Kaiju things to do in Japan

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Kaiju things to do in Japan

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Hey guys... I'm going to Japan! I'm going to have about a week there, and definitely be in Tokyo, and possibly Osaka as well. Apart from the various statues, and the Godzilla store and hotel, can anyone advise me what I should do? I have to keep in mind that I'm traveling with two friends who are not kaiju fans, so I probably won't be able to monopolize the trip and do everything, so I want to prioritize the best things.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Re: Kaiju things to do in Japan

Post by UltramanGoji »

If they're fine with going to toy stores and the like, a trip to Mandarake is a must.

Aside from that, just some general location spotting should be a fun time for both parties.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Hey guys... I'm going to Japan! I'm going to have about a week there, and definitely be in Tokyo, and possibly Osaka as well. Apart from the various statues, and the Godzilla store and hotel, can anyone advise me what I should do? I have to keep in mind that I'm traveling with two friends who are not kaiju fans, so I probably won't be able to monopolize the trip and do everything, so I want to prioritize the best things.
If you have time, I recommend visiting Hiroshima. Apart from the blindingly obvious, it's a wonderful city that lacks the same levels of crowds and smog that populates Tokyo.

For kaiju-related adventures, your best bet is tracking down Toho Studios. It's in a quiet little area of Tokyo, almost but not quite suburban.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:For kaiju-related adventures, your best bet is tracking down Toho Studios. It's in a quiet little area of Tokyo, almost but not quite suburban.
I was under the impression that Toho Studios didn't do tours or let anyone inside. Is that not true, or do you just mean it's still worth it to go stand outside? If nothing else, I would be down to see what 'not quite suburban' Tokyo looks like. :lol:
UltramanGoji wrote:If they're fine with going to toy stores and the like, a trip to Mandarake is a must.

Aside from that, just some general location spotting should be a fun time for both parties.
Thanks! I'm sure they'd be just fine with that.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:For kaiju-related adventures, your best bet is tracking down Toho Studios. It's in a quiet little area of Tokyo, almost but not quite suburban.
I was under the impression that Toho Studios didn't do tours or let anyone inside. Is that not true, or do you just mean it's still worth it to go stand outside? If nothing else, I would be down to see what 'not quite suburban' Tokyo looks like. :lol:
Nah, they don't do tours. At least not while I was there. But it's cool to be able to stand outside the soundstages. They got an enormous painting of Mothra on one of them, as well as a two-meter Godzilla statue, if that interests you.

"Not quite suburban" Tokyo is... quiet, considering the city. I went there during cicada season and it was about the only spot in the city that they weren't screeching constantly. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Worth going to Kadokawa as well, apparently there are huge statues of Gamera and Daimajin.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

So I am currently on my trip now. I am in Vietnam, and arriving in Osaka on May 23. From there we visit Kobe, Kyoto and finally Tokyo. Already in Vietnam, I’ve seen a lot of Godzilla and Ultraman figures available for dirt cheap. I picked myself up some little Gigan and Mechagodzilla statues because I know they won’t be cheap in Japan.

If anyone knows some more specifics of where I should go along my path in Japan, I’d love to hear! :)
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuCanadian
Young Farmer

Post by KaijuCanadian »

KaijuCanuck wrote:So I am currently on my trip now. I am in Vietnam, and arriving in Osaka on May 23. From there we visit Kobe, Kyoto and finally Tokyo. Already in Vietnam, I’ve seen a lot of Godzilla and Ultraman figures available for dirt cheap. I picked myself up some little Gigan and Mechagodzilla statues because I know they won’t be cheap in Japan.

If anyone knows some more specifics of where I should go along my path in Japan, I’d love to hear! :)

Those sound like lovely figurines! Also maybe I should change my name - can mods help with that? Pleased to see two of us on here!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

KaijuCanadian wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:So I am currently on my trip now. I am in Vietnam, and arriving in Osaka on May 23. From there we visit Kobe, Kyoto and finally Tokyo. Already in Vietnam, I’ve seen a lot of Godzilla and Ultraman figures available for dirt cheap. I picked myself up some little Gigan and Mechagodzilla statues because I know they won’t be cheap in Japan.

Those sound like lovely figurines! Also maybe I should change my name - can mods help with that? Pleased to see two of us on here!
Thanks! That’s pretty funny about the name - guess we’re just both super awesome. 8-)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Uhhhh:

When you’re there, look up on google maps a store called Mandrake. They’re second hand stores, but big. They usually have a large selection of vinyl figures. There’s one in Tokyo, Shibuya that’s awesome. It’s nearby some good food places and some fun stores so it’ll be good for your friends as well. Pretty much if you punch in “toy stores” near me in google you’ll get a lot of results.

Akihabara has a lot of vinyl figures and shops, but it’s total weeb land.

Seperately, in Uneo (Tokyo) there’s a large park, zoo and tons of museums. Great to bring friends.

Try visiting the new Shin statue.

In terms of Osaka, there’s tons of hobby shops if you just walk down this Main Street, I don’t rememeber the name, but basically in Osaka there’s tons of places.

Also what’s that about smog? Tokyo is legit one of the cleanest cities.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Hey guys... I'm going to Japan! I'm going to have about a week there, and definitely be in Tokyo, and possibly Osaka as well. Apart from the various statues, and the Godzilla store and hotel, can anyone advise me what I should do? I have to keep in mind that I'm traveling with two friends who are not kaiju fans, so I probably won't be able to monopolize the trip and do everything, so I want to prioritize the best things.
If you like Ultraman, Kaiju Sakaba is about the most fun you can have for dinner. Check my blog for some info on what it's like--I've been to the now-closed Osaka one as well as the one I'll link you to on Trip Advisor, which is easily accessed in the Tokyo area:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... Kanto.html
Last edited by Jomei on Tue May 22, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

If you really are a true fan, you should try to see the new anime film if you can. Perfect timing. :huge:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Uhhhh:

When you’re there, look up on google maps a store called Mandrake. They’re second hand stores, but big. They usually have a large selection of vinyl figures. There’s one in Tokyo, Shibuya that’s awesome. It’s nearby some good food places and some fun stores so it’ll be good for your friends as well. Pretty much if you punch in “toy stores” near me in google you’ll get a lot of results.

Akihabara has a lot of vinyl figures and shops, but it’s total weeb land.

Seperately, in Uneo (Tokyo) there’s a large park, zoo and tons of museums. Great to bring friends.

Try visiting the new Shin statue.

In terms of Osaka, there’s tons of hobby shops if you just walk down this Main Street, I don’t rememeber the name, but basically in Osaka there’s tons of places.

Also what’s that about smog? Tokyo is legit one of the cleanest cities.
Thanks! I’m definitely going to try and check out Mandrake, and I’ll try to hit up some other shops as well.
Jomei wrote:
If you like Ultraman, Kaiju Sakaba is about the most fun you can have for dinner. Check my blog for some info on what it's like--I've been to the now-closed Osaka one as well as the one I'll link you to on Trip Advisor, which is easily accessed in the Tokyo area:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... Kanto.html
Woah, that actually looks incredible. How is it price-wise?
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

If you really are a true fan, you should try to see the new anime film if you can. Perfect timing. :huge:
I thought about this... but I speak zero Japanese. I would have absolutely no idea what’s going on.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Woah, that actually looks incredible. How is it price-wise?
Pretty par for the course for a Japanese pub. When I go to a place like this with someone, I typically spend approximately 3000-4000 yen including 3-4 drinks and several menu items split between us. I have some photos from the menus here: http://jimpluff.tumblr.com/post/1554448 ... se-i#notes
Last edited by Jomei on Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Jomei wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Woah, that actually looks incredible. How is it price-wise?
Pretty par for the course for a Japanese pub. When I go to a place like this with someone, I typically spend approximately 3000-4000 yen including 3-4 drinks and several menu items split between us. I have some photos from the menus here: http://jimpluff.tumblr.com/post/1554448 ... se-i#notes
Awesome, thanks for the further info! That sounds pretty reasonable, from what I’ve heard about Japan prices generally. I think we’re actually gonna check this out!

Just got to Osaka. Already loving it!

Added in 2 days 21 hours 50 minutes :
So, my friends are awesome and surprised me with us staying in the Godzilla hotel during our stay in Tokyo. I thought we were just staying in a hostel like we have been the entire time so far. They kept it 100% secret the whole trip up to now. My one friend even used all of his frequent flyer points to help offset the cost.

It’s pretty awesome. We couldn’t get the Godzilla room unfortunately, but it’s still great. The head roars and has light effects on the hour, and the lobby has a lot of Goji decorations as well as a mini Godzilla store.