Worst Ideas For The Godzilla Franchise

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: Worst Ideas For The Godzilla Franchise

Post by TheSecondComing »

Yes, now more than ever is Bagan's time to shine.

Godzilla stars as the local high school janitor, who likes to smoke with the students and teach them important life lessons you can't find in the textbooks.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Making Mothra a villain for a film while Godzilla is the hero in the same film.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

darthzilla99 wrote:Making Mothra a villain for a film while Godzilla is the hero in the same film.
Well, they made Ghidorah a hero and Godzilla a villain and GMK. See no problem here, really.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MinorBone Good wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:Making Mothra a villain for a film while Godzilla is the hero in the same film.
Well, they made Ghidorah a hero and Godzilla a villain and GMK. See no problem here, really.
Really depends on execution. Godzilla being the "hero" doesn't mean he has to necessarily be a "good guy", just the lesser of two evils as he was in the Heisei series most of the time. Again depending on the execution, this COULD be an interesting idea.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Continuing to use King Ghidorah and Mothra repeatedly.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:Continuing to use King Ghidorah and Mothra repeatedly.
Agreed COMPLETELY. I really want to see Megalon, Ebirah, King Ceasar, Spacegodzilla, hell I don't know, any other underused kaiju come back other than Mothra and Ghidorah for the 900th time.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Agreed COMPLETELY. I really want to see Megalon, Ebirah, King Ceasar, Spacegodzilla, hell I don't know, any other underused kaiju come back other than Mothra and Ghidorah for the 900th time.
Mothra and Ghidorah are more popular than those other monsters for a reason, and I would never want to see them (or Rodan) dropped entirely, or even given an especially long hiatus. But, Mothra popping up in 3 out of 6 Millennium films, that was a little much, especially following up on the Mothra trilogy (which, of course, also gave us two appearances by variants on King Ghidorah).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Mothra and Ghidorah are more popular than those other monsters for a reason, and I would never want to see them (or Rodan) dropped entirely, or even given an especially long hiatus. But, Mothra popping up in 3 out of 6 Millennium films, that was a little much, especially following up on the Mothra trilogy (which, of course, also gave us two appearances by variants on King Ghidorah).
AND now we have both Mothra and King Ghidorah in the anime and Monsterverse. I hope they show other monsters in World of Godzilla.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

A rapping Godzilla or any other kaiju.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I don't want to see them dropped entirely. Them appearing in Godzilla 2 makes perfect sense. However, the over-usage in the Millennium series was a tad ridiculous. And I think it's a valid concern going forward.

Ghidorah is my personal favorite. I'd hate to see him go. But, I feel the same about The Joker with Batman; there ARE other villains that are interesting.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Godzilla/Boss Baby crossover.

RIP Evan.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Never using or referencing the Oxygen Destroyer.

Added in 7 minutes 36 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
Same here
Last edited by GojiDude95 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Going back to suits.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Vakanai wrote:Going back to suits.
If you're being serious, I'd love to understand why you think a franchise that consists of 85% suitmation should avoid going back to suits.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Maritonic wrote:
If you're being serious, I'd love to understand why you think a franchise that consists of 85% suitmation should avoid going back to suits.
Personal opinion and to each their own, but because to too many people not diehard kaiju fans like us, it would feel outdated. Like giving the next live action Superman the red underwear on the outside look. I feel like the general audience, even a Japanese general audience, would expect a higher level CGI over guy in suit now.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The exit is to your left. /

I'm messing with you lad.

On a more serious note, I dunno, I'm sure they could get away with suits or animatronics in a few scenes. Sadly I assume the movies will go full on CGI from now on.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Maritonic wrote:Agreed COMPLETELY. I really want to see King Ceasar
UH-frickin-HUH!

I know King Ghidorah and Mothra are the most popular kaiju, but I would love to see some old monsters from the Showa era return. My personal pick, King Caesar aside, would be Gabara. Give him a redesign, a slight upgrade, and he'd be an awesome villain.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
The exit is to your left. /

I'm messing with you lad.

On a more serious note, I dunno, I'm sure they could get away with suits or animatronics in a few scenes. Sadly I assume the movies will go full on CGI from now on.
Another thing to mention is, like most here, I grew up with the movies using suits and love them. But financially for the studio pursuing CGI is the best thing to build momentum and stay relevant. So I don't have anything against suits.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Godzilla: Planet Eater will have Haruo and Yuko dying and then being revived by Mothra as human/kaiju hybrids, who will fuse together into MegaroGoji who teams up with Mothra to defeat Godzilla Earth and Ghidorah. The film then ends with Earth reclaimed and the two of them ready to defend the Earth against new monsters the Exif send to take over.

This is an actual fucking plot idea on the TV Tropes page for Godzilla: City on The Edge of Battle.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm sure suits will be able to make a comeback somewhere down the line. It's all in the execution and marketing. CGI and the incredible things it can do are the flashy, new-ish, popular thing right now, and I'd say rightly so, but respect for/interest in traditional moviemaking techniques could very well revive in a few years. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio