Fixing Toho Movies

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Fixing Toho Movies

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Inspired by the "fixing movies" thread on reddit. Use this thread to put down your ideas on how to rewrite Toho films to make them better films.

For the first one, Here's how I'd fix Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, a film which has flaws but I think is a lot better then most people make it out to be.

* We need to cut out basically all the subplots because there are way too many. The Yazuka plot can go. I also think we can take out the "Yuki hates Godzilla" thing. He can have a grudge but years on Birth Island with Little Godzilla have mellowed it out to a friendly rivalry. This can also add another character to the "is Godzilla good?" debate Miki and the G-Force soldiers have.
* Project T can be the main plan, with Moguera a secret plan in case it doesn't work.
* Spacegodzilla. He's an interesting antagonist but he's always felt kinda half baked to me. Like, there's only the vague "he's smart and evil" motivation in the film. We could make him much better. An idea I came up with is make the Spacegodzilla is a Godzilla clone more explicit. Instead of coming to Earth for vague evil reasons, Spacegodzilla is aware he is a Godzilla and wants to take his own territory by driving out Godzilla. His crystal fortress in Fukouka is his new territory, his own form of Birth Island. This can also provide a more sinister reason for kidnapping Little Godzilla too, then just luring Godzilla. After all, we all know what male lions do to the young when they take over a territory…
* Instead of trying to fight Spacegodzilla, G-Force wants him to confront Godzilla in the hopes he can kill Godzilla, not caring what he'll do. This keeps the theme kept in GVMG2 and GVD that G-Force are pretty morally questionable in killing Godzilla.
*Similar to the manga, Yuki and the others steal Moguera, except this time to confront Spacegodzilla with Godzilla.
*Mothra is explicitly the reason Spacegodzilla exists. It's less vague and makes the Cosmos more relevant: Mothra fucked up and made this monster so they're trying to fix their mistake.
*Kawikata, I love the effects in this film but can we please trim the final battle? It's just too long.
* There should be an overarching theme about Godzilla himself in the film. More specifically, if he truly is a monster and who is right on how to treat him. A lot of the film seems tailor made to this concept. Yuki and Miki both have experience with Godzilla, G-Force is trying to control him, he has a chance to show a softer side with little G, and we have a evil contrast in Spacegodzilla. This can also build on Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2's originally showing a sympathetic take on the Heisei Godzilla, and add to the conflicted feelings of a dying Godzilla in Godzilla vs Destoryah.

That's how I'd do it. Let me know what you think and add your own fixes below. Only rule I have (can I make rules?) is try to explain why you're doing your fixes.

Added in 13 minutes 23 seconds:
Extra fix I just remembered.

*Put back in some of the deleted scenes of Godzilla and Little Godzilla. Makes Godzilla more sympathetic, and makes us care more about Little Godzilla.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fixing Toho Movies

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I also think we can take out the "Yuki hates Godzilla" thing. He can have a grudge but years on Birth Island with Little Godzilla have mellowed it out to a friendly rivalry.
This change would basically demolish what little emotional core the movie has.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

eabaker wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I also think we can take out the "Yuki hates Godzilla" thing. He can have a grudge but years on Birth Island with Little Godzilla have mellowed it out to a friendly rivalry.
Yeah, I was never the biggest fan of Yuki's arc (I thought the filmmakers could decide where Yuki was in his arc. Like one minute, he's trying to help Godzilla, the next, he's trying to kill him) but throwing it out isn't the best idea. New fix: things are the same but this time, it's justified. Yuki is conflicted thought the movie on whether what he's doing is right or not, tying into the theme of "is Godzilla sympathetic?" He could change his mind during the Moguera piloting and decide he has to do it, only to change during the battle. In other words, keep the arc but explain it better.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Yeah, I was never the biggest fan of Yuki's arc (I thought the filmmakers could decide where Yuki was in his arc. Like one minute, he's trying to help Godzilla, the next, he's trying to kill him) but throwing it out isn't the best idea. New fix: things are the same but this time, it's justified. Yuki is conflicted thought the movie on whether what he's doing is right or not, tying into the theme of "is Godzilla sympathetic?" He could change his mind during the Moguera piloting and decide he has to do it, only to change during the battle. In other words, keep the arc but explain it better.
And now we are in 100% agreement!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.