TVovermind.com ranks their top 5 Godzilla films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tek
Monsterland Worker

TVovermind.com ranks their top 5 Godzilla films

Post by Tek »

https://www.tvovermind.com/movies/ranki ... ovies-time

Pretty basic. I definitely don't agree with some of their choices. #3 is way too high IMHO but I know some folks really like that movie.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: TVovermind.com ranks their top 5 Godzilla films

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Pretty lame list IMO. I mean top 5 is a tight category, but still. As much as I like LPG and GvMG2, both are definitely not top 5.

Tek
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tek »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Pretty lame list IMO. I mean top 5 is a tight category, but still. As much as I like LPG and GvMG2, both are definitely not top 5.
Yeah, I was a little more generous with my usage of the "basic" adjective, lol. Looks like a quick piece they whipped out in 15 minutes.

Still, a discussion can always manifest from such lists and so I shared it here. Plus, the list was made today :P

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Like any "top" list, it's all subjective on what makes them "better". I know people who only value fight scenes over anything else and I know some who weight the entire movie. Is this list ranking on "favorite/enjoyable"? Hard to say, though I generally think its based of their opinion and criteria of "best". I always find it best to establish what the "grading curve" is before hand - though not everyone is me :P

Honestly, I was surprised with #4. #1 is a given, though the reason given...
the best Godzilla movie ever simply because it was the first
Booooo. Bad reason

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

SpaceG92 wrote:Like any "top" list, it's all subjective on what makes them "better". I know people who only value fight scenes over anything else and I know some who weight the entire movie. Is this list ranking on "favorite/enjoyable"? Hard to say, though I generally think its based of their opinion and criteria of "best". I always find it best to establish what the "grading curve" is before hand - though not everyone is me :P

Honestly, I was surprised with #4. #1 is a given, though the reason given...
the best Godzilla movie ever simply because it was the first
Booooo. Bad reason
That's all true, but I get the feeling that this list specifically is just lazy and made by someone who doesn't know much. They based the GvMG2 choice, at least so far as we can tell from the description, from that one battle in the middle of the movie. They didn't even talk about the film. And the clip they chose is some weird fan edit with bizarre music, when they could easily have found the trailer. AND technically they got the title wrong.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

This is like the most basic bitch Top 5 Godzilla Movies list I think I've ever seen.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm surprised there's no Mothra vs Godzilla. I would have thought that was a given.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

KillCrites wrote:This is like the most basic bitch Top 5 Godzilla Movies list I think I've ever seen.
lmao yep
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'm surprised there's no Mothra vs Godzilla. I would have thought that was a given.
Ive seen a few recent "Best Godzilla film" rankings that don't include Mothra vs Godzilla which is extremely odd for how iconic it is. A lot of list like this will include G14 simply because "non cheesy big budget Hollywood movie with fancy special effects automatically makes it better".
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Lists are by nature highly subjective. I know I may be alone on this forum, but LPG is in my top five, I freaking love that movie. LPG, Shin, the original 54, and 84 easily make a best of four with vs Destroyah and 2000 competing for fifth place. That only one Showa entry makes my favorite list or the lack of Biollante would conflict with a lot of fans here.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

IMO, the only 2 that even belong on that list are G 54' and Shin. Was never much of a fan of Kong VS. G nor did I think G vs. MG 2 was all that great. And while Legendary's G 14' was still a good movie, it doesn't even come close to top 5 and shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as Shin which would be like comparing the original Jaws to Deep Blue Sea. Deep Blue Sea wasn't awful but is total garbage compared to Jaws so you see my point. And where is ROG (G 84')? Yeah, this guy doesn't know a skreonking thing about G IMO. Just some idiot who saw the Legendary one and then probably read about or saw clips of the rest and only put G 54' there because it was the first. This list is totally skreonking bull-skreonk. SMH =-/
Dedicated To Darkness..

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Kaeyas wrote:IMO, the only 2 that even belong on that list are G 54' and Shin. Was never much of a fan of Kong VS. G nor did I think G vs. MG 2 was all that great. And while Legendary's G 14' was still a good movie, it doesn't even come close to top 5 and shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as Shin which would be like comparing the original Jaws to Deep Blue Sea. Deep Blue Sea wasn't awful but is total garbage compared to Jaws so you see my point. And where is ROG (G 84')? Yeah, this guy doesn't know a skreonking thing about G IMO. Just some idiot who saw the Legendary one and then probably read about or saw clips of the rest and only put G 54' there because it was the first. This list is totally skreonking bull-skreonk. SMH =-/
Uh, I wouldn't say this guy doesn't know anything about Godzilla or is an idiot because a movie you like isn't on his list lol.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaeyas wrote:IMO, the only 2 that even belong on that list are G 54' and Shin. Was never much of a fan of Kong VS. G nor did I think G vs. MG 2 was all that great. And while Legendary's G 14' was still a good movie, it doesn't even come close to top 5 and shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as Shin which would be like comparing the original Jaws to Deep Blue Sea. Deep Blue Sea wasn't awful but is total garbage compared to Jaws so you see my point. And where is ROG (G 84')? Yeah, this guy doesn't know a skreonking thing about G IMO. Just some idiot who saw the Legendary one and then probably read about or saw clips of the rest and only put G 54' there because it was the first. This list is totally skreonking bull-skreonk. SMH =-/
I would hardly call comparing G14 to Shin garbage, because both are highly, highly divisive within the fandom and have more than their fair share of critics. Personally I love both, but you obviously prefer Shin. But your love for one doesn't make the other garbage in comparison.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Vakanai wrote:Lists are by nature highly subjective. I know I may be alone on this forum, but LPG is in my top five, I freaking love that movie. LPG, Shin, the original 54, and 84 easily make a best of four with vs Destroyah and 2000 competing for fifth place. That only one Showa entry makes my favorite list or the lack of Biollante would conflict with a lot of fans here.
Definitely not alone.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Personally, by a “this is what Godzilla’s all about” standpoint, I think the list should have looked like this…

5- Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
4- The Return Of Godzilla (1984)
3- Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
2- Shin Gojira (2016)
1- Gojira (1954)

Now, if it were purely entertainment entrees, I’d add Godzilla (2014), Godzilla (2000), Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965), Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster (1964)
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon May 07, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

From my own purely critical evaluation, with as little nostalgic or personal attachments as possible, my own top five would be:

5) LPG
4) Godzilla vs Biollante
3) GMK
2) Mothra vs Godzilla
1) Gojira
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I personally LOVE Son of Godzilla but it absolutely shouldn't belong on a list like this so G14 shouldn't either.

Top 5?
5. Godzilla vs Biollante/Return of Godzilla/Godzilla vs Destroyah/GMK?
4. King Kong vs Godzilla
3.Mothra vs Godzilla
2.Shin Godzilla
1.Godzilla 54

I'm not even a fan of KKvG or Destroyah but I can't deny they belong on a list like this more than Son of Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: I'm not even a fan of KKvG or Destroyah but I can't deny they belong on a list like this more than Son of Godzilla.
I dunno. I really love Godzilla vs Destoroyah, but I'd actually name Son of Godzilla the superior film.

It's interesting how, outside of Gojira and sometimes Mothra vs Godzilla, there's no real general consensuses like there are in other fandoms.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Well, based on how I critically view the Godzilla series...

1. Gojira
2. G84
3. GvB
4. LPG
5. Godzilla vs The Thing

Now, we want PERSONAL entertainment favorites? LPG, GvMG2, GTTHM, GvB, and GRA
Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Mon May 07, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

Vakanai wrote:
I would hardly call comparing G14 to Shin garbage, because both are highly, highly divisive within the fandom and have more than their fair share of critics. Personally I love both, but you obviously prefer Shin. But your love for one doesn't make the other garbage in comparison.
I suppose my wording was confusing and or incorrect. I do not dislike Legendary Godzilla. I think it's a good movie. I just don't think it holds a candle to Shin but that's just my opinion. I also assume(d) that this person isn't a G fan because IMO, his top 5 choices are just bizarre and jumbled. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It's just an assumption. More power to him if he is indeed a fan and just happens to prefers the films he listed.
Dedicated To Darkness..