Mandela Effect in Godzilla

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Mandela Effect in Godzilla

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Hey, Anguirus is truly awesome whether he wins his battles or not. And don't forget it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:^ Hey, Anguirus is truly awesome whether he wins his battles or not. And don't forget it.
I know that Jag...& I'd never forget it...
I was just stating that I'm incredibly bias
when it comes to the spike covered tank.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Well, Angilas is very popular (though from my understanding more so among English-speaking fans than in Japan). As for getting smacked around, sure, he does, but what matters is that he keeps getting up.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:Well, Angilas is very popular (though from my understanding more so among English-speaking fans than in Japan).
And the reason for that would be?
eabaker wrote:As for getting smacked around, sure, he does, but what matters is that he keeps getting up.
Its not the size of the kaiju in the fight...its the the size of the fight in the kaiju then?

;)
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:Well, Angilas is very popular (though from my understanding more so among English-speaking fans than in Japan).
eabaker wrote:As for getting smacked around, sure, he does, but what matters is that he keeps getting up.
Its not the size of the kaiju in the fight...its the the size of the fight in the kaiju then?

;)
I by far hear Anguirus more than Angilas.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Grievous wrote:

;)
What do you mean "hear"? The two are pronounced the same way; they're just different ways of transliterating the same katakana.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Grievous wrote: And the reason for that would be?

;)
What do you mean "hear"? The two are pronounced the same way; they're just different ways of transliterating the same katakana.
Oh my bad I thought you meant the name and not the character himself. So would you say Anguirus is more popular in Japan than Baragon?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:
eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I by far hear Anguirus more than Angilas.
Oh my bad I thought you meant the name and not the character himself. So would you say Anguirus is more popular in Japan than Baragon?
My understanding is that Baragon is more popular in Japan. No idea how true that really is.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’ve never seen anyone talk about this, and it’s one of the weirdest things ever, but has anyone watched the original TOMG dub/remembered it recently?

It opens with this actually long re-cap, of the Godzilla series, strangely enough. You’d expect it to go and just focus on Mechagodzilla, and the film prior, but it actually covers most of the showa series. What’s really strange about it, is how much it distorts everything, and I’m sure as a child this distorted my view of the franchise.

For example, it more explicitly makes Godzilla a hero, with him explicitly “saving humanity” or standing up for them. In addition, there’s some weird editing choices, where the narrator describes the loose plots of IATOM and the alien invasion films, but shows Godzilla fighting Kumonga, leading the viewers to believe that Kumonga was controlled by aliens.

It’s really strange, and I’m just curious if anyone thinks their views might’ve been distorted by it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I’ve never seen anyone talk about this, and it’s one of the weirdest things ever, but has anyone watched the original TOMG dub/remembered it recently?

It opens with this actually long re-cap, of the Godzilla series, strangely enough. You’d expect it to go and just focus on Mechagodzilla, and the film prior, but it actually covers most of the showa series. What’s really strange about it, is how much it distorts everything, and I’m sure as a child this distorted my view of the franchise.

For example, it more explicitly makes Godzilla a hero, with him explicitly “saving humanity” or standing up for them. In addition, there’s some weird editing choices, where the narrator describes the loose plots of IATOM and the alien invasion films, but shows Godzilla fighting Kumonga, leading the viewers to believe that Kumonga was controlled by aliens.

It’s really strange, and I’m just curious if anyone thinks their views might’ve been distorted by it.
I remember seeing that as a little kid. I think I saw that one and Gigan (or should I say Godzilla on Monster Island?) on the same day, because I remember associating the shot of Ghidorah and Gigan emerging from crystals as being part of that whole sequence.

That cut of the movie wasn't available on home video until the Classic Media set came out, so while I knew that intro existed (and that I had seen it at some point), there as really no way to see it. I was super excited when that edition was finally released.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

This is a minor one, but I remember a scene from my first viewing of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) where Fake Godzilla kind of tromps down a ridge into a valley enclosure before his battle with Anguirus.
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ It's very strange, how many of us misremember that particular battle...

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Zarm wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:
LockBite wrote:
I remember seeing a broadcast version of a Godzilla movie where Godzilla fights Anguirus and breaks his jaw. I found out later that this was the Fake Godzilla in Mechagodzilla when I watched the actual film, but when I did, the scene played out differently. In my memory, they were fighting on an outcropping on the side of a mountain, and most notably, it was at night. Other than those two details, it was basically the same.
Now, see, this one is interesting, because I also remembered a mountain being involved in this battle. I first saw vs. Mechagodzilla at the age of about eight, in '97 or '98, and didn't see it again until somewhere in the mid-2000s. My recollection of the first viewing had a distance shot of Anguirus on the left side of the screen, walking along a barren, sandy mountain side and kind of minding his own business, when Fake Godzilla approaches him from the right and attacks. I didn't remember any of the fight beyond that, though, and was surprised to find how differently it actually plays out upon later viewings.
That... kinda sounds familiar to me, too, actually.

Are we sure this isn't like TNG: Schisms, or Close Encounters, and it's just a sign that we've all been experimented on by the same aliens? :)
I wanted to dig this back up, because I’ve been thinking about this for the past year and I SWEAR I saw this fight with Anguirus on the side of a tan, dusty mountain. Anguirus doesn’t even get in any attacks, Fake Godzilla just beats him down and breaks his jaw.

I was convinced by others that this was just a confused memory, but no. I remember this!
Last edited by LockBite on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, same here. We can't all be crazy in the exact same way, can we? I want to believe...

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

How else would Mecha-G have the metal shining from his arm? Bc trusty ol Anguirus sensai gave him the quick spike lunge, I remember it vividly. Then proceeded to get his jaw ripped open. This all happened by some hills I believe

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In the opening of G vs Mg, before the main title, you do see Anguilas walking around a barren looking landscape.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

James Rolfe (The Angry Video Game Nerd) brought up once that he remembered a scene from Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster where Godzilla picks up Daiyo. This is an interesting one because it almost feels plausible for this film given that some of the King Kong traits leaked into the final product, but obviously, the scene never happened.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

So wait... where does the Anguirus fight take place then?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzillander wrote:This is a minor one, but I remember a scene from my first viewing of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) where Fake Godzilla kind of tromps down a ridge into a valley enclosure before his battle with Anguirus.
Wait, what the fuck I remember this too...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

i thought the final battle in Godzilla 2000 took place in New York for some reason.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!