Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10578
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby eabaker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:2000s: Godzilla 2000 (the version I prefer come out in 2000, even if the original was in '99)


Isn't the year 2000 the last year of the 90s, rather than the first year of the 2000s? There was no year 0, so each decade starts with _1 and ends with _0.


Well no, because it counts as part of the decade. 2000-2009 is ten different years (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) just as 1990-1999 is and so on.


Well, yes, any span of ten consecutive years is a decade. 1975-1984 is a decade, as well. But when we're discussing the broad strokes of history, we typically use BC/AD (of BCE/CE, if you prefer), starting at the years -1 and 1, respectively. Thus, 0001-0010 is the first decade of AD/CE.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Online
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13132
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:58 am

But clearly nobody here is using that so I'm not really sure where the confusion stems from. :eh:

1950's - 1954 + 1955
1960's - 1962 - 1969
1970's - 1971 - 1975
1980's - 1984 + 1989
1990's - 1991 - 1999
2000's - 2000 - 2004
2010's - 2014 - Current
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Zarm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:02 am

UltramanGoji wrote:But clearly nobody here is using that so I'm not really sure where the confusion stems from. :eh:

1950's - 1954 + 1955
1960's - 1962 - 1969
1970's - 1971 - 1975
1980's - 1984 + 1989
1990's - 1991 - 1999
2000's - 2000 - 2004
2010's - 2014 - Current


I figured the 60s included '61 for Mothra.

Added in 3 minutes 30 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:2000s: Godzilla 2000 (the version I prefer come out in 2000, even if the original was in '99)


Isn't the year 2000 the last year of the 90s, rather than the first year of the 2000s? There was no year 0, so each decade starts with _1 and ends with _0.


I suppose, technically. Intuitively, that always feels wrong. But when just talking about the films by 'era' (rather than decade), I guess it just made sense to me that these were arbitrary periods that related more to the numbered prefix of the year. :)

Adjusted by actual decade, this would become:

50s: Gojira
60s: Ebirah (though dang is that a tough choice; Son of and Mothra vs. are both incredibly close contenders)
70s: Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla
80s: vs. Biollante
90s: Godzilla 2000 (see how weird it looks to type that? ;) )
00s: Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
10s: Godzilla (2014)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:07 am

1994-2004 is the decade Godzilla 2000 comes from.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Online
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13132
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:07 am

Zarm wrote:I figured the 60s included '61 for Mothra.


It's not a Godzilla movie.
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Zarm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:19 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
Zarm wrote:I figured the 60s included '61 for Mothra.


It's not a Godzilla movie.


I always kinda figured it was retconned in as part of the 'Godzilla expanded universe' (with Rodan and Mothra becoming prominent characters), in a way that other Toho kaiju movies weren't. Though I admit that logic gets fuzzy when you look at King Kong Escapes, Atragon, etc. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Online
User avatar
Dv-218
Futurian
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Dv-218 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 am

"Mothra" and "Rodan" are most likely in the same universe as the Showa Godzilla movies, though I usually don't see them being considered Godzilla movies- in a similar manner to how KSI is in the same universe as Legendary Godzilla, but it's not a Godzilla movie itself.

"Rodan" is defenitely my 2nd favorite 50's kaiju movie after Godzilla, but i'll admit that I never actually saw "Mothra" lol. I guess I have some watching to do :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
KillCrites
Interpol Agent
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby KillCrites » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:47 am

Dv-218 wrote:"Rodan" is definitely my 2nd favorite 50's kaiju movie after Godzilla, but i'll admit that I never actually saw "Mothra" lol. I guess I have some watching to do :lol:

I don't think Mothra is as strong a film as Godzilla or Rodan but it's still pretty good. Check it out when you can.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Online
User avatar
Dv-218
Futurian
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Dv-218 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 am

KillCrites wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:"Rodan" is definitely my 2nd favorite 50's kaiju movie after Godzilla, but i'll admit that I never actually saw "Mothra" lol. I guess I have some watching to do :lol:

I don't think Mothra is as strong a film as Godzilla or Rodan but it's still pretty good. Check it out when you can.


Cool, thanks for the recommendation :)

Just out of interest, was there ever any official confirmation from Toho that "Rodan", "Varan" and "Mothra" take place in the same universe as 1954/Showa Godzilla series?
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Zarm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:07 am

Dv-218 wrote:"Mothra" and "Rodan" are most likely in the same universe as the Showa Godzilla movies, though I usually don't see them being considered Godzilla movies- in a similar manner to how KSI is in the same universe as Legendary Godzilla, but it's not a Godzilla movie itself.

"Rodan" is defenitely my 2nd favorite 50's kaiju movie after Godzilla, but i'll admit that I never actually saw "Mothra" lol. I guess I have some watching to do :lol:


I seem to be in the minority, but I think Mothra blows the pants off anything in the series between the original, and Mothra vs. Godzilla, so I highly recommend it. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Online
User avatar
Dv-218
Futurian
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Dv-218 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:16 am

Zarm wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:"Mothra" and "Rodan" are most likely in the same universe as the Showa Godzilla movies, though I usually don't see them being considered Godzilla movies- in a similar manner to how KSI is in the same universe as Legendary Godzilla, but it's not a Godzilla movie itself.

"Rodan" is defenitely my 2nd favorite 50's kaiju movie after Godzilla, but i'll admit that I never actually saw "Mothra" lol. I guess I have some watching to do :lol:


I seem to be in the minority, but I think Mothra blows the pants off anything in the series between the original, and Mothra vs. Godzilla, so I highly recommend it. :)


Whoa, now THAT is something I never heard before. I'll defenitely check it out to see for myself :)

User avatar
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 8809
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:18 am

60s - Son of Godzilla
70s - Terror of Mechagodzilla
80s - Godzilla 1985
90s - Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
2000s - GMK
2010s - Shin (for now, could possibly change next year)
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

Online
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13132
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:00 am

Zarm wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Zarm wrote:I figured the 60s included '61 for Mothra.


It's not a Godzilla movie.


I always kinda figured it was retconned in as part of the 'Godzilla expanded universe' (with Rodan and Mothra becoming prominent characters), in a way that other Toho kaiju movies weren't. Though I admit that logic gets fuzzy when you look at King Kong Escapes, Atragon, etc. :)


I agree it’s kind of a Godzilla movie retroactively, but for the purpose of the thread it’s best to exclude it.

Unless someone wants to start doing “Favorite Non-Godzilla Toho SFX Movies of Each Era”, though I guess by 1970 onwards, it’s down to one or two movies. :)
Image

User avatar
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 am
Location: USA

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Mecha-SpaceGhidorah » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 am

50s Gojira
60s Invasion of Astro-Monster
70s Godzilla vs. Hedorah or Terror of Mechagodzilla (probably tied, with one or the other taking precedence based on my mood at any given time)
80s Godzilla vs. Biolante
90s Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
00s Godzilla 2000
10s Shin Godzilla
Image
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
    ~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10578
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby eabaker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:49 am

Dv-218 wrote:
Zarm wrote:I seem to be in the minority, but I think Mothra blows the pants off anything in the series between the original, and Mothra vs. Godzilla, so I highly recommend it. :)


Whoa, now THAT is something I never heard before. I'll defenitely check it out to see for myself :)


I'll pretty much join Zarm in this one. Mothra is easily my favorite non-Godzilla Showa-era kaiju movie (followed by Rodan and Frankenstein Conquers the World), and ranks above most individual G flicks as well. It's a lovely story with engaging characters (I even like the trio of leads here more than the semi-recycled version in Mothra vs. Godzilla), beautiful photography and effects, and a wonderful score by Yuji Koseki.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3479
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Dr. Professor » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:49 pm

60s- Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
70s- Terror of MechaGodzilla
80s- Godzilla vs. Biollante
90s- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
00s- Godzilla 2000
10s- Shin Godzilla

Runners up:
60s- Mothra vs. Godzilla
70s- Godzilla vs. Hedorah
90s- Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
00s- Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
10s- Godzilla
Resized Image

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2174
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm

50s: Godzilla
60s: Mothra vs Godzilla
70s: Godzilla vs Hedorah
80s: Godzilla vs Biollante
90s: Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
2000s: Godzilla 2000 TriStar cut
2010s: Shin Godzilla
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:13 pm

50s: Gojira
60s: Mothra vs Godzilla (the 60s are overall flawless for me)
70s: Terror of Mechagodzilla (mostly since it's my favorite movie of all time and my first Godziller film, all the other 70s films are pretty good too)
80s: Return of Godzilla
90s: Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
00s: GMK
Current: For now, Shin Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby kamilleblu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Current: For now, Shin Godzilla.

Only KOTM (2019) and The Planet Eater are left to dispute it for this decade. How are you feeling about them?

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:36 pm

kamilleblu wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Current: For now, Shin Godzilla.

Only KOTM (2019) and The Planet Eater are left to dispute it for this decade. How are you feeling about them?

Really hyped for both of them for what they have to offer individually. KOTM will most likely provide a "funner" time while The Planet Eater will probably have a better theme and story.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests