Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Worse human character out of any Kaiju film

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Ford Brody (Godzilla 2014)
No votes
Pteranodon guy (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2)
14%
Haruo Sakaki (Godzilla Anime)
57%
Dr. Stewart (War of the Gargantuas)
14%
Kennys (Showa Era Child characters)
No votes
Chujo (Tokyo SOS)
No votes
Other (If other, please specify who)
14%

Total votes: 7

Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Post by Dv-218 »

I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but i'll definitely say Haruo. There have been many bad or not-so-good characters in the franchise (Heisei especially comes into mind), but honestly none of them managed to anger me more than that obnoxious little sh*thead. He's literally every angsty teenage anime boy clichè ever made combined with the tired plot of the "grudge against Godzilla"- and even then, it was done better in GMK and GxMG. Fuck, even Tsujimori from GxM was more bearable.
His constant rants and whinings about every damn thing are insuffarable, and his careless and often selfish revenge driven actions lead to catastrophic results and heavy losses of life- at some points i'm actually ROOTING for Godzilla to finally finish him. COTEOB somewhat redeems him, but not by a wide margin.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:12 am, edited 6 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I don't know if she's the worst, but Emi Kano from Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah is definitely the dumbest.

Okay, so she goes along with the time travelers' plans to eliminate Godzilla from history and replace him with King Ghidorah. She even has a direct hand in creating King Ghidorah. She also knows full well that the intent is to stop Japan from becoming the world's greatest economic superpower in the future. Yet SOMEHOW, she seems completely surprised that King Ghidorah is being used to destroy 1992 Japan. Uh, Emi, what did you think was going to happen?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GojiDog wrote:I don't know if she's the worst, but Emi Kano from Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah is definitely the dumbest.

Okay, so she goes along with the time travelers' plans to eliminate Godzilla from history and replace him with King Ghidorah. She even has a direct hand in creating King Ghidorah. She also knows full well that the intent is to stop Japan from becoming the world's greatest economic superpower in the future. Yet SOMEHOW, she seems completely surprised that King Ghidorah is being used to destroy 1992 Japan. Uh, Emi, what did you think was going to happen?
This is honestly something that bothered me since I watched the movie. I mean, why the hell did she think that the futurians told her to leave her 3 bat pets on the same bloody island where Godzilla was created during a nuclear blast?

Either she is really that oblivious, or she knew and tried to cover up her regret at what she did by saying that she did not know it'll happen that way- which actually makes the entire thing even worse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dv-218 wrote:
GojiDog wrote:I don't know if she's the worst, but Emi Kano from Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah is definitely the dumbest.

This is honestly something that bothered me since I watched the movie. I mean, why the hell did she think that the futurians told her to leave her 3 bat pets on the same bloody island where Godzilla was created during a nuclear blast?

Either she is really that oblivious, or she knew and tried to cover up her regret at what she did by saying that she did not know it'll happen that way- which actually makes the entire thing even worse.
She naively believes that Ghidorah is going to be used only as a threat, not fully deployed. A "weapon of peace," as it were.

A lot of people believed similar things about nuclear weapons during the Cold War.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

So why do people hate Akane anyway?

I always thought she was one of the strongest characters in the entire series.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

eabaker wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

She naively believes that Ghidorah is going to be used only as a threat, not fully deployed. A "weapon of peace," as it were.

A lot of people believed similar things about nuclear weapons during the Cold War.
That makes sense, especially with the whole cold war thematic the 2 films before were going for. Still kinda naive of her, but atleast she tried to correct her mistake after.

Added in 11 minutes 10 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:So why do people hate Akane anyway?

I always thought she was one of the strongest characters in the entire series.
I always tought she was one of the better done "Grudge against Godzilla" type characters. I'd even go as far as to say she's probably one of the better developed characters in the Millenium series. Her arc as Kiryu's pilot was rather nicely done, and you can actually see how her guilt affects her in the movie.
And she's definitely more likable than "discount Eren Jaeger" Sakaki :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I don’t hate Akane, I just find her character uninteresting in execution. I find GxMG overrated in general.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I don’t hate Akane, I just find her character uninteresting in execution. I find GxMG overrated in general.
Agreed. On paper the character is an interesting and potentially very compelling protagonist; in action, she's one more bland part of a bland whole.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I don’t hate Akane, I just find her character uninteresting in execution. I find GxMG overrated in general.
Agreed. On paper the character is an interesting and potentially very compelling protagonist; in action, she's one more bland part of a bland whole.
Ahhh, when you agree with me I feel so smart and secure in my position. How tragic that I now have to admit I think Tokyo SOS is the much superior film, and even a good film that I enjoy quite a lot, one of the reasons being I find the main character interesting and compelling.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Ahhh, when you agree with me I feel so smart and secure in my position. How tragic that I now have to admit I think Tokyo SOS is the much superior film, and even a good film that I enjoy quite a lot, one of the reasons being I find the main character interesting and compelling.
Who are you classifying as the main character in Tokyo SOS?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
The mechanic dude who loves machines. Is there another answer?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
I figured either him or the new Kiryu pilot.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
No, I don’t think the new pilot has much of a role at all, I can’t even picture his face. The mechanic is featured throughout the whole movie and has a real effective role to play in the climax, plus an emotional connection to Kiryu.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
No, I don’t think the new pilot has much of a role at all, I can’t even picture his face. The mechanic is featured throughout the whole movie and has a real effective role to play in the climax, plus an emotional connection to Kiryu.
Wait, isn't the new pilot a woman? In my memory they basically just slotted in a replacement Akane.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Wait, isn't the new pilot a woman? In my memory they basically just slotted in a replacement Akane.
Pretty sure it was a dude? But Akane is in the movie as a side character.

I haven’t watched it in a few years, to be honest.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I think Yumiko Shaku does a serviceable job as Akane, and I wouldn't call her unlikable (Especially when compared to dudes like Dr. Stewart or fucking Haruo), but there is a real "been there, done that" vibe to her.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I haven't seen GvMG2 in a long while but I recall finding the guy who wants to fuck dinosaurs pretty unbearable. Yoshito "I Told You Not To Call Me Uncle" Chujo from Tokyo S.O.S. was pretty fuckin bland as well and definitely a step down from Akane, and Tsukioka from GRA is one of the most forgettable protagonists I've seen in literally anything.

Also, although I didn't like Haruo in POTM, COTEOB made me actually start to like him a bit. I felt they definitely made him more interesting in that film.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Post by Godzillander »

After seeing the response to my earlier post, I noticed some common denominators over who you considered to be the most lackluster character. Therefore, this poll will determine who is truly the worst human character in a Toho property.
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Post by Maritonic »

Oh...WOW this is hard between Ford and Haruo...

Added in 48 seconds:
Actually, Haruo had two films to be a good, interesting character. Ford had one. On that basis, I'm saying Haruo fails twice, so he's getting my vote.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I definitely thought this was limited to Godzilla. Just gonna say that I really can't fucking stand that weird guy in Gamera 3 that laughs awkwardly as all hell and says "this is so scary!" as rubble falls on him. Can't remember his name. But good LORD does that guy really knock that film down a peg or two for me.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.