Mandela Effect in Godzilla

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Mandela Effect in Godzilla

Post by LockBite »

For those who don’t know, the Mandela Effect is a phenomenon where you remember something a certain way, often vividly, and it turns out to be different in reality. For example, you might remember Curious George having a tail, but he actually never did. I have an example for Godzilla and I was wondering if any of you did, too.

I remember seeing a broadcast version of a Godzilla movie where Godzilla fights Anguirus and breaks his jaw. I found out later that this was the Fake Godzilla in Mechagodzilla when I watched the actual film, but when I did, the scene played out differently. In my memory, they were fighting on an outcropping on the side of a mountain, and most notably, it was at night. Other than those two details, it was basically the same.

I guess I just thought it would be fun to get people to sound off so we could all imagine alternate versions of these films.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Mandela Effect in Godzilla

Post by Ivo-goji »

My memory is always perfect so this never happens to me.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Didn't happen to me, but before 2000 the idea of godzilla being green with fire breath was a massive example of this.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I remember seeing Gigan fighting in the climax of GMK. I have a weird mind.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Not quite the same think, but I kept thinking that various scenes in the Heisei era (like Miki on the oil rig) were in vs. Mothra or Mechagodzilla II, until I realized from a rewatch that pretty much all of the favorite scenes I remembered were all in vs. Biollante. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I remember, as a little kid, watching Godzilla on Monster Island, but I remember it opening with the shots of KG and Gigan emerging from the crystals, I remember a voiceover explaining this as part of the origin of all monsters (I think I may have run it together with the TV opening of Terror of Mechagodzilla, since I certainly watched it as part of a marathon), and I remember the entire movie taking place on Monster Island, with no humans appearing at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I remember GINO being good.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don’t think I’m alone on this, because I remember James Rolfe references it in his own Mandela effect video, but I used to think in ebirah horror of the deep Godzilla picked up the woman in the film.

I could have sworn, in the English dub of Godzilla X MG, that Gigan was briefly mentioned, as one of the monsters that Kiryu would defend Tokyo from.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I don’t think I’m alone on this, because I remember James Rolfe references it in his own Mandela effect video, but I used to think in ebirah horror of the deep Godzilla picked up the woman in the film.
Yes! Same here!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

When I was a really little kid, for some reason I remembered Orga being a giant worm. I also recalled there being scenes of Godzilla walking on all fours in Godzilla 1998.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dr. Professor wrote:When I was a really little kid, for some reason I remembered Orga being a giant worm. I also recalled there being scenes of Godzilla walking on all fours in Godzilla 1998.
There is kind of that one scene of him crawling over Audrey and Animal through the subway tunnel.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

I always thought that Gabara was in DAM for some reason. Guess I mistook Gorosaurus as Gabara.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

I always thought that Gabara was in DAM for some reason. Guess I mistook Gorosaurus as Gabara.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

I remember Showa Gigans color scheme being black and gold

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I used to think Gigan was a big cockroach, I assume it was because that's what the Space Hunter Nebula M are under their disguises and that was the only thing I remembered from that movie for a while so Godzilla vs Gigan was just "The movie where Godzilla and his friend fight a dragon and a giant cockroach" to me.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

I distinctly remember Godzilla's famous sunset arrival in Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster being filmed much closer to his face than the far away shot that it is, and that it was set in an industrial area with a bunch of factories and smokestacks around instead of nothing but the sun in the background.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:When I was a really little kid, for some reason I remembered Orga being a giant worm. I also recalled there being scenes of Godzilla walking on all fours in Godzilla 1998.
There is kind of that one scene of him crawling over Audrey and Animal through the subway tunnel.
Nah, I remembered it happening out in the open.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

My cousins recorded Godzilla vs. Dstoroyah, in like... 1997 or 98, from some store that we used to go to. So I remember seeing it and remembering that Godzilla freezes, then breaks apart, and out of the dust Godzilla junior arises and the move ends. When I finally bought the film from Sam's Goodies in 2000, and rewatched it, that didn't happen.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I remember thinking that GINO and Godzilla 1985 shared a piece of music. They definitely do not.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

KingKaiju wrote:So I remember seeing it and remembering that Godzilla freezes, then breaks apart, and out of the dust Godzilla junior arises and the move ends.
That sounds awesome. I wonder if it's possible for someone to edit it together like that, lol.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."