The Kaiju Boom

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cookson
Futurian

Re: The Kaiju Boom

Post by Cookson »

It's a "odd" kaiju boom... Or Renaissance. Whatever you want to call it. Toho is the only Japanese studio doing anything kaiju related right now. Luckily they're making killer profits! The stuff here in the states are more interesting to talk about. Pacific Rim is most likely done now with the seconds lackluster box office performance. We're lucky we got a second film. The MonsterVerse most likely will end after GvsKong (sounds like Toho has plans after this for the character... More on this later). The only other potential franchise is Rampage. It's possible we'll get another film because as of this post it's doing good at the box office. So, after 2020-2021 I think the western kaiju films will go away quietly. I don't count any future Cloverfield film.

So, back to Toho. Shin Godzilla has opened a huge door for the character there. Even though it was the TYPE of Godzilla film for the reasoning for being so successful, it still brought in a ton of profit. The Monster Planet anime films arent doing as good as Shin, but they'll still bring in profit. So, after GvsKong Toho wants to co produce films. I'm in the belief that'll be with China. They want in on the Chinese revenue. The Kaiju "boom" or "Renaissance" will continue after 2020, but it'll be with Toho again. Would be nice for Gamera to sneak in there.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I wonder if once American audiences start to lose interest in the genre that the momentum will move to Japanese filmmakers seeing Toho's evident success.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

What do you mean?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I'm a bit hesitant to say that we're in a Kaiju Boom because if I do it might come to an end. I know all the big Hollywood monster flicks are that coming out and getting made. I know of a few Japanese Monster films that are on the horizon.
  • Daikaiju Mono
    Deep Sea Monster Raiga vs. Lava Beast Ohga
    The Great Buddha arrival
    Howl beyond the fog
I'm sure I've forgotten something, anyway I'm sure there will be something low budget stuff that will be coming as well.
I've heard some about The Great Buddha Arrival, but not the others.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

edgaguirus wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:I'm a bit hesitant to say that we're in a Kaiju Boom because if I do it might come to an end. I know all the big Hollywood monster flicks are that coming out and getting made. I know of a few Japanese Monster films that are on the horizon.
  • Daikaiju Mono
    Deep Sea Monster Raiga vs. Lava Beast Ohga
    The Great Buddha arrival
    Howl beyond the fog
I'm sure I've forgotten something, anyway I'm sure there will be something low budget stuff that will be coming as well.
I've heard some about The Great Buddha Arrival, but not the others.
Daikaiju Mono is a comedy by the looks of it.
Giant Pro-Wrestlers protect Japan from a rampaging monster.

Deep Sea Monster Raiga vs. Lava Beast Ohga, is the third part of a trilogy. the first two being, Deep Sea Monster Reigo and Raiga: The Deep Sea Monster.

Howl beyond the fog is a Kickstarter project from Daisuke Sato based off of Ray Bradbury’s short story The Fog Horn.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Oooh, The Foghorn was the inspiration for The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Fog Horn is one of my favorite short stories.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.