10796
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby eabaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:For the record, Pteranodon Guy’s name is Aoki and he’s just fine...


Yeah, whatever problems I have with that movie, Aoki is not one of them. I actually seem to remember him being a fairly well-regarded character among fans at the time of the movie's release.

Captain Gordon gets my vote. Easily.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13533
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:45 pm

eabaker wrote:
Captain Gordon gets my vote. Easily.


Out of any kaiju film? I'm sorry but that's a heavy, heavy "no way" from me.
Image

User avatar
MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2183
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: albaquarky
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby MaxRebo320 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:47 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Captain Gordon gets my vote. Easily.


Out of any kaiju film? I'm sorry but that's a heavy, heavy "no way" from me.

Don Fry himself is a POS (Likewise Robert Scott), but I enjoy Gordon. I think he suits the movie he's in just fine.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13533
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Captain Gordon gets my vote. Easily.


Out of any kaiju film? I'm sorry but that's a heavy, heavy "no way" from me.

Don Fry himself is a POS (Likewise Robert Scott), but I enjoy Gordon. I think he suits the movie he's in just fine.


That's shocking. They were really friendly when I talked to them both at G-FEST this year (both outside their panels/autograph sessions). Guess we've had different experiences, then. :|
Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10796
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby eabaker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Captain Gordon gets my vote. Easily.


Out of any kaiju film? I'm sorry but that's a heavy, heavy "no way" from me.


Okay.

I can't think of another character/actor in the genre who plays such a major role, and - for me - so completely ruins any scene he's a part of.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
NSZ
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Remnant

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby NSZ » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:06 pm

All of these replies and only one person mentioned Toshio from the first Gamera film?

That kid's an unlikable nutjob with no redeeming qualities at all. He's either gonna become an axe murderer who wears people's faces as Halloween masks when he grows up, or he's gonna become best friends with a padded cell. Nothing good can come from a kid that seriously thinks their tiny-ass turtle they just released into the wild Ultraman'd into a giant fire-breathing/eating monster.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."
Image

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 pm

NSZ wrote:All of these replies and only one person mentioned Toshio from the first Gamera film?

That kid's an unlikable nutjob with no redeeming qualities at all. He's either gonna become an axe murderer who wears people's faces as Halloween masks when he grows up, or he's gonna become best friends with a padded cell. Nothing good can come from a kid that seriously thinks their tiny-ass turtle they just released into the wild Ultraman'd into a giant fire-breathing/eating monster.


Yeah. That kid really tanked any enjoyment I might have gotten out of the otherwise dull movie.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:





Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests