Godzilla's Toughest Opponent Over All

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Who Do You Believe Is Godzilla's Toughest Opponent Over All?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:48 pm

King Ghidorah(Showa)
5%
King Ghidorah(Heisei)
2%
King Kong
No votes
MechaGodzilla(Showa)
8%
MechaGodzilla(Heisei)
15%
Kiryu
No votes
Hedorah
38%
Destoroyah
13%
Mothra(Showa)
2%
Mothra(Heisei)
No votes
Kaiser Ghidorah
15%
Gigan(Showa)
No votes
Space Godzilla
2%
Biollante
No votes
Battra
No votes

Total votes: 60

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Godzilla's Toughest Opponent Over All

Post by Kaeyas »

So I decided I needed my poll fix lol basically, I'm just curious of who my fellow fans see's as Godzilla's toughest or "Ultimate" foe. This isn't about how good or bad a film was, just the kaiju themselves. For example: had Gabara and Megalon both been very powerful kaiju, the fact that both movies were pretty bad and or goofy wouldn't change the fact that they were still powerful. This isn't about who your favorite is or even who you think Godzilla's arch nemesis is(we all know its KG anyway). For the sake of this poll this is one on one with Godzilla and no human intervention. We'll use 91' Heisei as an example (since he's kind of in the middle power wise out of all Godzillas) and each Kaiju listed will be scaled up to be as big as they were in comparison to Godzilla regardless of era. So in this example a Kaiju like Hedorah would go from 60 meters to 120 meters. If it were Legendary or Shin, same thing. Be as big to Godzilla as it was in it's film. Power will also be scaled up as well to match Godzilla the same as in the film(s) they appeared in.. As in most of my polls, I know it's hard to choose between just one sometimes so you get two votes.
Dedicated To Darkness..

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla's Toughest Opponent Over All

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hedorah/(Destroyah)

Hedorah is easily the strongest showa era monster. The fact of the matter is that it can keep reproducing and multipliying, and get stronger. While obviously in the context of the movies this never happens, it’s clear that Hedorah, and similar monsters like Hedorah would continue to destroy everything and even Godzilla. Hedorah, even if killed would reform. And that would be that. Even the sequel, which never happened, States, until another one!.

I say /(Destroyah because Destroyah is (essentially) a warmer Hedorah. Shin is a recreation of Hedorah and Destroyah) thematically, so it’s cool.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I say /(Destroyah because Destroyah is (essentially) a warmer Hedorah. Shin is a recreation of Hedorah and Destroyah) thematically, so it’s cool.

Never has someone summed up my own views on these monsters so succinctly.

I also agree with the rest of your post. Well said, LSD.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Hm... it's a tough choice, but I think these are the biggest contenders.

1. Hedorah
For all intents and purposes, Hedorah was immune to physical attacks. If anything, directly striking Hedorah only causes damage to the aggressor. Godzilla alone was never going to defeat Hedorah; it was due to human intervention that he vanquished the Smog Monster. While Hedorah's overall strength and abilities are pretty standard fare, being made of pollution has its perks. Simply put, Hedorah cannot be beaten into submission.

2.Super MechaGodzilla
MechaGodzilla is never a pushover, but the Heisei incarnation is truly a force to be reckoned with, especially with the Geruda attachment. Even without any upgrades, MechaGodzilla is absolutely armed to the teeth (enough to nearly overwhelm Godzilla). If it weren't for Rodan, then Godzilla would have definitely perished. Humanity really outdid themselves... it's a shame that a pterodactyl ruined it. :p Jokes aside, MechaGodzilla was already a powerful combatant, and the Garuda only made it an even greater threat.

3.Destoroyah
This monster is pretty similar to Hedorah, though there are a few differences. The largest is that Destoroyah actually can be beaten to death... if you can break through its thorough durability; it managed to endure several of Godzilla's magma beams, after all. Destoroyah has a pretty similar weakness to Hedorah as well; extreme temperatures. Even then, though, it could afford to fight head to head with a Godzilla melting down like a nuclear power plant on steroids... but only to a certain point. If Godzilla wasn't effectively overcharged, he would have been minced to shreds.

4. Monster X/Kaiser Ghidorah
As Monster X, this monster is the dictionary definition of versatile: it's tough, durable, swift, it excels in both close-quarters and ranged combat... it's the perfect formula. Transitioning from Monster X to Kaiser Ghidorah compromised its speed, but its improved Gravity Beams make up for it. I was actually considering leaving this monster off of the list, due to the Final Wars Godzilla having a level of strength that isn't very easy to quantify... but overall, I believe that Monster X is certainly one of the tougher customers, if not one of the toughest.

It's tough to quantify just how powerful any given monster is, due to the fact that they all fight a different Godzilla... but this is the best answer that I could come up with. You're free to disagree, though; this is just a brief analysis I threw together. I ended up voting for the Heisei incarnation of MechaGodzilla and Destoroyah, but those votes could easily apply to any of the aforementioned monsters, and likely a few others.
Last edited by The Baranosdragon on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Both Showa Mechagodzilla and Heisei Mechagodzilla were the deadliest foes their respective incarnations of Godzilla had ever faced. It took outside interference and developing a new power to defeat each incarnation of MG. Between the two of them Heisei Mechagodzilla was easily the strongest, getting closer to killing Godzilla than any other kaiju in the franchise.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

As a concept, Hedorah. Bar none.

In the confines of their film, Super Mechagodzilla. But that's mostly because of Godzilla's second brain thing. If that didn't exist, as it didn't in any other film, who knows?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Yeah, the main options have already been covered: Hedorah because walking pile of toxic sludge that Showa Godzilla had no hope of defeating 1v1,Heisei Mechagodzilla Super Mechagodzilla because straight up immune to Godzilla's beam and able to exploit his only weakness, and Keizer Ghidorah, for literally being a "Screw you" for any 1v1 fighter that FW Godzilla was completely helpless against. At least against Hedorah and Heisei MG, those respective Godzillas could at least ATTACK or TRY to defend themselves... FW was straight up helpless the moment he got his beam shoved back into him up to when he got the Kaiser boost and pulsed Keizer Ghidorah back.
Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Pleasantly surprised that I'm not in the minority in saying Hedorah. I would put Keiser Ghidorah as a close second- only because he's a cheap immobilizing energy vampire; in some ways, he's a more dire threat to Godzilla than Hedorah, if only because he curtails fighting entirely and just straight up sucks the life out of you... whereas at least Hedorah, you can fight. But I do think Hedorah has the stronger overall potential.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla in general hold top spot. After that would be Showa Gigan and Hedorah.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Super Mechagodzilla. But like Maritonic said, only because of a MacGuffin that was invented for that specific film.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Just talking about the character in general, I'd say Mechagodzilla. Between all four of his incarnations, he's never really given Godzilla a easy fight no matter what power up or shape he takes. In every movie he's in he always causes Godzilla to bleed and/or take a chunk out of him.

Onto topic:
- Hedorah. It's true, it gave Godzilla one hell of a fight.... but most importantly its ability to reproduce can lead to a horrific future if not dealt with.
- Super Mechagodzilla. He nearly killed Godzilla if it wasn't for having Miki target the second brain or Rodan reviving Godzilla at the last second.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's easily Hedorah. Hedorah was a fight that Godzilla could never win by himself. Hedorah was virtually immune to everything that Godzilla threw at him, while Hedorah had the means to hurt Godzilla. Without the technology of man, Godzilla would have lost.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

I myself have yet to vote because all of the reasons stated above are true. I say Hedorah for sure and agree that had there been no human intervention, Godzilla would have been killed. All MechaGodzilla's put a major beatdown on Godzilla but were still defeated so I'm not so sure there..Gigan was the first kaiju to draw G's blood but once Godzilla got his wits about him, he stomped a mudhole in him and sent him packing. Destoroyah was basically beaten by the military so we'll never know if Godzilla would have killed him had he not melted down but it looked as if Destoroyah was going to lose...Godzilla was blowing chunks of flesh off him. Then Kaiser who straight up owned G before he got Kaiser energy. I also wonder how some of the other Godzilla's would have stacked up against Hedorah (without human help).
Last edited by Kaeyas on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Man that's a lot of Hedorah wank.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm going to say something unpopular.

Heisei Mechagodzilla isn't really that powerful. While his ability to absorb beams and use them to power the spiral grenade allows him to excel against beam spammers, his actual durability beyond that is horrendous (Godzilla leaves visible damage by penetrating his armor with his claws just by the simple act of shoving him over) and his weapons beyond the spiral grenade are average at best. The only reason he came close to killing Godzilla was because he was specifically tailored to exploit a specific weakness; otherwise Godzilla was dominating their fights. Against any melee happy monster like Showa Godzilla or Showa Rodan, Heisei Mechagodzilla would have gotten his ass kicked, especially if his armor can be damaged from something as simple as a clumsy shove.

I gave my votes to Hedorah and Destoroyah for reasons already mentioned above. Those two have unlimited potential to grow and evolve, and it's lucky that they were stopped when they were.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Even Mechagodzilla City gave him a hard time.

I feel like Toho shot themselves in the foot in never showing Showa King Ghidorah fight Godzilla one on one. We are told he is super powerful but they never did a good job showing it outside of always needing two monster minimum to beat him. Closest they got was on Planet X where Godzilla was doing most of the work and he and Rodan were hiding behind cover to avid being shot and King Ghidorah walking through the Atomic Rays like it was nothing.

On the bright side Heisei King Ghidorah was kicking Godzilla's ass until the mind control broke and even then he would have strangled him to death if not for the Nuclear Pule.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Comes down to Destoroyah, SpaceGodzilla, Hedorah, Mechagodzilla and Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I feel Hedorah has a disproportionate high number of votes. He's not the only Kaiju Godzilla needed human help to defeat you know.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

godjacob wrote:I feel Hedorah has a disproportionate high number of votes. He's not the only Kaiju Godzilla needed human help to defeat you know.
He's the only kaiju that would beed outside help to win regardless of scenario, sans Burning Godzilla's tremendous heat. However, it should probably be noted that blasting Hedorah to pieces and then having him reform over a span of days should count as a KO.

Though, Hedorah did manage to chew Godzilla's hand down to the bone, something never seen sense. That's worth something.

Something worth noting, is that the SpaceGodzilla fight lasted the entire night into dawn. One of the few films that we actually see a passage of time. SpaceG is a fricken TANK. It could also be made a point that SpaceG wasn't fully recharged after escaping a black hole and traveling at near the speed of light (source: All Toho Monsters Pictorial Book [4th Edition]), engaging Moguera in Space and continuing to Earth and immediately fighting Godzilla. If his shoulder crystals were not destroyed the battle probably would have prolonged even further.

Though Destoroyah's ability to self evolve is a key factor as well. Heisei Power Houses dominate the list for sure.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Eh, I feel Monster X/Kaizer Ghidorah gets incredibly overlooked. It flat out dominated one of the strongest versions of Godzilla and needed a boost from that super human. Not to mention that Heisei King Ghidorah was literally gonna stomp Godzilla to death had it not been for the humans breaking the future guys control over it. Yet it doesn't even have a single vote nor does Showa King Ghidora who NEVER was defeated by Godzilla one on one and always required help to bring down.

Take my comment with bias, avatar and all, but I feel the Ghidorahs are overlooked for this.