Why have Godzilla movies just been kinda bad from 1955 - 2004 Discussion

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Radioactive Lizard
Ronin

Why have Godzilla movies just been kinda bad from 1955 - 2004 Discussion

Post by Radioactive Lizard »

I wanted to start a discussion of why most Godzilla movies have been bad 1955-2004. Also why they got better later on.
I HAVE THE POWER OF GOD

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Why have Godzilla movies just been kinda bad from 1955 - 2004 Discussion

Post by Zarm »

So, why do you feel that all but the last 4 have been bad?
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Wow that's a very unpopular opinion. I don't think you'll find many people here that agree with you.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

*grabs popcorn* This'll be a fun thread.

But I, too, am interested in hearing your reasoning for this. I don't entirely disagree with you, as a fair chunk of those movies really aren't good for much more than dumb fun, but there are certainly several good ones sprinkled throughout. The reverse is also true, with some post-2004 movies being less than stellar, or at least frustrating mixed bags.

And, because somebody has to say it: "Good is a point of view, Anakin." -Darth Sidious
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The entire Millennium era was mostly comprised of frustrating mixed bags. Hell most films since arguably Godzilla vs King Ghidorah have largely been either mediocre or forgettable. There's a few gems here and there of course but they're few and far between. Even fondly remembered films like Destroyah and GMK are full of wasted potential.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The entire Millennium era was mostly comprised of frustrating mixed bags. Hell most films since arguably Godzilla vs King Ghidorah have largely been either mediocre or forgettable. There's a few gems here and there of course but they're few and far between. Even fondly remembered films like Destroyah and GMK are full of wasted potential.
I mean, the Godzilla series is subject to Sturgeon's revelation, just like everything else.

Actually, I'd say this series beats the odds pretty spectacularly in that regard, in that nowhere near 90% of them are crap.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Yeah, most Godzilla movies are great. Even the ones that suck are great. The title of this topic presupposes an opinion that I just really don't believe is widespread.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Yeah, most Godzilla movies are great. Even the ones that suck are great. The title of this topic presupposes an opinion that I just really don't believe is widespread.
Yeah, flawed premise makes for pointless thread.

I mean, we could all sit here and defend why X and Y are great movies, but X and Y have their own dedicated threads where their strengths and weaknesses have been debated plenty.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

eabaker wrote:I mean, the Godzilla series is subject to Sturgeon's revelation, just like everything else.

Actually, I'd say this series beats the odds pretty spectacularly in that regard, in that nowhere near 90% of them are crap.
I prefer del Toro's law - 10% of everything is great. Even in the Godzilla films I don't like as much I can still find something to appreciate or think about.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

So... are you a Godzilla fan? Cause you sound more like a member of the western general audience who hasn't seen most Godzilla films outside of the original and the new ones, who just assumes the rest are bad because of the stigma that plagues this franchise. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just genuinely confused about why you have a TK account if you think most of the films are bad.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

If everyone thought the films from 1955-2004 were kinda bad, then there wouldn't be a Godzilla fandom. You can't really have a fandom for one film, you can only have like a cult following. The forum on which you can post this topic would not exist.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Mothra Vs Godzilla had potential, but they undermined it at the end when Godzilla got defeated by two caterpillars.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:Mothra Vs Godzilla had potential, but they undermined it at the end when Godzilla got defeated by two caterpillars.
You really have a problem with that ending, don't you?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Reminder that if you still complain about the ending of MVG, you are either a young child or a sad adult.

Sixty fucking years. Get the absolute holy fuck over it you pissing crybabies.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

UltramanGoji wrote:Reminder that if you still complain about the ending of MVG, you are either a young child or a sad adult.

Sixty fucking years. Get the absolute holy fuck over it you pissing crybabies.
GET 'EM, ULTRAMANGOJI!
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Radioactive Lizard
Ronin

Post by Radioactive Lizard »

Im gonna say this as I didn't address but I don't think all the movies were bad, but the majority in my eyes were really bad like Final Wars or Son of godzilla. Cliche, dumb, and not well written unlike today where we have been doing better with Godzilla films like Toho which did a very good job with POTM and COE anime films. Also Shin Godzilla and Godzilla 2014. its just that this age seems more promising to good Godzilla movies.
I HAVE THE POWER OF GOD

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Because you have bad taste in movies.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Radioactive Lizard wrote:Im gonna say this as I didn't address but I don't think all the movies were bad, but the majority in my eyes were really bad like Final Wars or Son of godzilla. Cliche, dumb, and not well written unlike today where we have been doing better with Godzilla films like Toho which did a very good job with POTM and COE anime films. Also Shin Godzilla and Godzilla 2014. its just that this age seems more promising to good Godzilla movies.
I've seen a lot of audiences hate the new films G14 and Shin Godzilla. They constantly complain about the screen time for Godzilla in both of those movies.

Yet the critics generally liked them.

I've noticed that franchises from Godzilla to Star Wars seem to be handing over the reigns to directors for their auteur visions.

Which goes down well with film critics who look for the director's voice in a film amongst other things, but sometimes doesn't wash well with the larger audience.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Screentime was just one of LPG's problems. There were much worse ones.

For context, Radioactive, which pre-2004 movies do you consider good?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

JAGzilla wrote:Screentime was just one of LPG's problems. There were much worse ones.

For context, Radioactive, which pre-2004 movies do you consider good?
I personally like Godzilla 2014.