Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Conformist populist. I bet you don’t even watch movies, do you?
I just read the synopses on the backs of the boxes... :oops:
The back of the boxes or do you just read the IMDB reviews? Come on, you're among friends...
I think what he really does is go on Rotten Tomatoes, and the score just becomes his exact position on the film.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I just read the synopses on the backs of the boxes... :oops:
The back of the boxes or do you just read the IMDB reviews? Come on, you're among friends...
I think what he really does is go on Rotten Tomatoes, and the score just becomes his exact position on the film.
No, no, not present tense read ("reed"), past tense read ("red"). At Tower Records. VHS boxes. This was the early-to-mid-90s.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
No, no, not present tense read ("reed"), past tense read ("red"). At Tower Records. VHS boxes. This was the early-to-mid-90s.
Wait what? Are we being serious now?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Totally serious. All of my opinions on these movies are based on my vague memories of descriptions I read a quarter century ago. That is why I never have anything to say about any movies post-Biollante.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Totally serious. All of my opinions on these movies are based on my vague memories of descriptions I read a quarter century ago. That is why I never have anything to say about any movies post-Biollante.
Ah, it all makes sense now. Clearly if you had seen Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, you would recognizance it for the masterpiece it truly is.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

*Brekaing free of the labcoated men, Zarm lunges again, and is caught and restrained mere inches form KaijuCanuck*
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:*Brekaing free of the labcoated men, Zarm lunges again, and is caught and restrained mere inches form KaijuCanuck*
My god, he’s able to seamlessly move through topics! My trolling has only made him more powerful!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Nah GvMGII is for amateurs, it is the hidden philosophical brilliance of GvSG that only the most proffesional of movie experts can decode :lol:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dv-218 wrote:Nah GvMGII is for amateurs, it is the hidden philosophical brilliance of GvSG that only the most proffesional of movie experts can decode :lol:
I belive, when properly decoded through the lens of Freudian film theory, that Spacegodzilla is actually a metaphor for the deep-seated fear of one’s own inner evil, and it’s raw, elemental desire to lash out at your loved ones and immediate family.

It’s also about how flying crystals are both rad and totally dope.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Nah GvMGII is for amateurs, it is the hidden philosophical brilliance of GvSG that only the most proffesional of movie experts can decode :lol:
I belive, when properly decoded through the lens of Freudian film theory, that Spacegodzilla is actually a metaphor for the deep-seated fear of one’s own inner evil, and it’s raw, elemental desire to lash out at your loved ones and immediate family.

It’s also about how flying crystals are siiiiick.
Whoa that's actually pretty deep lol.

Though it could also be argued that SG is a representation of Godzilla's own gluttony, being obese and having corn-candy like crystals on his shoulders- there is a reason Godzilla gets proggressively thiccer with each Heisei movie, it's all a meta commentary :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 1974, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla 2000, and if we're just lumping all the 2010s films together, Godzilla 2014.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzilla fans are a bunch of normies. /s

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KaijuCanuck wrote:

It’s also about how flying crystals are both rad and totally dope.
And man butts. Don't forget about man butts.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

We are all trying to. Very hard.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Honestly surprised Shin is beating out G14 as soundly as it is.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Honestly surprised Shin is beating out G14 as soundly as it is.
I'm not. Most people here hate LPG, and borderline worship Shin.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

KillCrites wrote:50s: Godzilla
60s: King Kong vs Godzilla
70s: Godzilla vs Hedorah
80s: Godzilla vs Biollante
90s: Godzilla 2000
2000s: GMK
2010s: Shin Godzilla
UPDATE:
60s: Son of Godzillla
2000s: Godzilla x Mechagodzilla
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Honestly surprised Shin is beating out G14 as soundly as it is.
I'm not. Most people here hate LPG, and borderline worship Shin.

That's an unfair and inacurate exageration, sir!

You need to remove the word 'borderline' and replace it with 'straight-up'. ;)

Added in 43 seconds:
KillCrites wrote:
KillCrites wrote:50s: Godzilla
60s: King Kong vs Godzilla
70s: Godzilla vs Hedorah
80s: Godzilla vs Biollante
90s: Godzilla 2000
2000s: GMK
2010s: Shin Godzilla
UPDATE:
60s: Son of Godzillla
2000s: Godzilla x Mechagodzilla
Your update shows excellent taste, good sir!
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Actually a majority love both G14 and Shin, they just like Shin better is all. Only a small percentage of us actually hate G14.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I love both movies equally- in some places I like Shin better, while in others G14 has a slight edge for me depending on specific things.
Personally I think Shin as a movie has a more thought provoking story and better drama (though the political aspect gets a little heavy at times), but Lgenedary Godzilla himself is probably my favorite incarnation of the character to come out in the 2010's.