Toho monster logos, how to find?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Re: Toho monster logos, how to find?

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Goji wrote:Also, the original title screens for the Showa films (that Sony released) have now been altered with stupid "TM" symbols right next to the English title screen/ font.
Oh God, don't remind me.

For crissake, the title in Godzilla 2000 is off-center on the screen because they had to fit a © or a ® next to the "Godzilla" part of the title. Good God, Toho.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's bothered by this.

I have an R0 Tawainese DVD of the International version of GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH which has a "clean" title screen, without the copyright crap on it. I'm sure the other titles they released (GIGAN, MEGALON, TERROR) are like this as well. Sadly the image is cropped to somewhere between 4:3 (1.33:1) and 3:2, and probably is for all of the releases. It's just interesting to see that Toho didn't seem to care as much when releasing these films elsewhere (I'm pretty sure they were authorized releases, regardless of how shady the packaging was).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ Was this before or after G-Fan had to remove the fanfiction and fan art sections?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I tried to see the ones TitanoGoji16 linked to, but I'm on Linux and XviD doesn't work. Can someone post/ link to some good res screen captures?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

Toxic Toast wrote:^ The only monster logo on my compendium is one of Godzilla on the back cover.
Did you check the second page. In mine, you open up the book, turn the page, and ta-da, there's your monsters.
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Goji wrote:I have an R0 Tawainese DVD of the International version of GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH which has a "clean" title screen, without the copyright crap on it. I'm sure the other titles they released (GIGAN, MEGALON, TERROR) are like this as well. Sadly the image is cropped to somewhere between 4:3 (1.33:1) and 3:2, and probably is for all of the releases.
None of the others have copyright info either. I kind of wish that the Taiwanese company could have released a rare international dub (THE LAST WAR, WOTG) along with the 70's Godzilla's.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

godzilla1996 wrote:
Toxic Toast wrote:^ The only monster logo on my compendium is one of Godzilla on the back cover.
Did you check the second page. In mine, you open up the book, turn the page, and ta-da, there's your monsters.
And so they are! Sorry, I don't know how I missed them.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

Can I ask a stupid question?Why did Toho make logos in the first place and when did they start making them?
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

^ its a long story my friend... before the time of man...
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Tamura wrote:
Goji wrote:I have an R0 Tawainese DVD of the International version of GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH which has a "clean" title screen, without the copyright crap on it. I'm sure the other titles they released (GIGAN, MEGALON, TERROR) are like this as well. Sadly the image is cropped to somewhere between 4:3 (1.33:1) and 3:2, and probably is for all of the releases.
None of the others have copyright info either. I kind of wish that the Taiwanese company could have released a rare international dub (THE LAST WAR, WOTG) along with the 70's Godzilla's.
Yeah, that would have been nice. The Godzilla films are the only Toho films they released, correct?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

DrKaiju1954 wrote:Can I ask a stupid question?Why did Toho make logos in the first place and when did they start making them?
So Toho can keep consistent English names for their monsters on International products. The Toho logos sometimes do appear on Bandai tags.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Legion1979 wrote:
ZigraDude wrote:The Toho logos sometimes do appear on Bandai tags.
Yes and no. Just the Godzilla logo appears on licensed Japanese products, but only in the form of a small silver sticker. Up until the early 90s the logo was completely different from what we see now, and the sticker was gold. Now the logo is based on the Marvel Comics art.
I should have specified that the Godzilla logo appears on licensed Japanese products. My bad. I have noticed how Toho switched to the Marvel Godzilla logo in the mid-90's or so. I prefer the original Toho logo seen on the older Bandai figures because it actually looks like Godzilla.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Legion1979 wrote:
ZigraDude wrote:The Toho logos sometimes do appear on Bandai tags.
Yes and no. Just the Godzilla logo appears on licensed Japanese products, but only in the form of a small silver sticker. Up until the early 90s the logo was completely different from what we see now, and the sticker was gold. Now the logo is based on the Marvel Comics art.
Yeah, I remember this. My first few Bandai's I got in the early 90's had that sticker. It's still on a few of my tags of various figures.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

can i see the original godzilla logo? beofre the marvel switch? Pweeeeeez
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

You'll have to click on the picture of the tag to see the logo, but it's there.

http://www.clubtokyo.org/listings/itemL ... tentID=575

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

eh.... i like the marvel one better

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

The logos from Godzilla Unleashed. Not the best quality, but it's got the ones for Jet Jaguar and Krystalak.

"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's odd that the Kiryu logo was used for STE, but absent on G:U. They also started using the Fire Rodan icon with G:U, when I believe it was the Showa Rodan icon that was seen on the previous games (which didn't make sense, since Fire Rodan was used for all of the Atari games).

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't recall Kiryu having a icon on the STE cover. The Kiryu movies do use the same MechaGodzilla logo, does GvsMG '74 and TOMG as well.
It can only be seen with the other logos at the start up screen. It is strangely absent from the box itself. As for the DVD releases, I'm sure it's just something that slipped on part of Toho's marketing department/the people at Sony. Why make an icon if you're not even going to use it on licensed products? I just don't get it.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Clearly, Toho is just random as hell when it comes to this stuff. Which explains why the Rodan icon was used for TWO games, on top of the Heisei MG icon being used for the two Kiryu films on DVD. Makes no sense.