Why have Godzilla movies just been kinda bad from 1955 - 2004 Discussion

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Why have Godzilla movies just been kinda bad from 1955 - 2004 Discussion

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh, so do I- but it could've been a lot better.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I loved G14. And I loved Son of Godzilla even more.

There's been well-written films in all eras, even the Millennium era. True, both the Shin series and legendary Godzilla series have essentially a 100% success rate of good films, at least in my view- but then, the same thing could be said of literally every era preceding it if you just look at the very first film. :) Conversely, while I've been avoiding spoilers or reviews for the second Godzilla anime like the plague (because I already found out more about the first one then I wanted to ahead of time), everything I heard about the first one indicated that it did not go down well. While I appreciated it, I didn't really get great enjoyment out of it for the most part. So it's not as if the modern era has proved infallible. And that's not even getting into the number of absolute classics in the showa, and yes, heisei, series.
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

>its another "all Godzilla movies suck except the ones which I've seen get critical praise" episode

Pretty funny that you'd say Son of Godzilla has bad and cliche writing when the 2014 film is the embodiment of schlocky, B-movie tier dialogue and writing.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

UltramanGoji wrote:Reminder that if you still complain about the ending of MVG, you are either a young child or a sad adult.

Sixty fucking years. Get the absolute holy fuck over it you pissing crybabies.
So insulting everyone who doesn't like the ending of MvG is the way to go about it? "If you don't like the ending of the movie, you're an immature pissing crybaby".

YEAH, NO. There's no reason to flame bait everyone who doesn't like Godzilla being beaten up by two caterpillars. Enjoy your warning.

FRIENDLY REMINDER TO EVERYONE: DO NOT INSULT OR FLAME BAIT OTHER MEMBERS OR GROUPS OF MEMBERS. If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Yikes, just realized the title says 1955 and not 1995.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

With the exception of Shin, GMK, and to much lesser extents G2K and Final Wars there's hardly anything I truly enjoyed to come out of the franchise since Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Hell Godzilla the Series was more enjoyable than most the films of the past 25 plus years.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

To call most of the G films bad is a very strong opinion that many would disagree with. There are good, bad, and in between, just like all movie franchises. To generalize all those movies as bad is to stereotype the genre like a person who views Godzilla as a man in a rubber suit knocking over cardboard buildings. Invasion of the Astro monsters and G vs Biollante, for example, are highly favored here, while films like G vs Megalon and G vs Spacegodzilla still get appreciation from some of us. They're not all bad or all good, but each is to be judged by its own merit, or simply the entertainment value.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

So...basically your saying all Godzilla movies from the Showa, Heisei and Millennium series are terrible? ::rolls on the ground with tears in eyes laughing hysterically:: Wow! I have no words ::continues laughing, Unable to breath:: so......ok I really am at a loss of words. I guess everyone has an opinion though. But if you haven't seen all of them, you should at least find a few you like. Hell, I think Godzilla's Revenge is the biggest pile of steaming skreonk in the entire series (but perhaps tied with Zilla in 98) but being a G fan I still find value even in a film that bad. The newer films are good but the classics are the mirrors to the true G-fan's soul....er something like that. Idk. I'm probably just psychotic :twisted:
Dedicated To Darkness..