Worst Ideas For The Godzilla Franchise

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Worst Ideas For The Godzilla Franchise

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Wrong thread. We're talking about bad ideas here, not incredible ones.

Semi-seriously, though, I wouldn't mind seeing The Giant Condor brought back as an actual scavenging vulture. I mean, dead kaiju need to go somewhere, right?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

I actually wouldn't mind either. Maybe there can be packs of them like Kamacuras.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzillian wrote:The only thing in the franchise that really made me go "this is stupid" was Godzilla being attracted to bird calls and that frequency in ROG
That was tapping into the link between dinosaurs and birds that was becoming more and more apparent at the time (and this was before Jurassic Park really popularized the idea in the public conscious!).

What's dumb to me is that they never thought to use it again after successfully trapping Godzilla.

Dr.Cgad
Samurai

Post by Dr.Cgad »

a sequel to shin godzilla that has nothing to do with shin godzilla. And also flies for no explainable reason.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

A post robot invasion world where girls in pink uniforms hunt down robots and Godzilla shows up just to walk around. There is also a light green Godzilla in addition to the normal Godzilla, probably a Moon Godzilla. The light green Godzilla has a slightly shorter tail. Most of the movie is told from the POV of a robot pretending to be out of commission whilst lying in the gutter.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum1 on Thu May 17, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AbelCesar
Ronin

Post by AbelCesar »

-Having Ghidorah mutate from 3 little muppets.
-Sending Godzilla's cells to space, resulting in a SuperGodzilla knock-off.
-Having a specific nation being responsible for the monster's creation.
-A black hole weapon that buries things rather than absorbing them.
-Putting Adobe Premiere-type filters over the image without an ounce of criteria.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Giving Godzilla fully visible genitalia.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

tbeasley wrote:
Godzillian wrote:The only thing in the franchise that really made me go "this is stupid" was Godzilla being attracted to bird calls and that frequency in ROG
That was tapping into the link between dinosaurs and birds that was becoming more and more apparent at the time (and this was before Jurassic Park really popularized the idea in the public conscious!).

What's dumb to me is that they never thought to use it again after successfully trapping Godzilla.
That reminds me of another weakness from G vs. MGII that was used only once-in that film-and then never again. I can't remember what it was, though. Anyone here know?
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:
tbeasley wrote:

That reminds me of another weakness from G vs. MGII that was used only once-in that film-and then never again. I can't remember what it was, though. Anyone here know?
Blasting the nerve cluster in his lower body, you mean?

Things like these examples are part of the reason that I think it's best not to have too much continuity in these movies. Both of those ideas work in the context of the movies in which they were used, but become storytelling stumbling blocks if you believe that they can still work in the next movie and the next and the next.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
tbeasley wrote: That was tapping into the link between dinosaurs and birds that was becoming more and more apparent at the time (and this was before Jurassic Park really popularized the idea in the public conscious!).

Things like these examples are part of the reason that I think it's best not to have too much continuity in these movies. Both of those ideas work in the context of the movies in which they were used, but become storytelling stumbling blocks if you believe that they can still work in the next movie and the next and the next.
Yes, that's exactly what it was. Thanks!

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

eabaker wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
tbeasley wrote: That was tapping into the link between dinosaurs and birds that was becoming more and more apparent at the time (and this was before Jurassic Park really popularized the idea in the public conscious!).

There might be a reason it was never brought up again. The whole two brains theory about dinosaurs was debunked around that time I believe, in fact its not even a nerve cluster. It's now theorised to be a sacral cavity that was used for storing glycogen.

True they may have just overlooked it for future films but Toho may have also released the error and stopped mentioning it.
Last edited by Monster X on Sat May 19, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Dr.Cgad wrote:a sequel to Shin Godzilla that has nothing to do with Shin Godzilla. And also flies for no explainable reason.
of course, it's about this young woman who can't sleep because Jeremy Irons keeps coming into her room at night and very arrestive tells her to "brush your teeth!". and everyone around thinks she making it up, this, of course, makes her snap and she starts to think she's Godzilla.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Hmmmmm…

Mutate him into a generic weaker monster, rename him Leviathan and kill him off. Oh wait that happened.

And I'd mention the idea of a film about kid playing with Godzilla's Son during a fever dream but unfortunately that actually came into existence to...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U9TVJdkUPs
Last edited by Monster X on Sat May 19, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

That's actually a great idea. Shin Gojira doen't need a sequel.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Destorogoji wrote:
That's actually a great idea. Shin Gojira doen't need a sequel.
It sure doesn't need films pumped out at a rate of 1 every 1-2 years.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That's fantastic news. 'Shin Godzilla 2' would be the worst idea for the Godzilla franchise; trying to add a follow-up would be thematically and logistically problematic. It works best as a one-off.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Anything involving having Super Godzilla and/or Bagan appear in a film

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I dunno... Bagan would be worthwhile just so that everyone would stop talking about Bagan. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Again, not talking about Shin Godzilla 2 which probably wouldn't work, but the business model.