If you had just one film...

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

If you had just one film...

Post by Zarm »

So, you're lost on that bizarre desert island that always appears in hypothetical questions, which somehow possesses all the necessities for living, including electricity and a DVD player, so that your only concern is how to entertain yourself. And you can only have one Godzilla film with you; the only Godzilla film you'll ever be able to watch for the foreseeable rest of your life. Which one would you pick? Does your favorite film have the rewatch value you'd need? Would a Shin or Hedorah- one of the artsy ones- be the best option so there are many layers to dissect? Or perhaps more of a guilty pleasure/popcorn flick entry, to get the brainless fun factor that would hopefully not diminish with familiarity?

Which would it be?
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: If you had just one film...

Post by Maritonic »

GMK. Easy.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

King Kong vs Godzilla for me, I find it endlessly entertaining.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Destroy all Monsters. Screw the haters.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. I will never tire of it.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Ok wow I guess I'll be the first to give the only correct answer which of course is G54.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Yes, I'd love nothing more than to watch a dark and grim film about the horrors of the atomic bomb forever until my dying days. :lol:
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Son of Godzilla. Its probably the only Godzilla film I could watch over and over again and not get tired of. Everything else would wear on me eventually.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Invasion of Astro-Monster
I just love that one. Especially if I have my edition with both the Japanese with English subtitles and the English dub (technically two DVDs). If not, the English dub: gotta love Nick Adams ham n' cheese.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The original. I could watch that movie daily. The drama, the performances, the photography, the effects, they're all just magnificent.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:The original. I could watch that movie daily. The drama, the performances, the photography, the effects, they're all just magnificent.
Why did I know you were going to go with the weighty, dramatic masterpiece, and not the fun popcorn schlock like the rest of us. Way to show us all up for the plebs we are, dude. :mad:

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

It’s a tough pick between Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster and Astro Monster.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Mothra vs Godzilla. It's the perfect literal and thematic clash between Mothra and Godzilla.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Mothra vs Godzilla. It's the perfect literal and thematic clash between Mothra and Godzilla.
Oh crap, forgot about this one. Okay, I’m changing my answer.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’d select Ghidrah but I could probably enjoy any one of the '60s films or the '70s "Fukuda trilogy" for the rest of my life. (OK, maybe not Megalon so much, although I do like it.)
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Godzilla: Final Wars

It's the most rewatchable and fun movie I've ever seen.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:The original. I could watch that movie daily. The drama, the performances, the photography, the effects, they're all just magnificent.
Why did I know you were going to go with the weighty, dramatic masterpiece, and not the fun popcorn schlock like the rest of us. Way to show us all up for the plebs we are, dude. :mad:
I mean, I think for me it was less a matter of "which one do I enjoy watching most" (which would really be something like a five-way tie), and more a matter of "which one would I not be able to tolerate never seeing again."

It would just be the most painful loss.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Godzilla: Final Wars

It's the most rewatchable and fun movie I've ever seen.
You're young, expand your horizons :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Ivo-goji wrote:Ok wow I guess I'll be the first to give the only correct answer which of course is G54.
Rodan 1956.

The OTHER only correct answer.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Living Corpse wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:Ok wow I guess I'll be the first to give the only correct answer which of course is G54.
Rodan 1956.

The OTHER only correct answer.
My non-Godzilla choice would be Mothra, but Rodan is a decent pick.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.