Any Official Material That States Kong Beat Godzilla In 1962?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Maritonic

Re: Any Official Material That States Kong Beat Godzilla In 1962?

Postby Maritonic » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:29 am

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:It's funny, because I don't think the OP was debating the point, just asking the most popular question in the Wikipedia era... "Source?" :)

But what source do you actually need other than what you see in the film? That was what my point was; do you need a source to know Ghidorah lost Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster?

No, and while I don't feel that the ending of this film is as clear-cut, I do understand the people saying it's just common sense. My point is, I think all the OP wants to know is, 'are there official sources that corroborate that, and if so, what are they?'. It's a research project to identify the sources and the history of the official position on the film, rather than a challenge.

Never said he was challenging; actually made a point to say he wasn't challenging it. I said I never understood why some members of the fandom like to, and for no legitimate reason. There are plenty of instances in this franchise where the film does not end with a kaiju death, especially in the Showa era, and they aren't called into question. But King Kong vs. Godzilla almost always is. I was making a comment about that, and how odd I find it.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Postby Chris55 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:It's funny, because I don't think the OP was debating the point, just asking the most popular question in the Wikipedia era... "Source?" :)

But what source do you actually need other than what you see in the film? That was what my point was; do you need a source to know Ghidorah lost Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster?

No, and while I don't feel that the ending of this film is as clear-cut, I do understand the people saying it's just common sense. My point is, I think all the OP wants to know is, 'are there official sources that corroborate that, and if so, what are they?'. It's a research project to identify the sources and the history of the official position on the film, rather than a challenge.

The CLOSEST thing I've seen to official is the book on Honda by Steve Ryfle and Ed G. (with Yuuko Honda-Yun) Page 190.
"The fight ends in apparent draw, then the monsters swim away..."

I'm not real sure about the brochure from back then since it seems to be a little hazy in the sense that it came from the marketing department and not from the film makers themselves.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Maritonic wrote:This is going to sound sarcastic and rude, but it's not meant to. Just clarifying because I know tone doesn't convey through text. So, seriously. Not meant sarcastic.

What about the fact that in the film, Kong emerges from the sea and Godzilla does not? Thus, he is victorious. It's always so interesting to me because no one ever argues that Ghidorah lost the fight in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and he just flew away. Same with Monster Zero. Ebirah swims away in Sea Monster, but does anyone dispute his defeat? Nope. But for some reason, it always comes up for King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Which is funny cause neither Godzilla or Rodan come back up at the end of Monster Zero. Godzilla is a sea monster so it makes sense if he doesn't come up but Rodan?

Added in 3 minutes 1 second:
Gerdzerl wrote:Having official supplementary material verify that Kong won is nice, but I thought the film itself made it decently clear that he won.

You can't reason with willfully ignorant.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:12 am

Living Corpse wrote:
Maritonic wrote:This is going to sound sarcastic and rude, but it's not meant to. Just clarifying because I know tone doesn't convey through text. So, seriously. Not meant sarcastic.

What about the fact that in the film, Kong emerges from the sea and Godzilla does not? Thus, he is victorious. It's always so interesting to me because no one ever argues that Ghidorah lost the fight in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and he just flew away. Same with Monster Zero. Ebirah swims away in Sea Monster, but does anyone dispute his defeat? Nope. But for some reason, it always comes up for King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Which is funny cause neither Godzilla or Rodan come back up at the end of Monster Zero. Godzilla is a sea monster so it makes sense if he doesn't come up but Rodan?

That's a good point, actually. Never even thought of that.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Off subject, Rodan has no problem with water. He purposely dove under the bridge to dodge the air force, and the flew out without any effort. I'd imagine that those wings would power Rodan through the water pretty effectively.

On topic, The clear intention of the film is that Kong is the hero. Godzilla vanishes under the waves, and Kong rises to the surface victorious. I know of nothing official that states the fight was a draw. Most of the statements I've heard, official and unofficial, go with Kong as the winner.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Chris55

Postby Chris55 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:26 pm

edgaguirus wrote:I know of nothing official that states the fight was a draw. Most of the statements I've heard, official and unofficial, go with Kong as the winner.

Wait, which is it?
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:20 pm

He said two different things there, though.

He's never heard anything official that says it was a draw, but he's heard official things that say Kong won.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Exactly. I've heard from most that Kong was the winner. The reasons why have already been stated in previous posts.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 am

Just wanted to say a copy of Toho Films Vol 8 went up for auction recently.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-p ... 13-51442.s

It seems giving away the endings was common back then for Toho in the plot synopsis of the various films.

Here's Sanjuro from the same catalogue

And here was the 1957 issue (cataloguing the 1956 films)

Where they gave away the ending for Rodan.

Here's Astro Monster from Vol 11

They don't tell you who wins the monster fight at the end only that the X aliens are "crushed".
Last edited by Shhh! The Octopus on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Toho Films”