The Godzilla Strategic Conference: 2021 and Beyond

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Strategic Conference: 2021 and Beyond

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote:Shin would need to evolve a personality if he was going to function in an expanded universe. As of now, his interactions with other kaiju would be pretty limited.
It would be return of the beam wars, with a vengeance! This Godzilla lacks the means to fight tooth and claw with his small arms, jaggy maw with split jaw, and extremely slow movement. Add the back and tail lasers, and how is any version of Mothra supposed to work against that? Maybe RoM Mothra could beam spam right back at him, but you really need to set that up pretty good in the story.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Welp, Shin Godzilla did not help the first anime films box office take(it made 5m.. though enough for profit). We'll see, starting tonight, how part 2 will do.

I'm just saying, Toho should take an even deeper look at this. A traditional Godzilla might not be as successful as they're thinking. Shin Godzilla is different, and why it made so much money. Maybe you guys are right and there can't be a universe based off that. I'm also saying MAYBE Toho should make Shin Godzilla 2 for 2021-22 and see if it truly is that type of Godzilla people want before jumping into the planned cinematic universe.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote:Welp, Shin Godzilla did not help the first anime films box office take(it made 5m.. though enough for profit). We'll see, starting tonight, how part 2 will do.

I'm just saying, Toho should take an even deeper look at this. A traditional Godzilla might not be as successful as they're thinking. Shin Godzilla is different, and why it made so much money. Maybe you guys are right and there can't be a universe based off that. I'm also saying MAYBE Toho should make Shin Godzilla 2 for 2021-22 and see if it truly is that type of Godzilla people want before jumping into the planned cinematic universe.
Of course Shin didn't help the anime, they are completely different things, why even bring it up? I don't know what point you are trying to make here?

I don't think a traditional Godzilla will do as bad as you expect. Shin's success wasn't solely based on the Godzilla design. This was the first Japanese Godzilla movie in over a decade, they got a famous director in Anno, the marketing and hype were good, and the political satire after the nuclear disaster nailed the sentiment and mood of the population at the time. You could do a sequel to Shin, same monster, and miss the tone or fail to tap into the Japanese zeitgiest and bomb at the box office. Don't credit Godzilla solely for Shin Godzilla's success.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Vakanai wrote:
Cookson wrote:Welp, Shin Godzilla did not help the first anime films box office take(it made 5m.. though enough for profit). We'll see, starting tonight, how part 2 will do.

Of course Shin didn't help the anime, they are completely different things, why even bring it up? I don't know what point you are trying to make here?

I don't think a traditional Godzilla will do as bad as you expect. Shin's success wasn't solely based on the Godzilla design. This was the first Japanese Godzilla movie in over a decade, they got a famous director in Anno, the marketing and hype were good, and the political satire after the nuclear disaster nailed the sentiment and mood of the population at the time. You could do a sequel to Shin, same monster, and miss the tone or fail to tap into the Japanese zeitgiest and bomb at the box office. Don't credit Godzilla solely for Shin Godzilla's success.
You're digging into why I think Shin Godzilla 2 should be attempted. I bring up the Godzilla anime because it didn't do great.. ok for its limited style release though. You can say that's a more traditional Godzilla. I'm just saying they should look at it.. maybe they have and decided not too. Yiyre right, it was the type of Godzilla film why it did so well.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote:You're digging into why I think Shin Godzilla 2 should be attempted. I bring up the Godzilla anime because it didn't do great.. ok for its limited style release though. You can say that's a more traditional Godzilla. I'm just saying they should look at it.. maybe they have and decided not too. Yiyre right, it was the type of Godzilla film why it did so well.
Shin and the anime are apples and oranges, the anime was never going to be a blockbuster, but the fact the anime didn't do as well (and wasn't it still profitable?) doesn't mean the audience only cares for a Shin like Godzilla. The anime was a sci-fi cartoon with heavy exposition that is meant to set up the world and the next two films rather than stand strong by itself and lacks the satire of Shin. Also doesn't indicate how the audience would respond to a traditional Godzilla, if anything Godzilla Earth is less traditional than Shin. Shin was a big event aimed at the Japanese GA, the anime is a small side project aimed at anime fans.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

don't forget, the shin merch sold extremely well. Better then the animes merch reportedly

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Godzillian wrote:don't forget, the shin merch sold extremely well. Better then the animes merch reportedly
Again, seems kind of off topic. How does this bare with future movie plans?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Vakanai wrote:
Godzillian wrote:don't forget, the shin merch sold extremely well. Better then the animes merch reportedly
"gee when we tried anime films they didn't do good at the box office and the merch was a poor seller. It sold less then the stuff from a year old movie! Maybe Godzilla cartoons aren't such a good idea after all" -an exec at Toho that runs a business and wants to make money
Last edited by Godzillian on Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Godzillian wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
"gee when we tried anime films they didn't do good at the box office and the merch was a poor seller. It sold less then the stuff from a year old movie! Maybe Godzilla cartoons aren't such a good idea after all" -an exec at Toho that runs a business and wants to make money
Again, oranges and apples. Toho may have licensed it or produced it, but they didn't make it, Polygon did. It also isn't traditional anime but CG, heavy on the exposition, and one part of a trilogy, so dooming all future anime Godzilla movies and series based on the lukewarm success of one third of a project is a bit premature.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

This is so exciting! What a great time to be a fan, I knew the experimental stuff done with Shin and AniGoji was for something.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Personally I think Shin Godzilla is best served as its own standalone film. It wraps up nicely and that cliffhanger is pretty much like the end of Gojira with "another Godzilla may appear'. It's not baiting a sequel, it's stating that this horror may truly never go away, which ties strongly into the message of the film.

For this cinematic universe, I'd rather a new take on Godzilla, as much as I adore Shin.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GalacticPetey wrote:Personally I think Shin Godzilla is best served as its own standalone film. It wraps up nicely and that cliffhanger is pretty much like the end of Gojira with "another Godzilla may appear'. It's not baiting a sequel, it's stating that this horror may truly never go away, which ties strongly into the message of the film.

For this cinematic universe, I'd rather a new take on Godzilla, as much as I adore Shin.
I'm in the same boat as well. Yet I believe a Shin sequel could work, but it can wait. Maybe they could secretly start brainstorming ideas over the next couple of years as everything else is being made.

All in all the future seems bright for Godzilla and friends.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

GigaBowserG wrote: [*]Up to this point, Godzilla tie-ins and appearances in media have been handled very strictly. However, they've come to realize that Godzilla's charm lies not just in his strength and intimidating demeanor, but also in his more humorous side, granting him a wider range of use with fewer restrictions, in turn increasing his audience.
This better mean they'll let Shout! Factory release the MST3K versions of Megalon and Sea Monster
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote: [*]Up to this point, Godzilla tie-ins and appearances in media have been handled very strictly. However, they've come to realize that Godzilla's charm lies not just in his strength and intimidating demeanor, but also in his more humorous side, granting him a wider range of use with fewer restrictions, in turn increasing his audience.
This better mean they'll let Shout! Factory release the MST3K versions of Megalon and Sea Monster
Don't hold your breath. Toho was never a fan of those

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

GalacticPetey wrote:Personally I think Shin Godzilla is best served as its own standalone film. It wraps up nicely and that cliffhanger is pretty much like the end of Gojira with "another Godzilla may appear'. It's not baiting a sequel, it's stating that this horror may truly never go away, which ties strongly into the message of the film.
Agreed. It's not sequel bait it's a challenge to the audience and mankind.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Godzillian wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:
Don't hold your breath. Toho was never a fan of those
Well, they let Rifftrax do Mothra (1961) live, so there's hope.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Stuff.
Holy carp, I've been sigged all this time and I didn't even know it. :shock:
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Color me hopeful about loosening the reigns for more idiosyncratic projects (it's amazing to think we're in an era that gave us Shin and the animated trilogy after the Millenium and Heisei films), but wary about attempts to consciously map out a connected universe or adhere to a roughly annual or biannual cycle.

Part of the fun of what Toho was doing now was that Legendary got to handle the traditional spectacle-blockbusters while they went ham with their writer-director-oriented projects, and I'm a little less thrilled to see them try to take a slice of that pie.
Last edited by Rodan on Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:Color me hopeful about loosening the reigns for more idiosyncratic projects (it's amazing to think we're in an era that gave us Shin and the animated trilogy after the Millenium and Heisei films), but wary about attempts to consciously map out a connected universe or adhere roughly annual or biannual cycle.

Part of the fun of what Toho was doing now was that Legendary got to handle the traditional spectacle-blockbusters while they went ham with their writer-director-oriented projects, and I'm a little less thrilled to see them try to take a slice of that pie.
You've pretty much summarized my feelings on this, as well.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Hikari
GPN Volunteer

Post by Hikari »

Well of course. How can anything compare to the return of the Japanese Godzilla? Its to be expected that Shin would outsell the anime.
May or may have not just came here for the Ultra-Thread.